King cobra makes a hiss-terious house call in Chon Buri

webfact

resize_snake.webp

A homeowner in Chon Buri had a terrifying encounter when a 4-metre king cobra slithered into their house. The snake, which raised its head as if to greet the homeowner, coiled itself under a table, prompting a call for assistance from local authorities.

At 5am yesterday, August 25, the Tri Khunatham Foundation’s rescue team received an urgent call from residents of house number 32, Moo 5, in Nong Ri, Mueang district, Chon Buri. The team rushed to the scene equipped with snake-handling tools.

Upon arrival, the rescue team found the massive king cobra under a table. It took them over 20 minutes to carefully capture the aggressive snake. After securing the cobra in a sack, the situation seemed under control. However, the sack had a tear, allowing the snake to escape, leading to a second round of frantic efforts to capture it again.

A volunteer from the Tri Khunatham Foundation, Naphon Ngamsamoe, explained the risks associated with such venomous snakes.

“A king cobra’s venom is deadly. If bitten and not treated immediately, it could be fatal. People without proper snake-handling knowledge should always call experts.”

He further mentioned that the snake would be released back into its natural habitat.

Naphon also highlighted the importance of being cautious, especially during the rainy season.

” Venomous snakes tend to seek dry places. With the current storm season causing rain in many areas, I urge residents to be extra careful, particularly around items stored outside their homes.”

Additionally, Naphon noted that snakes often enter homes in search of food like rats and find hiding places among piles of materials or objects, reported Khaosod.

In related news, in Suphan Buri, a couple discovered a 3.2-meter king cobra under their house, prompting a rescue call. The snake was safely captured and released. The couple, believing the encounter might bring them luck, plans to use their house number, 613, for lottery tickets.

by Sarishti Arora 
Picture courtesy of Devdiscourse official website

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-26

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

57 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

People without proper snake-handling knowledge should always call experts.”

We live in a very rural area and used to get at least one spitting cobra a week inside the compound, never thankfully a king though, we even had them get in in the swimming pool and cats living area.

I reckon now though we have become experts in catching them and easily locate them back into the wild as we now have all the nets, snake sticks and snake grabbers.

We blocked all their entry points (under the gates and drains) the only ones getting in now are the Golden Tree snakes which occasionally climb up and over the the three meter walls

Brick walls and block walls are easy for snakes to climb as they usually have a rough surface...Mr Cobra no problem as well  :-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

We blocked all their entry points (under the gates and drains) the only ones getting in now are the Golden Tree snakes which occasionally climb up and over the the three meter walls

Had a shock the other day, got on my bike to pedal down the road to the local shop and got about 3 yards when I noticed a Green snake curled up in the front shopping basket... about a metre in length and about 25mm diameter

I made the fastest dismount in history... dunno what it was but I wasn't going to find out the hard way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However, the sack had a tear, allowing the snake to escape, leading to a second round of frantic efforts to capture it again.

I think that the experts should check their equipment more regularly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the sack had a tear, allowing the snake to escape, leading to a second round of frantic efforts to capture it again.

“People without proper snake-handling knowledge should always call experts.

😂😂😂😂

5 hours ago, Rimmer said:

We live in a very rural area and used to get at least one spitting cobra a week inside the compound, never thankfully a king though, we even had them get in in the swimming pool and cats living area.

I reckon now though we have become experts in catching them and easily locate them back into the wild as we now have all the nets, snake sticks and snake grabbers.

I'd take dealing with a king cobra over a spitting cobra any time of the day. Spitters are nasty and while inhaling the venom they spray can't harm you, it can lead to an allergy over time, but this usually only applies to people who keep them as pets. 

A volunteer from the Tri Khunatham Foundation, Naphon Ngamsamoe, explained the risks associated with such venomous snakes

did he explain the risk of putting snakes in a bag with a hole in them!

😁😬😂🐒🚀

I have got rid of a couple of rat snakes in the last 2 weeks... caught and relocated easily using a snake grabber. ( I suggest having a plastic lidded bucket to put them in).  One, I caught after returning from dinner and a few beers which was likely dumb. Extra cautious until I get a good look at them and realize not a cobra. Doubt I have the skills or confidence to catch one of those, and would probably call the Sawang Boriboon. A single bite and you would be in a world of trouble. 

On 8/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, webfact said:

the sack had a tear, allowing the snake to escape, leading to a second round of frantic efforts to capture it again.

TiT☻🤣
you couldn't make this up if you tried

17 hours ago, wombat said:

TiT☻🤣
you couldn't make this up if you tried

I have had guys round to my house and neighbours place  to remove undesirable critters..... they surprisingly never seem to have anything to put them in!