question about Diabetes gizmo that checks glucose level

wombat

long story short...i want to buy my partner one of the machines she can carry with her to prick her finger and get a blood glucose reading

what are they called and where do i get one?

Any pharmacy has them. You buy the test kit and the testing strips.....the kit comes with a finger pricker usually. My brand is an Accu-Check made by Swiss company Roche. I can't remember what the kit cost, but it is not a lot. The test strips are about 500baht for 25....and it is the razor blade trick....cheap shaver, expensive blades.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

Any pharmacy has them. You buy the test kit and the testing strips.....the kit comes with a finger pricker usually. My brand is an Accu-Check made by Swiss company Roche. I can't remember what the kit cost, but it is not a lot. The test strips are about 500baht for 25....and it is the razor blade trick....cheap shaver, expensive blades.

thankyou

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, wombat said:

thankyou

PS you have to understand what you are reading as well.

Units are different here, which follows the US standard rather than the metric British system. The meters here present the results as mg/dL. Testing fasting in the morning the result should be less that 100 mg/dL in non diabetics. After a meal the reading should rise to less than 180 mg/dL as the glucose gets into the blood and after 2 hours or so, should return to normal in non-diabetics. Your doctor can advise targets in diabetic patients. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

AccuChek brand is recommended and has good support from the company if any problems with the machine.

A good pharmacy will not only sell one but teach her to use it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, retarius said:

PS you have to understand what you are reading as well.

Units are different here, which follows the US standard rather than the metric British system. The meters here present the results as mg/dL. Testing fasting in the morning the result should be less that 100 mg/dL in non diabetics. After a meal the reading should rise to less than 180 mg/dL as the glucose gets into the blood and after 2 hours or so, should return to normal in non-diabetics. Your doctor can advise targets in diabetic patients. 

There is an online conversion here 

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

It will convert mg/dL to mmol/L and vice versa.

I have an Accu Chek Active test meter and I have used it since May 2023.

The first week I tested every day to get the feel of it and to give me a base average, and now I do it every Monday morning before I eat and drink.

I made a small spreadsheet in XLSX if anybody wants a copy.

• Thanks 1

My eldest son, Type 1 diabetes since he was 4 years old, has a patch on his arm and this connects to his phone to monitor his levels.

No more finger pricking to check his levels, although he does inject if the levels are dangerously out of kilter.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, john donson said:

why not one of those constant glucose monitors, than at least you can check what spike YOU, or her... and avoid...

These can be difficult to find in Thailand and are very costly.

Worth it for people on insulin or with very otherrise  "brittle" (unstable) diabetes but for most people with Type 2, regularfingerostick device to check fasting BS once a week or so is fine. 

• Thanks 1

I have an Accu-Check blood glucose monitoring device and it works great.

I have a question though, about these blood glucose checking watches or wrist bands and such. I have read that they are not good, do not work etc. Does anyone have any corroborating message or, better yet, know if one of these gadgets really works and what brand?