Kamala Harris’s Convention Speech

Social Media

image.png

Kamala Harris took the stage on Thursday night to formally accept the Democratic presidential nomination, marking a historic moment as the first woman of color to achieve such a milestone. Her speech, while hitting all the critical notes her campaign aimed to cover, was largely marked by its lack of groundbreaking rhetoric and its adherence to established themes. For approximately 45 minutes, Harris shared her personal background, her vision for the future, and her stance on key issues, offering a glimpse into what her leadership would look like if she were to win the White House.

One of the primary objectives of Harris’s speech was to connect with voters by highlighting her middle-class roots. While many Americans are familiar with who she is, fewer know the details of her upbringing and the values that shaped her.

Harris took the opportunity to recount her mother’s journey as an immigrant from India and shared how her parents met and eventually divorced. She emphasized her childhood in a working-class neighborhood in Oakland, California, painting a picture of a modest but fulfilling upbringing. “The middle class is where I come from,” Harris stated, reflecting on the discipline and frugality instilled by her mother. “My mother kept a strict budget. We lived within our means. Yet, we wanted for little. And she expected us to make the most of the opportunities that were available to us.” Harris also touched on her decision to pursue a career in law, framing it as a natural progression from her early days in the courtroom to her role as a public servant. “My entire career, I have only had one client,” she said. “The people.”

While Harris outlined her personal story, she also attempted to present a vision for America’s future. She called for unity and a move beyond the “bitterness, cynicism and divisive battles” that have come to define modern American politics.

However, the speech provided few concrete details about how this vision would be realized. Vague calls for unity and a new path forward are common in political speeches, but Harris’s remarks did little to differentiate her policy proposals from those of past candidates. When she did address specific issues, she did so in broad terms, mentioning a focus on lowering the costs of “everyday needs” such as healthcare, housing, and groceries. She also highlighted the importance of abortion rights, framing the issue as essential to preserving individual freedom—a theme that has been recurrent throughout the Democratic convention.

Despite these mentions, Harris positioned herself as a center-left moderate, aligning closely with the policies of her predecessor and current boss, Joe Biden. “Everywhere I go, in everyone I meet, I see a nation ready to move forward,” she said. “Ready for the next step, in the incredible journey that is America.” Yet, the specifics of that next step remain undefined.

In addressing foreign policy, Harris devoted particular attention to the ongoing Gaza war, a topic that has drawn significant controversy. Pro-Palestinian protesters outside the convention underscored the contentious nature of this issue. In her speech, Harris reiterated the Biden administration’s stance, pledging to work around the clock to secure a hostage deal and ceasefire. “President Biden and I are working around the clock,” she said, “because now is the time to get a hostage deal and ceasefire done.”

Harris also reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring that Israel has the means to defend itself, while acknowledging the suffering of Palestinians. “The scale of their suffering is heartbreaking,” she noted, though her comments were unlikely to appease the protesters outside. For them, Harris’s speech may have reinforced the belief that her presidency would represent a continuation of Biden’s policies on the Gaza conflict.

Finally, Harris did not shy away from addressing the threat posed by her Republican opponent, Donald Trump. Echoing the sentiments of former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama, who had criticized Trump earlier in the week, Harris described Trump as an “unserious man” whose return to the White House would have “extremely serious” consequences. She referenced the January 6th attack on the US Capitol by Trump supporters and mentioned his criminal convictions. Harris also took aim at the Heritage Foundation’s Project 2025 blueprint, a plan for a future Republican presidency that Trump has disavowed but which was drafted by his advisers.

According to Harris, the plan seeks to “pull our country back into the past,” a contrast that she used to draw a clear line between the future she envisions and the one Trump represents. This theme of the future versus the past has been central to Harris’s campaign, allowing her to distinguish herself not only from Trump but also from the less popular aspects of Biden’s presidency.

In conclusion, Kamala Harris’s convention speech was a blend of personal storytelling and political messaging. While it succeeded in presenting her as a relatable figure with a compelling personal history, it fell short in offering detailed policy proposals or bold new ideas. Harris’s rhetoric was largely in line with the broader Democratic agenda, leaving little room for surprise or innovation. As the campaign progresses, it remains to be seen whether this approach will resonate with voters or if they will seek more substantive answers to the challenges facing the nation.

Credit: BBC  2024-08-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Of course no solutions, just storytelling and political rhetoric is all that they have to sell. It’s quite fascinating there are actually buyers of this hogwash.

I gave up on speeches 40 years ago. We can all read off teleprompters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

True. A month ago, most conservatives I know were worried about who would replace Biden. The nightmare scenario was a charismatic moderate like Governor Shapiro or Wes Moore. 

We all breathed a sigh of relief that Kamala got the job. Once her honeymoon ends, she will go back to being a mediocrity.

I was actually shocked the Democrats picked Kamala Harris. At the time she had  poll ratings of 39 per cent. She wasn't actually a dream candidate, I thought the Democrats had half a dozen better candidates. It was indeed a relief a mediocrity like Kamala Harris got the nomination (well coup annoitment really). 

However, the Democrat media machine did well to build her up into almost a real personality. Impressive stuff. Pink's peformance at the DNC less so, a bit cringe to be honest.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

People need hope, thats what she brings to the table, contrary to what her opponent brings

Her speech:

Hi. I check all these boxes. Im going to fix all the problems I caused by doin g more of the same. I hope you are stupid enough to vote for me.

Hope, ha

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

True. A month ago, most conservatives I know were worried about who would replace Biden. The nightmare scenario was a charismatic moderate like Governor Shapiro or Wes Moore. 

We all breathed a sigh of relief that Kamala got the job. Once her honeymoon ends, she will go back to being a mediocrity.

It could never be Shapiro, hes Jewish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Go back and smoke some more. The world view is not owned by Maga. The problem in Usa, is the the majority of the  Congress is in republicans hands, so what to expect when you try to do a decent job for your country, and continously sabotaged by the opponents 

You arent American and therefore, who cares what you think.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

You arent American and therefore, who cares what you think.

Americans do their best to ruin their own country, that's what you guys are best at when your elected congress sabotage just because they do not want their opponents succeed with their politics for everyone's best