How on earth do you Diet in Thailand ?

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Any of the green, leafy veggies you see in markets you can stir fry in a non stick pan with just a little oil, along with chicken with skin removed, lean beef or pork. Very easy to do and there's such a variety of veggies available you won't get bored so quick. You can find low sodium soy sauce also if sodium is a concern. It's the sweetened sauces that are the problem with food, including a traditional salad. Rice isn't a problem if you use a scoop, but the locals usually give you a plateful, as this is their staple and even though diabetes runs rampant here, going without rice would be sacrilege here. You can buy fish filet in most large supermarkets, and pan fry it like you do the veggies and other meat. Just a couple minutes a side. There are countless videos on youtube about stir frying and other recipes you can show your partner.

Thank you. 

Anybody knows how to say "fish filet" in Thai?

8 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Thank you. 

Anybody knows how to say "fish filet" in Thai?

Lotus, Makro, Big C, Tops, Villa and a few others all carry salmon, Tilapia, frozen fillets and others. For a restaurant, khunphil is right.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Correct.

But what practical advice follows from this?

It is perverted to eat when you are not hungry,  but it means you eat for other reasons.  Which reasons, and how to eliminate them? 

Depression is the major one. Like all other things a person suffering from depression does, it's a quick fix all people like, but it can add to trouble if you always reach for comfort with food.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Depression is the major one. Like all other things a person suffering from depression does, it's a quick fix all people like, but it can add to trouble if you always reach for comfort with food.

Better than alcohol or drugs

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IsaanExpat said:

Diets are for folks who want to show up at their graves with a pretty body....

I'll cook low and slow at my cremation thank ya kindly 

ok until you get diabetes legs. If you want to see some real life ones head to Big C Extra Pattaya

Screenshot_2024-09-05-14-55-24-677_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

I eat one meal a day unless engaged in strenuous activity, or a one day off per every 10 days.

Outside of the 4 hour eating time window, I'll avoid any drinks with sugar or milk, or anything which jumps my insulin levels (many sugar alternatives do this. Monk Fruit, made in Thailand, is a rare alternative which is probably ok, but I still don't take it).

Effectively, this limits me to coffee, teas of various sorts, ginger tea with cinnamon or nutmeg. 

It works. I have a BMI around 22.

If you do this, you'll not feel hungry as your body will rapidly adjust. You'll feel a lot more energetic, feel ill less often and want to exercise more. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Less calories daily in your mouth as opposed to calories burnt daily. Thats it

No, wrong.

Watch the first couple of minutes of the video @BigStarjust posted. 

Or watch the obesity lectures of Jason Fung (mutch more detailed), I think he posted the link, but easy enough to google them anyway 

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently inspected our kitchen - and I was horrified.

I thought gf is cooking reasonable food. How wrong I was!!!

Yeah, I noticed already how reluctant she is to buy fruit (I have never known a Thai who eats fruit), but never mind, I buy and eat it, no cooking required. 

The vast amounts of rice she serves with every meal end up in the toilet bowl (secretly, of course).

But what I found in the kitchen...pounds of sugar, salt and MSG - none of that cr@p I have ever bought in my life. This ends up on my dinner plate!

Has anybody ever had success teaching an adult Thai the most basic things about healthy nutrition? How??

I can't cook, and I guess if I tried it it would ruin the relationship.  

Like all Thais,  she drinks basically only water,  so that's good.

And she doesn't buy sweet things, so that's very good.

To lose weight healthily:

Each day....

Eat two 5-egg omelets

Eat one can of tuna

Eat one chicken breast

Eat rice with each meal

Drink Sichuan green tea

Repeat daily.

The above contains almost zero sugar.

Use vinegar, soy sauce, white pepper, chili pepper for any required additional flavoring.

Eat bread and tuna, as desired, for an extra snack.

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, scubascuba3 said:

ok until you get diabetes legs. If you want to see some real life ones head to Big C Extra Pattaya

Screenshot_2024-09-05-14-55-24-677_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Omg, is this a diabetic. 

I see every second foreigner walking down soi Buakhou with similar issue. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

To lose weight healthily:

Each day....

Eat two 5-egg omelets

Eat one can of tuna

Eat one chicken breast

Eat rice with each meal

Drink Sichuan green tea

Repeat daily.

The above contains almost zero sugar.

Use vinegar, soy sauce, white pepper, chili pepper for any required additional flavoring.

Eat bread and tuna, as desired, for an extra snack.

Rice, bread...same as sugar 

Canned tuna ...in Thailand,  probably contains a lot of sugar,  i will check

• Like 2

Well, as a start, I eat nothing cooked by a Thai, nothing.

I cook my own meals, no bad cheap oils heated to a point of toxicity, no refined sugar, no sauces coming from mini-mart Super Cheap.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Each day....

Eat one can of tuna

Eat bread and tuna, as desired, for an extra snack

Revealed: the reason behind @GammaGlobulin's off-topic, eccentric, and sometimes lying posts filled with irrelevancies.

Tuna is high in mercury compared to other fish. A single serving of some types of tuna may surpass the maximum amount of mercury that you can safely consume per week.

High levels of mercury exposure can lead to brain cell death and result in impaired fine motor skills, memory and focus (5Trusted Source).

In one study in 129 adults, those with the highest concentrations of mercury performed significantly worse on fine motor, logic and memory tests than those who had lower levels of mercury (6Trusted Source).

--Mercury in Tuna: Is This Fish Safe to Eat?

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, as a start, I eat nothing cooked by a Thai, nothing.

I cook my own meals, no bad cheap oils heated to a point of toxicity, no refined sugar, no sauces coming from mini-mart Super Cheap.

Oh.

Good post, but not what I wanted to hear. 

But do you live with a Thai female? Does she accept that you don't eat the cr@p she cooks?

Are you ever in the village? You don't let them, eg MIL, cook for you?

Edited by Lorry

13 hours ago, Lorry said:

Has anybody ever had success teaching an adult Thai the most basic things about healthy nutrition? How??

Yes, I successfully converted my Thai gf to go low carb after a couple of years. Her initial response was typical and adamant: Thais eat rice! She didn't want to talk about it and would get upset at the very idea.

Carb addiction is real, so she had to be weaned off carbs very gradually, eating just a little less rice at first. Fortunately, sugar wasn't a big issue; she understood about that.

Many people start following a healthier diet after they start an exercise program, and it helped in her case. She took to exercise more readily, as she'd participated in sports somewhat at uni. Her first reaction upon seeing the gym, however, was "MAN do that!" We've laughed about it over the years.

It was all quite difficult for her at first, but she finally achieved remarkable success. Nobody, including me, would have imagined it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

Revealed: the reason behind @GammaGlobulin's off-topic, eccentric, and sometimes lying posts filled with irrelevancies.

Tuna is high in mercury compared to other fish. A single serving of some types of tuna may surpass the maximum amount of mercury that you can safely consume per week.

High levels of mercury exposure can lead to brain cell death and result in impaired fine motor skills, memory and focus (5Trusted Source).

In one study in 129 adults, those with the highest concentrations of mercury performed significantly worse on fine motor, logic and memory tests than those who had lower levels of mercury (6Trusted Source).

--Mercury in Tuna: Is This Fish Safe to Eat?

Yes, but....

Actually, I NEVER lie.

Prevarication is completely anathema to me....in fact.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, but....

Actually, I NEVER lie.

Prevarication is completely anathema to me....in fact.

Yes, you do. You lied about receiving a computer case. You'd lied about collecting a bunch of parts for a build. Actually, the photo revealed you'd received the entire computer, pre-assembled by JIB from your ordered parts. Later you lied about not having a hard drive cage for the case, as you then claimed you just needed the sleds you mistakenly thought should have been included. Then recently you were pretending interest in buying a Pixel 9 XL you had no intention of buying, as I noted. Sure enough, you bought a far cheaper Samsung.

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yes, you do. You lied about receiving a computer case. You'd lied about collecting a bunch of parts for a build. Actually, the photo revealed you'd received the entire computer, pre-assembled by JIB from your ordered parts. Later you lied about not having a hard drive cage for the case, as you then claimed you just needed the sleds you mistakenly thought should have been included. Then recently you were pretending interest in buying a Pixel 9 XL you had no intention of buying, as I noted. Sure enough, you bought a far cheaper Samsung.

NO!

You, as I realize, are just trying to GOAD ME INTO sharing, here, more than I am willing to share.

Everybody KNOWS this....Sir....!

NOTE4:  Rest assured, Sir....that I will NOT be baited by you.....

Still....

I enjoy reading your comments....

Of Course......!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

On 8/22/2024 at 7:02 AM, gargamon said:

Cut out the rice and noodles and you'll do fine. Larb, ribs, even the curries without rice works well for me.

I've replaced rice with steamed pumpkin. Works for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One meal a day, at lunch, eat a decent but not overly large meal containing sensible food.

A piece of fruit for breakfast, peanuts and/or veggies if hungry in the evening, after a while your body gets used to it and it's easy. Weigh yourself daily, keep your weight in a tight range of +/- 0.5 kgs and act straight away on anything our of range, eg eat more/less/exercise.

On 8/22/2024 at 6:04 AM, DonniePeverley said:

.... as in trying to lose weight, not maintaining. 

Calories aren't a major weapon used here - unless you look to buy heavily processed ready  made meals. 

I was eating a single Pad Kaprao a day for a week, and some fruit on the evening. Didn't lose anything. 

Went behind the scenes to see how this Pad Kaprao was being made (under the guise of being a good customer). My goodness this isn't some healthy meal, little bit of chicken mixed into some spicy veg and some rice. Hell no. Instead the volume of oil used was enough to burn a building. She then proceeds to add 20 large spoons (i literally lie to you not) of sugar, followed by endless volume of a salt called MGM. So you think that's it ... no there were more. Once finished she began to put some butter into it, a proper massive lump !!!!!

The sheer volume of salt and MSG put into the rice was astonishing.

I came away thinking this isn't just some minor small meal. This is a one hell of a calorie laden meal. 

My question is to you all ... how on earth do you count calories here and lose weight ?

Street food is not healthy which is why so many thais have chronic diseases l

• Sad 1

On 8/22/2024 at 6:37 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Garnish with salt and pepper only. Cook it yourself with minimal olive oil. Absolutely no sugar or carbohydrates of any kind.

Eat as much as you want. You'll enter ketosis in 3-4 days and you'll be cinching up your belt within 7 days. All while never feeling hungry.:coffee1:

It still confuses me why Farangs still recommend olive oil here. It will usually be adulterated and expensive or unadulterated and VERY expensive. Coconut oil is a much better solution.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, aussie11950 said:

Carbs is the problem, not salt or animal oil or lack of fibre.
If you eat less calories, or skip a meal, your body will clamp down and use less energy and make you hungry, so you will always return to your original weight or more.

I lost 17 kilo (37 pounds) on keto in Thailand.

One meal a day. bacon, sausages, eggs, yoghurt and a little apple cider vinegar.

Eat in a 6 hour window, or less, and water fast 1 day a week, so your body's insulin can drop and use your stored fat.

Eat as much fat as you want, it wont make you fat. Its carbohydrate that's converted to sugar that's stored as fat.

Avoid any seed oils (vegetable oil) as the high omega 6 makes LDL sticky and the cause of heart attacks, use butter, coconut oil or olive oil.

Just eat the original food we used to eat 150 years ago, not processed food, margarine, vegetable oil or any snacks.

100% !!!

I eat a min of 3000  "calories"  a day ..   

Beef ( 500 -1000 grams),butter, bacon, eggs size 0 ( 6-8), fish,clams, lamb ..   no carbs!  no fiber!

the worst thing I put in my mouth is a cup of coffee with heavy whipping cream ..   'cause I like it !