Government to Restrict Use of Digital Gadgets in Schools

children-using-technology-619371154.jpg

The Education Ministry has voiced its intent to limit the use of digital gadgets in schools, sparked by worries over the negative effects on children's development. Education Minister, Pol Gen Permpoon Chidchob, mentioned research that suggests excessive use of smartphones and tablets can distract students and slow down their intellectual growth.

This same strategy has been adopted across the globe, with some nations prohibiting students under 16 from using digital gadgets during school time. In Thailand, it has been found through research that children who engage with screens for more than six and a half hours daily tend to display lower IQs and shorter concentration spans.

To tackle these problems, the Education Council Office has suggested an increase in outdoor activities, such as music classes and sports. They are also advocating for more reading and storytelling periods to increase children's ability to focus. Parents will be urged to spend more quality time with their kids to lessen their dependence on digital gadgets.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

hmmmmm lower iq cos of digital gadgets?

thing is... why is the iq lower with the generation pre-gadgets?

what affected them?

That's like people with sloppy writing. It does not just suddenly happen.

Parents don't care and they want quiet kids and give them some screens.

That is not good for the kids, at least not too much of it.

All that is not exactly breaking news. It is well known to anybody who paid attention.

But then, there are unfortunately too many parents who somehow "think" their kids will grow up and will be fine without any decent parenting. Here is a hint: It doesn't work like that.

Any responsible parent should know this since years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

hmmmmm lower iq cos of digital gadgets?

thing is... why is the iq lower with the generation pre-gadgets?

what affected them?

That was not a very well thought comment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

agree to disagree. care to explain?

for me thai society and thais in general has been stagnant iq wise for as long as i have been here... and that is before the advent of smart phones... now they blame tech... i think the problem runs deeper than that. hence my comment.

education maybe?

They said it lower the iQ. That makes stagnant fade away, right?

It´s common knowledge that science has shown results of lower intelligence, lack of concentration as well as anger issues related to people using to much time in their phone screens. If you missed that, I can only feel sorry for you. Also hope you pass an IQ test with flying color, even as it does not look bright looking at your posts and replies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s common knowledge that science has shown results of lower intelligence, lack of concentration as well as anger issues related to people using to much time in their phone screens. If you missed that, I can only feel sorry for you. Also hope you pass an IQ test with flying color, even as it does not look bright looking at your posts and replies. 

In OZ most schools have banned mobile phones for that reason also control bullying 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

and i used to like your replies. ya just sunk your ship mate. turning this personal is starting to look like baiting. based on what you said and how you write... you should give up some of your screen time to say... take a walk? i feel you need an eq test and likely it will be as low as your iq... poor guy

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, still kicking said:

In OZ most schools have banned mobile phones for that reason also control bullying 

Yes, and it´s the right way to go. This has been going too too far. You see people everywhere, always in their phones. Even stopping at red lights, they need to up with phone. We need to be careful so they are not in the phones driving. It´s soo silly, how the world has turned out.

• Confused 1

Good idea Education Minister, Pol Gen Permpoon Chidchob, drag Thailand back into the 19th century instead of dragging Thailand into the 21st century.

On a more serious note, what educational qualifications has the general got to qualify him to become the Education Minister?

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

This has been going too too far. You see people everywhere, always in their phones. Even stopping at red lights, they need to up with phone.

and trolls who are always on the lookout for an opportunity to write something only they think is clever... right, Gottrid?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

and i used to like your replies. ya just sunk your ship mate. turning this personal is starting to look like baiting. based on what you said and how you write... you should give up some of your screen time to say... take a walk? i feel you need an eq test and likely it will be as low as your iq... poor guy

You know, I am working in front of a screen, or actually 3 28 inch screens every day. No problem with that, as I always need to think, make the right decisions and analyze all before taking action on around 180 different factors. That´s not the kind of screen time that creates this problem. The problem comes from too much screen time on youtube, facebook and other BS social media where content creators trying to fill people up with utter garbage.

So, in other words, I am quite safe, and can say that my word has given me a higher IQ than before. After that, you have to ask my wife about my emotional quote, she will have the best answer. I actually think she will give it a high score, which in return, seen to your post, will give me a high IQ as well. At last, I am not a poor guy in anyway. I have a great life and enough money to last me 3 life times. How about you, my man?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

and trolls who are always on the lookout for an opportunity to write something only they think is clever... right, Gottrid?

What was anything about trolling with the comment you just replied to? I know you are upset, but if you start talk about IQ, then you have to be strong enough to take the conversation.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and it´s the right way to go. This has been going too too far. You see people everywhere, always in their phones. Even stopping at red lights, they need to up with phone. We need to be careful so they are not in the phones driving. It´s soo silly, how the world has turned out.

I also agree with police fining drivers who are using their phones.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

for me thai society and thais in general has been stagnant iq wise for as long as i have been here

For a standard deviation of 15%, an IQ between 85 and 115 should be noted as normal. Depending on the psychological and physical condition of the patient, the results can also vary by up to 10 points.

The median IQ in Thailand is over 88. Just take a look at this list and lay it to rest. Countries by IQ - Average IQ by Country 2024 (worldpopulationreview.com)

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

great english...

was that YOU answer... :cheesy:

stay in your sandbox... i'm rich! ask my wife! my iq is getting higher!

wow

And now, you went to a spelling contest. Yeah, I missed an R at the end. Wow! You really show your intelligence here. Really, nothing more for me to add here. Have a good night, Sir!

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

for me thai society and thais in general has been stagnant iq wise for as long as i have been here... and that is before the advent of smart phones... now they blame tech... i think the problem runs deeper than that. hence my comment.

education maybe?

A not well written comment to start with, could have been better when using gadgets like spell checking.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

On a more serious note, what educational qualifications has the general got to qualify him to become the Education Minister?

None, at a guess

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess this puts a damper on any more schemes like a tablet for every child in school haha... 

I do not think just the act of using and having a digital device reduces a person IQ. it is the content they use the digital device for that does this. 

Digital devices, if used correctly, would increase a person's knowledge more than any book Thais read in school. 

i think every classroom should have sufficient computers or tablets for a students use but with controls that block gaming apps and websites and social media access. Only in those your IQ would get reduced. Thais are addicted to these things easily and when they are using them the world around them disappears. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

children-using-technology-619371154.jpg

The Education Ministry has voiced its intent to limit the use of digital gadgets in schools, sparked by worries over the negative effects on children's development. Education Minister, Pol Gen Permpoon Chidchob, mentioned research that suggests excessive use of smartphones and tablets can distract students and slow down their intellectual growth.

This same strategy has been adopted across the globe, with some nations prohibiting students under 16 from using digital gadgets during school time. In Thailand, it has been found through research that children who engage with screens for more than six and a half hours daily tend to display lower IQs and shorter concentration spans.

To tackle these problems, the Education Council Office has suggested an increase in outdoor activities, such as music classes and sports. They are also advocating for more reading and storytelling periods to increase children's ability to focus. Parents will be urged to spend more quality time with their kids to lessen their dependence on digital gadgets.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

On 8/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, Gottfrid said:

And now, you went to a spelling contest. Yeah, I missed an R at the end. Wow! You really show your intelligence here. Really, nothing more for me to add here. Have a good night, Sir!

Well TBF you're the one talking about how brilliant you"R" IQ is.  So, you look a bit ridiculous when you make a spelling mistake on such an simple word, That most 5 year olds could probably spell correctly.     

56 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Well TBF you're the one talking about how brilliant you"R" IQ is.  So, you look a bit ridiculous when you make a spelling mistake on such an simple word, That most 5 year olds could probably spell correctly.     

Ok, first I wrote spelling mistake. That was just to make it easy for you, but you directly went to make it complicated. In reality, I missed an R at the end of a word, which means, I missed the button on the keyboard or did not push it enough to register. I do not take this forum so seriously, that I have to check up on, and proofread all I post. Hopefully, that will satisfy you, and that discussion can be laid to rest.

Let´s go on to ridiculous. As you needed the above explanation to grasp the situation at hand, you will have to ask yourself on what side the ridiculous factor exist?

Last, but not least, where did I talk about how brilliant my IQ is? Can you please point that out. As I can can see, I am talking generally about IQ in my posts. If you can´t point it out, you might consider to refrain from posting such replies. It might make you look ridiculous.

Edited by Gottfrid

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2024 at 5:40 PM, Pouatchee said:

education maybe?

While these measures can help, it is also important for students to manage their workload effectively. For example, multitasking, you can get homework help from platforms like https://edubirdie.com/pay-for-homework where you can order essays and reduce stress. Balancing schoolwork with outdoor activities can be a win-win for student development.

I agree with you. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Minnierogers