Financial Requirements to show Immigration for 60 Day visa

I have a friend coming to Thailand at end of September for a short holiday,  Reading the various blogs on the net they all seem to say 20k THB but cash not necessary but can show bank statement as proof of financial support.  They have already booked a Hotel for their stay,

From experience is Bank Statement okay?

5 hours ago, Southsealad said:

I have a friend coming to Thailand at end of September for a short holiday,  Reading the various blogs on the net they all seem to say 20k THB but cash not necessary but can show bank statement as proof of financial support.  They have already booked a Hotel for their stay,

From experience is Bank Statement okay?

A bank-statement has NEVER been accepted in lieu of the cash.  

Further context - this was always just a ruse to deny entry to frequent visitors not paying their agents for "easy entry."  When travelers started carrying the cash, the IOs generally stopped asking for this - just put a rejection-stamp in passports saying "didn't have the money," even though it was a lie. 

I would have the 20K worth of Cash, regardless - plus proof of accommodation and a flight out within 60-days.

Edited by Rob Browder

3 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Further context - this was always just a ruse to deny entry to frequent visitors not paying their agents for "easy entry." 

And this was never an actual thing, you could pay for fast track sure, but you could never pay an agent to secure a normal line visa exempt entry. Take your bar stool myths back to the bar.

• Haha 1

"Financial Requirements to show Immigration for 60 Day visa" thread title is confusing?

There is no longer a financial evidence requirement for a 60 day tourist visa (removed just after 60 day visa exempt was implemented 15 July), while visa exempt is 20,000 baht (or equivalent) but never really checked by immigration. I've carried less than 2000 baht cash for taxi for 16 years now and never worried about it (I'm sure my bank app balance would suffice if escalated to Immigration supervisor)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

There is no longer a financial evidence requirement for a 60 day tourist visa

Every time I do a TR60 there are less requirements - five years ago it was a PITA but now it is a breeze.

My latest one (this week) they do now incorporate your submitted photo onto the visa.

26 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

My latest one (this week) they do now incorporate your submitted photo onto the visa.

Why would you obtain a SETV when a visa exempt entry also provides 60 day stamp. 

The OP has confused Title.

Seems he is asking about visa exempt entry however using the word Visa which is not uncommon.

Has not contributed to thread since OP.

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why would you obtain a SETV when a visa exempt entry also provides 60 day stamp. 

The OP has confused Title.

Seems he is asking about visa exempt entry however using the word Visa which is not uncommon.

Has not contributed to thread since OP.

Yes, I am fully aware that I can go for visa exemption on arrival, and then the 30-day extension either way, but I'm more comfortable doing it this way - I know, there's a word for that!

Actually, I was expecting them to come back with "We are not currently issuing this visa" like they did when I applied for an METV a few years ago - gave me a TR60 but still kept the full fee that I'd paid.

• Confused 2

Whilst I have never been asked to show hard cash at immigration under this new 60 day visa exempt entry ( which will be royally abused over the coming months) I wouldnt be remotely surprised to see more requests at immigration desks to see the cash

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Whilst I have never been asked to show hard cash at immigration under this new 60 day visa exempt entry ( which will be royally abused over the coming months) I wouldnt be remotely surprised to see more requests at immigration desks to see the cash

From the OP ...

"I have a friend coming to Thailand at end of September for a short holiday,"

While title heading confusing the friends of OP will not require funds for visa exempt entry.n

Posted (edited)

I apologise but I am not clear about the process of obtaining a 60 day tourist visa at Suvarnabhumi Airport,  Do you have to go to a special desk before the actual Immigration booths or do you just present you Passport to the normal Immigration booths.   At 87 this all beyond me and I don't want to give my friends who are coming to see me, false and wrong information.  Also is there a cost please,

Thank you

Edited by Southsealad
Incomplete question

Immigration never asked for cash. But on the fast track lane I did fall on a grouch who perhaps was upset that I disturbed his nap and he tried to make a fuss and ask me for my boarding pass. When it was showed, he grumpily stamped me in. A real çç%%hole. The fast track at Suvarnabhumi seems to have some changes going on. For those who pay online for the track, they no longer pick you up at the gate. One needs to walk for a while to a remote area where there is a large empty hall and one immigration counter.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Southsealad said:

I apologise but I am not clear about the process of obtaining a 60 day tourist visa at Suvarnabhumi Airport,  Do you have to go to a special desk before the actual Immigration booths or do you just present you Passport to the normal Immigration booths.   At 87 this all beyond me and I don't want to give my friends who are coming to see me, false and wrong information.  Also is there a cost please,

Thank you

There is no 60 day tourist visa available at Suvarnabhumi airport. What is available (as long as the person is from one of the countries that are eligible for it) is a 60 day visa exempt entry. 

There is no cost for this, no need to go to a special desk, and you do indeed just present your passport at the normal immigration booths.

The list of the countries that can get the 60 day visa exempt entry is on the link below. 

Tourism Thailand announces 60-day visa exemption for 90 countries

6 hours ago, Southsealad said:

Do you have to go to a special desk before the actual Immigration booths or do you just present you Passport to the normal Immigration booths. 

You are confused.

Good advice given above this post.

You mention "short holiday" 

For flying visa exempt to Thailand the airline at departure may wish to see return flight.

Guessing your friends have a return flight (or onward flight) within 60 days.

15 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

A bank-statement has NEVER been accepted in lieu of the cash.  

Further context - this was always just a ruse to deny entry to frequent visitors not paying their agents for "easy entry."  When travelers started carrying the cash, the IOs generally stopped asking for this - just put a rejection-stamp in passports saying "didn't have the money," even though it was a lie. 

I would have the 20K worth of Cash, regardless - plus proof of accommodation and a flight out within 60-days.

I have never been asked to show proof of funds at BKK.

• Confused 1

Thank you all for your comments.  I am now clear.  My friends do indeed have return tickets and hotel confirmation.  I can now tell them to proceed to normal Immigration booths, present passport and they will be stamped for 60 days in Thailand.

Many thanks again

• Thumbs Up 2