New or Current Passport for Extension of Stay

My current extension of stay for my one-year Non-O visa (retirement) expires on March 08, 2025, and my US passport expires on January 26, 2026.

If I do not renew my passport before the upcoming extension of stay, I may get an extension to the expiry date of the passport (extension of stay for about ten months, 18 days in duration) with a new renewal date. I would then need to apply for a new passport at least two months before the (10 months, 18 days) when the extension of stay expires.

I have read and been told by friends that when applying for an extension of stay, I will get an extension to the expiry date of the passport and a new renewal date. Still, I have also been informed that one must have at least one full year of validity remaining on a passport before Thai Immigration will process the extension of stay.

Should I forfeit the remaining time on my passport and renew it two months before the Extension of Stay expires on March 08, 2025?  

8 minutes ago, TJM55 said:

Should I forfeit the remaining time on my passport and renew it two months before the Extension of Stay expires on March 08, 2025?  

Why so needing to squeeze as much as possible out of a pp.

Guessing USA pp valid for 10 years.

Obtain a new one well before expiry.

Yes if not your next extension will have expiry date same as expiry of current pp. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316179-american-passport-renewal-process/

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why so needing to squeeze as much as possible out of a pp.

Guessing USA pp valid for 10 years.

Obtain a new one well before expiry.

Yes if not your extension will have expiry date same as expiry of current pp. 

Right, ten-year validity for a passport. I'll get a new passport. Thanks.

1 minute ago, TJM55 said:

Right, ten-year validity for a passport. I'll get a new passport.

Think it's best idea.

Pick a time when you are pretty sure that you won't need to exit Thailand for travel..

Earlier post has thread that outlines process for pp renewal.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think it's best idea.

Pick a time when you are pretty sure that you won't need to exit Thailand for travel..

Earlier post has thread that outlines process for pp renewal.

Good advice about traveling and I will read the post about pp renewal.

I specifically asked about this an Imm CW information desk last week as my pp is going to expire. They said for an annual extension I would need 6 months extra validity on the pp beyond the extension. Nothing in writing so maybe lost in translation? Anyway I am going to get the 6 months extra window when getting a new pp.