Heavy Rains Cause Landslides in Phuket, 1 Dead

Georgealbert

IMG_4721.jpeg
Picture from responders

On the morning of 23 August a landslide occurred, burying some rental rooms, behind Wat Kittisangkaram, Soi Patak 2, Moo 2, Karon Subdistrict, Mueang District, Phuket.

The incident resulted in the death of one person, a Myanmar national woman, and left 4 others injured.

Authorities are currently working to assist residents and those injured by the landslide, and ensuring no-one else is still missing.

Local authorities, including the Phuket Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, have been working tirelessly to help those affected and assess the damage.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There’s also a big landslide from Big Buddha down to Kata, with a house demolished. The car park on Kata Beach, newly removated, has been destroyed too, along with lots of mature trees along the beachfront. Not sure how much is left of the beachfront road either.

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 10.05.31.jpeg

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Katatonica said:

There’s also a big landslide from Big Buddha down to Kata, with a house demolished. The car park on Kata Beach, newly removated, has been destroyed too, along with lots of mature trees along the beachfront. Not sure how much is left of the beachfront road either.

Thank you for that update.

I am seeing lots of reports of incidents this morning, across Phuket, from Thai sources. It is sometimes difficult to identify the locations with both the translation of names and the fact I do not know that part of Thailand.

So it is good to get input from posters who know the area.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thank you for that update.

I am seeing lots of reports of incidents this morning, across Phuket, from Thai sources. It is sometimes difficult to identify the locations with both the translation of names and the fact I do not know that part of Thailand.

So it is good to get input from posters who know the area.

Kata is adjacent to Karon and in Karon subdistrict so could be the same landslide, not sure, I’m not in the country now. My wife just told me there are 4 fatalities in Kata. Lots of sirens all morning.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Katatonica said:

Kata is adjacent to Karon and in Karon subdistrict so could be the same landslide, not sure, I’m not in the country now. My wife just told me there are 4 fatalities in Kata. Lots of sirens all morning.

Yes this seems to be the same incident.

IMG_4732.jpeg
Picture of responders.

Phuket authorities reported continuous heavy rainfall from the night of 22 August 2024 through the morning of 23 August 2024, with a recorded precipitation of 200 millimeters. The severe weather triggered a landslide in Soi Patak 2, Moo 2, Karon Subdistrict, Mueang Phuket District.

As of now, eight people have been reported missing. The search and recovery efforts are being conducted at four separate locations. The results so far are as follows:

Location 1: Two bodies recovered (1 female, 1 male).
Location 2: Two bodies recovered (both male), with one person still missing.
Location 3: One person still being searched for.
Location 4: Two individuals still being searched for.

A total of four bodies have been recovered so far, consisting of one male and three females. Search and rescue teams are continuing their efforts, with the weather in the area currently clear and no further rainfall.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

• Thanks 1

UPDATE

Landslide in Karon, Phuket Claims Multiple Lives

IMG_4735.jpeg
Drone image of the extent of the landslide.

13.00 The rescue co-ordinator issued an update on the current rescue response.

Early this morning, the devastating landslide that struck the Karon subdistrict of Phuket, has severely damaged many homes and has claimed several lives in the Kata area.

So far eight people have been confirmed dead. The victims include a Burmese and a Russian national. Rescue operations are ongoing as authorities are working to recover those still missing and assess the full extent of the damage.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-23

2 hours ago, Katatonica said:

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 10.05.31.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 09.33.09.jpeg

• Sad 1

Very heavy rain all night. We woke due to roof leak over bed about 04.30. Head ambulances about 07.00. Saw traffic backing up on Patak road. Thought a car accident past Kata School. By 08.00 still sirens. And I noticed the sea at Kata Beach had a red band of silt. I looked right from my balcony and could see the steep hill had slid down.

Lucky I did not park our car there as too much rain for our usual  morning Kata front walk.  

• Thanks 1

Death toll in Phuket landslide rises to 9, including 2 Russians

456605210_840323521551825_3873256910642818625_n.jpg

The death toll from the flash flood and landslide in Phuket rose to nine, with two of the deceased being Russian nationals. Ten people were injured while dozens remain missing.

The heavy rain from 1am today, August 23, led to a flash flood and landslide in the community near Kitti Sangkatam Temple in the Mueang district of Phuket. The residential area located near the mountain was affected.

According to a report in the Phuket Times this morning, one resident was killed in the incident, while four others were injured. However, many residents in the area remain missing, prompting relevant government officials and rescuers to search for them.

According to the latest update on Amarin TV this afternoon, the death toll has risen to nine, and the number of injuries has now reached ten. The first body was found in Soi Patak 2, while the other seven bodies were found in Soi Patak 8. One of the deceased is a Thai national, six are Burmese, and two are Russian.

However, the search operation has not yet been called off, as some residents remain missing in the flood and damaged accommodation.

Three sub-districts in the area have been declared disaster areas/emergency disaster relief zones, including Karon, Rawai, and Chalong sub-districts.

A 34 year old Thai woman, Sukhon Nakmart, who survived the incident, revealed to ThaiRath that the landslide took place while she was sleeping. She heard a noise like some parts of her home breaking, and the ceiling and roof suddenly collapsed.

Sukhon said she decided to run out of her home and climb onto the roof of another building nearby. She suffered only mild injuries near her eyebrow, as well as to her arms and legs.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo by Andaman top news via Phuket Times

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-23

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE: Phuket Landslide Death Toll Raised to 10
By Goongnang Suksawat

5-768x479.jpg

Ten people have been found dead including two Russian nationals while one person is believed to be still missing after a landslide in Karon on Friday early in the morning (August 23rd).

The Phuket City District Chief Mr. Worasit Putjeep told the Phuket Express that at 4:30 P.M. rescue workers found one more body who was identified only as a female Thai, with further information withheld pending contacting her relatives.

The death toll has subsequently been raised from 9 to 10. One person is believed to be still missing. However, the search has been paused at 8:00 P.M. due to the lack of light and will be continued again in the daytime Saturday (August 24th).

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-08-24

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Katatonica said:

It is the same landslide.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Very heavy rain all night. We woke due to roof leak over bed about 04.30. Head ambulances about 07.00. Saw traffic backing up on Patak road. Thought a car accident past Kata School. By 08.00 still sirens. And I noticed the sea at Kata Beach had a red band of silt. I looked right from my balcony and could see the steep hill had slid down.

Lucky I did not park our car there as too much rain for our usual  morning Kata front walk.  

Many cars in my shopstreet went away with the tow truck.
I called the girl in my shop around 5 to check, she said all ok. 30 minutes later there was a 1 meter flood, story collaborated by the lady from the gym.  Unfortunately I was forced to check the height of the flood myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

I am not surprised, saw this coming years ago.
You cannot cut down unlimited trees on mountains and hills, then this is the logical consequence, but yes Logical and Thai....

Pretty sure the side of that hill is natural woodland all the way to the top. Something built at the top may have affected drainage, like a car park, can’t see anything in the pictures.

Edited by Katatonica
Alteration.
  • Agree 1

Search Operation for Missing Persons in Phuket Landslide Continues.

This morning, August 24, rescue teams from the Kusoltham Phuket Foundation commenced search operations in Karon Subdistrict, Mueang District, Phuket, following a devastating flood and landslide.

The disaster has claimed the lives of at least 10 people and injured 19 others. Authorities now believe that three individuals are still missing and are working urgently to locate them. Rescue efforts are ongoing as the teams continue to search the affected area.

IMG_4773.jpeg

I guess there is no answer to human greed is there? Anywhere with a nice view will have the trees chopped down and a house put up there (often illegally) causing landslides when the weather turns ugly. 

I never cared for Phuket and glad I don't live there. I went once and that was enough for me. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

UPDATE

Death Toll Rises to 13 in Karon, Phuket Landslide Incident

Authorities have recovered three more bodies, bringing the total death toll from the incident to 13.

All 13 reported missing have now been found, consisting of:

1. Two Russian nationals (1 male, 1 female)
2. Two Thai nationals (1 female from Sakon Nakhon, 1 female from Surat Thani)
3. Nine Myanmar nationals (4 males, 5 females)

With the recovery of all the bodies, the search operation has been officially concluded.

Authorities are now focusing on confirming the identities of the victims and finalising the details of the incident.

IMG_4777.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai's are blaming Toxin family, We had the Tsunami we he was PM, we had the worst flooding in 40 years when Yingluck was in charge, now we have another one in charge, flooding again, 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Katatonica said:

Pretty sure the side of that hill is natural woodland all the way to the top. Something built at the top may have affected drainage, like a car park, can’t see anything in the pictures.

Called Big Buddha. Huge development

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

An expert in geotechnical engineering and foundations from Kasetsart University has raised concerns regarding the recent landslide in Phuket. The expert speculates that a large presence of granite rock may have contributed to the disaster. This landslide in Phuket is one of the most frequent types of landslides in Thailand, according to recent studies. The possibility that large-scale construction on the mountain's summit may have disrupted the natural water flow, causing erosion and creating several channels in the soil, has not been ruled out.

It sounds like the same problem they have in California. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/psw/publications/4351/Durgin77.pdf

12 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

An expert in geotechnical engineering and foundations from Kasetsart University has raised concerns regarding the recent landslide in Phuket. The expert speculates that a large presence of granite rock may have contributed to the disaster. This landslide in Phuket is one of the most frequent types of landslides in Thailand, according to recent studies. The possibility that large-scale construction on the mountain's summit may have disrupted the natural water flow, causing erosion and creating several channels in the soil, has not been ruled out.

On August 24, Associate Professor Sutthisak Sorlump, a geotechnical and foundation expert at Kasetsart University, suggested that the landslide in Phuket may have been caused by changes in mountain water channels or excessive construction activity near the base of the hill. He explained that Phuket's geology is characterized by significant amounts of granite, which is commonly associated with landslides in Thailand, as seen in areas such as Phanom Bencha Mountain in Krabi and Nopphitam Mountain in Nakhon Si Thammarat. These areas have experienced large masses of rock and soil falling, leading to high levels of destruction.

Additionally, the expert noted that many areas in Phuket have seen extensive hillside construction, such as luxury homes and hotels. Phuket has environmental laws that restrict construction above 40 metres from mean sea level, and construction above 80 metres is prohibited altogether, in order to preserve the mountain's natural environment. The expert emphasized the importance of reconsidering these regulations, as even construction below 40 metres could be contributing to hillside instability. Detailed investigations are needed to confirm if the landslide was caused by disruptions at the base of the hill.

Furthermore, the possibility of construction on the mountain summit contributing to the disaster has not been ruled out. The expert pointed out the presence of a large Buddha statue and road infrastructure on the hill, similar to areas like Patong or other highland locations. In such areas, water flowing down from the summit may cause erosion along the roads, eventually leading to landslides. This pattern has been seen before in places like Patong and Boklua in Nan Province, where landslides have occurred due to altered water drainage patterns.

The expert highlighted that the situation must be carefully examined to determine whether the landslide was triggered by water flow from the summit or due to changes at the base of the hill. When asked if residents in the affected area should relocate, the expert referenced the situation in Boklua, where the entire village had to be relocated after a landslide. He stressed that, according to safety guidelines for construction, buildings should not be located near the base of hills. Countries like Hong Kong have clear regulations on where construction is allowed to reduce the risk of landslides. Similarly, Japan has strict laws regarding construction in slope-prone areas, with designated agencies responsible for ensuring safety. However, Thailand currently lacks such comprehensive safety regulations for hillside construction.

It's all about money in Phuket,