Teen motorcyclist dies after being hit by truck at traffic stop

GettyImages-92272747.jpg

A teenager on a motorcycle was killed yesterday when a 10-wheel truck crashed into her while she was waiting at a traffic light. The tragic incident took place on the Surat-Nasan Road in Surat Thani province in southern Thailand.

The police at Khun Talay were notified of the fatal accident at noon on August 19. They then asked the Nithi Kuson Stattha Rescue Foundation to help examine the scene.

As per a report by SiamRath, the teen's black Yamaha motorcycle was found near the traffic light. The lifeless body of the 17-year-old girl, Pailin, was found 10 metres away from her bike.

Pailin was in her school uniform at the time of the incident. She had been hit by the truck, resulting in deadly head injuries that led to her death on the spot. Rescue personnel discovered a note in her bag that had allowed her to leave school early.

The truck that hit Pailin was found parked 20 metres away from her. The driver claimed that he was coming down from a bridge at high speed and couldn't stop at the red light.

Police say Pailin had left school early to visit her hospitalised uncle. She was riding alone to the hospital and had stopped at the traffic light when the truck hit her.

SiamRath noted that close to 500 car crashes have happened at this particular spot in the last three years. Consequently, a 45 km/hr speed limit for trucks and buses, and a 60 km/hr limit for cars and motorcycles, have been set by the local traffic police. However, many truck drivers ignore this limit, leading to the continued high rate of accidents there.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

A Complete waste of life through no fault of her own.

Key comments in this article: 

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver claimed that he was coming down from a bridge at high speed and couldn't stop at the red light.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

SiamRath noted that close to 500 car crashes have happened at this particular spot in the last three years. Consequently, a 45 km/hr speed limit for trucks and buses, and a 60 km/hr limit for cars and motorcycles, have been set by the local traffic police. However, many truck drivers ignore this limit, leading to the continued high rate of accidents there.

So truck driver speeding then...   this was no accident, it was death due to dangerous driving. 

Would a helmet have saved the girls life ?? (no mention of a helmet in the article, but thats a natural assumption here that no helmet is worn).

-------

I hate being the first person stopping a lights... and when I do so, I ensure I am fully to the right or fully to the left of the road....  that wont save the poor girl, but it may make someone notice and made a difference to them. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The truck that hit Pailin was found parked 20 metres away from her. The driver claimed that he was coming down from a bridge at high speed and couldn't stop at the red light.

Are the police listening on that rubbish. Coming down from a bridge at high speed? 10 wheel trucks are not allowed to drive at high speed. They are allowed 80 km/h maximum, in this case much lower. Also, it´s always a drivers duty to not drive in more speed than can stop for red light. Just charge him with murder!

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A Complete waste of life through no fault of her own.

Key comments in this article: 

So truck driver speeding then...   this was no accident, it was death due to dangerous driving. 

Would a helmet have saved the girls life ?? (no mention of a helmet in the article, but thats a natural assumption here that no helmet is worn).

-------

I hate being the first person stopping a lights... and when I do so, I ensure I am fully to the right or fully to the left of the road....  that wont save the poor girl, but it may make someone notice and made a difference to them. 

A lot of assumptions as usual. It was an accident, there was no intent to kill the kid.

There had been 494 accidents there over the last three years, one every two  days, maybe there is more to it than just blaming the truck driver who had the decency to stop and assist with enquiries.

And I doubt if a helmet would have done much being dragged  down the road under a ten wheeler gas truck.

RIP Pailin

16 is too young to die

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, MalcolmB said:

A lot of assumptions as usual. It was an accident, there was no intent to kill the kid.

There had been 494 accidents there over the last three years, one every two  days, maybe there is more to it than just blaming the truck driver who had the decency to stop and assist with enquiries.

And I doubt if a helmet would have done much being dragged  down the road under a ten wheeler gas truck.

RIP Pailin

16 is too young to die

Perhaps if the truck driver was going slower he could have stopped before the red light as he should be able to do.

If he was going too fast to stop at the red light, then he was an accident looking for somewhere to happen. He found the place to have his accident and it cost the life of a young girl.

I have every sympathy for the girl and her family and nothing but contempt for him.

If you are travelling too fast, take your foot off the throttle, put the brakes on as hard as you can and keep changing gear downwards as fast as you can and use engine braking to slow you down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Are the police listening on that rubbish. Coming down from a bridge at high speed? 10 wheel trucks are not allowed to drive at high speed. They are allowed 80 km/h maximum, in this case much lower. Also, it´s always a drivers duty to not drive in more speed than can stop for red light. Just charge him with murder!

Agreed..  It is about time that the penalties are significantly greater than they are... 

Lives are lost through carelessness while others want to downplay the seriousness of the actions leading up to so many road fatalities....

When hypothesising over the exact cause of such an incident there are little if any redeeming possibilities to side with the driver...     though some just think such behavior is down to an accident... fate perhaps...    Strange how far fewer of these accidents occur in nations with stronger penalties for compromising traffic laws. 

That said: on a recent trip to the UK I was astonished to see how many drivers are still using their phones while driving. 

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps if the truck driver was going slower he could have stopped before the red light as he should be able to do.

If he was going too fast to stop at the red light, then he was an accident looking for somewhere to happen. He found the place to have his accident and it cost the life of a young girl.

I have every sympathy for the girl and her family and nothing but contempt for him.

If you are travelling too fast, take your foot off the throttle, put the brakes on as hard as you can and keep changing gear downwards as fast as you can and use engine braking to slow you down.

He's an admitted drink driver who's looking to victim blame or at least blame 'fate' in road traffic 'incidents' as that justifies the internal rhetoric that 'when he does kill someoene while driving drunk' it would have been 'an accident due to fate' or their own fault even if he were fully sober... 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed..  It is about time that the penalties are significantly greater than they are... 

Lives are lost through carelessness while others want to downplay the seriousness of the actions leading up to so many road fatalities....

When hypothesising over the exact cause of such an incident there are little if any redeeming possibilities to side with the driver...     though some just think such behavior is down to an accident... fate perhaps...    Strange how far fewer of these accidents occur in nations with stronger penalties for compromising traffic laws. 

That said: on a recent trip to the UK I was astonished to see how many drivers are still using their phones while driving. 

100% agree. Unfortunately, this is a disease that is worldwide.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

who's looking to victim blame

You.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

11 hours ago, MalcolmB said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

who's looking to victim blame

You.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then your reading comprehension is a shoddy as your character.... 

One is a question - could a helmet have made a difference ? - she was impacted and suffered severe head injuries - thats not blaming her for the incident. 

On the other hand you want to call the incident an 'accident'... which it is not... Just because something is unintentional does not make in an accident.

The cause is likely a form of negligence - driver speeding, unable to stop... 

Or...  in your case, drink driving and if having an accident you would be criminally negligent - which is why you attempt deflect blame from the truck driver because you know one day you'll be the one at fault.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

So are you.

Trolling from a pathetic drunk driver. 

I don't drive or ride when over the legal limit....   You on the other hand openly admit to doing so.

But even more dangerously, on your motorbike.

This highlights your selfishness....   you think drink riding on a motorcycle is more dangerous because you only consider yourself. Drink Driving is more dangerous to everyone else around you... You've showcased your self-centeredness in that very comment. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

you think drink riding on a motorcycle is more dangerous

You are really just showing either that you will argue about anything or you are just plain stupid.

Riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous drunk because you need to balance  which is affected by  alcohol.  Thank God you didn’t kill anybody.

tried it a few times myself, and decided it wasn’t safe so I don’t do it anymore. Especially in areas where sand gets on the road. At night.
I hardly ride anywhere anymore even sober. Too dangerous as statistics prove. I think Pailin would probably have survived if she was in a car.

A trip to the panel beaters, not a funeral.

RIP Pailin

16 was too young. 

PS if you are going to correct someone Richard, please double check your facts otherwise you will make yourself look like a fool.

Again.

Just now, MalcolmB said:

you think drink riding on a motorcycle is more dangerous

You are really just showing either that you will argue about anything or you are just plain stupid.

Riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous drunk because you need to balance  which is affected by  alcohol.  Thank God you didn’t kill anybody.

You're not intelligent enough to understand the point... 

You drink driving in car is dangerous for anyone else around you - thus is selfish and stupid. 

It is more dangerous for the individual riding  a motorcycle while drunk than those others around them (in most cases).

You have claimed riding while drunk is 'more dangerous' because you are so selfish you only care about 'yourself' and in this scenario you have projected yourself as the drunk rider and not the innocent victim getting hit by the car you drive.

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

PS if you are going to correct someone Richard, please double check your facts otherwise you will make yourself look like a fool.

You make yourself look a fool in every thread you post in - drunk driver and in this thread we can add 'selfish' to the list of reprehensible character traits you exhibit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

On the other hand you want to call the incident an 'accident'

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
"he had an accident at the factory"

I go and argue with the dictionary.

When you kill or injure someone through your drunk driving, its not a accident. 

Its unfortunate, its unexpected, its unintentional - but it most certainly is not an accident. 

When a careless driver kills someone through their inattention, its not a accident. 

Its unfortunate, its unexpected, its unintentional - but it most certainly is not an accident. 

YOU want these things to be referred to as an accident because in your broken mind it allows you to continue to 'drive while drunk' with the idea that an incident, injuries or deaths you cause are an 'accident'....    because you didn't mean to do it.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you kill or injure someone through your drunk driving, it’s not an accident. 

Stop carrying on.

30 years incident free. 

Most road deaths are caused by sober people.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT - I won't get dragged into any more arguing with you - because you really are a despicable trollish and completely dislikable fool who sucks the oxygen out of every thread you post in..... 

Actually a highly awarded poster with many “popular posts” 

It is only you and three others that have a problem. And you four all seem to have issues with other members also. It is predictable.

So I don’t take it personally.

It is you, not me. The older two are going through grumpy old men menopause.

The other two I suspect are on the spectrum.

4 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you kill or injure someone through your drunk driving, it’s not an accident. 

Stop carrying on.

30 years incident free. 

Most road deaths are caused by sober people.

Aw gawd - you really are not very intelligent at all...   your logic actually defies logic. 

Most road deaths are caused by someone doing something they shouldn't... 

speeding, using a mobile phone, running lights, driving dangerously...

... and in 2022 in the US 32% of all traffic crash fatalities in the United States involved drunk drivers (with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher).

So... you may be 30 years incident free.... but stating as as stupid as the idiot who states 'he doesn't need to wear a seatbelt, been driving for 30 years and never needed one'.... !!! 

(though, I wonder if you'll struggle to comprehend that point - the basic logic may well be beyond your lobotomised logic).

And back to the 'never argue with an idiot comment' - no more responses to you on this thread from me unless you can form an intelligent argument as you really are simply too dumb and trollish to bother with.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There could have been 10 million other 'incidents'..   none of that removes blame from a truck driver who hit a stationary motorcyclist waiting at traffic lights. 

Stopping and 'assisting with enquiries' has nothing to do with fault or blame. 

Sadly there's no limit to the level some trolls will sink to, even defending reckless drivers.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Sadly there's no limit to the level some trolls will sink to, even defending reckless drivers.

With 494 accidents in 3 years there I think it might be an issue of the traffic lights being too close to the bottom of the bridge and not being visible.

If 10 accidents happened there in three years perhaps you could blame the drivers, a hundred would be stretching it, but 500???

Every 2 days!!!!  We obviously have a problem. 

Come on people, use your brains for once. Nothing against this wonderful free forum but the information is often wrong, badly translated, AI generated and the photos are never actually of the actual incident. 

The driver did NOT say he was speeding. He said he was going too fast to stop in time (because of the situation). Poorly designed intersection and driving a heavy tanker. 

The dumber people are the ones more often that revert to the “troll” accusation rather than do a bit of easy research and find the real facts. Research that would be quicker than writing your long winded posts based on inaccurate information.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

The driver did NOT say he was speeding. He said he was going too fast to stop in time (because of the situation). Poorly designed intersection and driving a heavy tanker. 

The dumber people are the ones more often that revert to the “troll” accusation rather than do a bit of easy research and find the real facts. Research that would be quicker than writing your long winded posts based on inaccurate information.

The accurate information as reported: The driver said "He was going to fast to stop in time"....  

Regardless of the flaws in the road design, he was going too fast to stop....  and consequently killed someone..... 

So... he was either speeding, or driving too fast for the road conditions / visible area of road. 

When you kill someone because you were driving drunk, you'll probably blame poor road lighting not your impaired reactions. 

The 'Troll accusation' is often levied at you, because no one believes someone is actually that stupid, thus, the thought is that you must be on the wind-up (trolling people) - once it is realised that you are not trolling, there is one simple remaining conclusion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1