A New Era in UK-Germany Relations: Starmer and Scholz Pledge Ambitious Treaty

Social Media

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You're taking one measure.  There have been and still are economic challenges, trade disruptions, and political divisions, particularly in regard to the UK as a whole (Scotland/Wales/NI) and the regulatory divergence from the EU has also led to complications, particularly in industries that rely on seamless EU-UK integration.  

A whole generation now has less freedom of movement which, in my opinion, is a crime against youth.  However, it does seem that the government are making some, slow, progress in restoring some freedom of movement for the under-30s.

Project Fear is so 2010's. It's clearly been debunked, let it go. 

The UK has made a lot of "catastrophic errors" in the last 30 years, but leaving the EU was clearly not one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Project Fear is so 2010's. It's clearly been debunked, let it go. 

The UK has made a lot of "catastrophic errors" in the last 30 years, but leaving the EU was clearly not one of them. 

Debunked by who?  Farage 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve been at the Chamberlin again.

There’s enough money, it just needs collecting from ‘those with the broadest shoulders’:

Keep an eye out on the budget:

Non Dom tax avoidance.

Corporate/Private offshoring tax avoidance.

Capital Gains tax.

Inheritance tax.

To date those with the broadest shoulders appear to be British pensioners.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But the pensioners are British. Mainly white. Possibly even working class and god forbid, Conservative. 

Meaning Starmer and Labour as a whole doesn't give a monkeys about them. 

Many of the older richer pensioners would be ethnic Indian and Chinese and they would be the ones missing out on the heating allowances 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A rather silly comment given the catastrophic impact of Covid.

But for a more sensible comparison let's compare the UK to the EU's largest economy over the same period. Apples to Apples. 

Like I said, Project Fear well and truly debunked. Quite embarrassing for Remainers I'd imagine. 

https://facts4e

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A rather silly comment given the catastrophic impact of Covid.

But for a more sensible comparison let's compare the UK to the EU's largest economy over the same period. Apples to Apples. 

Like I said, Project Fear well and truly debunked. Quite embarrassing for Remainers I'd imagine. 

https://facts4eu.org/news/2023_may_uk_growth_beats_no1_eu_state.

image.png.d6c5ad9bf961a35a7ef05a5c6928f1df.png

u.org/news/2023_may_uk_growth_beats_no1_eu_state.

image.png.d6c5ad9bf961a35a7ef05a5c6928f1df.png

You just confirmed how good the economy was when UK was part of the EU before the referendum. 😅

The other graph (from the same source) you did not upload, shows that UK barely did better than the sick man of Europe after the referendum: 5.9% against 5,4%. Most of the growth difference in your graph was achieved before the Brexit referendum.

gdp_growth_20230516_2.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Time is not on the EU's side when it comes to luring the UK back into it's web. 

As the frankly ridiculous Project Fear continues to be debunked and the EU economy stagnates, handing over billions every year to rejoin a failing club will appear less attractive with each passing year, especially with the UK outperforming the EuroZone (image below from the link in my post above this one). 

I'm not surprised the Germans are so desperate to have us back. 

image.png.6dbd19ac4b66cb8fe2e06fe25c724ead.png

Good news for UK! However, it doesn't make sense to make an assessment based only on one quarter.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

P.S I see your graph also confirms the excellent performance of the Biden economy

99423253-5d1d-4896-b98f-845db8c735bd.png

8 minutes ago, candide said:

Good news for UK! However, it doesn't make sense to make an assessment based only on one quarter.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

P.S I see your graph also confirms the excellent performance of the Biden economy

99423253-5d1d-4896-b98f-845db8c735bd.png

Still outperforming the EU's largest economy by some distance, even when using your very selective dates. 

But yes, this just goes to show that the longer we are outside the EU, the better the figures look. When you include the first couple of years after Brexit (which Brexiteers always acknowledged were going to be difficult) we look pretty average, although still way better than Germany. But when you look at more recent data (specifically 2024) we are surging ahead of not only Germany but the Eurozone as a whole, as my previous link shows. 

The more time outside the corrupt federalist club, the better we are doing. From strength to strength. Obviously a Labour government could mess things up as they normally do, but that is not the result of Brexit. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

A requirement for being a member of the E.U was to have open borders with all the other E.U Countries 

I'm still shocked that 51.89% of Brits voted to restrict their freedom of movement.

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Worked hard to buy a house, worked hard to leave some money for my family.

Are you really that dim?

Chomps thinks everyone who has money was gifted it.

Doesn't seem to realize some people bust their balls for it and don't appreciate then giving it away to people who spend their life on the sofa/posting on internet forums. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Worked hard to buy a house, worked hard to leave some money for my family.

Are you really that dim?

Not so dim as to have failed to understand the question.

Which part of inheritance did the recipient work for?

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm still shocked that 51.89% of Brits voted to restrict their freedom of movement.

Most Brits want to live in Britain, and not be part of a united Europe under German rule.

No problems with EU holidays in the PIGS.

Edited by BritManToo

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Chomps thinks everyone who has money was gifted it.

Doesn't seem to realize some people bust their balls for it and don't appreciate then giving it away to people who spend their life on the sofa/posting on internet forums. 

There you go again Jonny, inventing beliefs on my behalf and then arguing with the beliefs you yourself invented.

AKA arguing with yourself. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go again Jonny, inventing beliefs on my behalf and then arguing with the beliefs you yourself invented.

AKA arguing with yourself. 

Your words Chomps, not mine.

In case you've forgotten again, allow me to remind you below...

image.png.4557e97963fb852c539ce552a35ee9db.png

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Still outperforming the EU's largest economy by some distance, even when using your very selective dates. 

But yes, this just goes to show that the longer we are outside the EU, the better the figures look. When you include the first couple of years after Brexit (which Brexiteers always acknowledged were going to be difficult) we look pretty average, although still way better than Germany. But when you look at more recent data (specifically 2024) we are surging ahead of not only Germany but the Eurozone as a whole, as my previous link shows. 

The more time outside the corrupt federalist club, the better we are doing. From strength to strength. Obviously a Labour government could mess things up as they normally do, but that is not the result of Brexit. 

Not my selective data. Data selected by the distinguished economists appointed by the house of Commons for "international comparisons", and covering several years. Data on only one quarter is meaningless.

From the data you posted yourself, UK was performing much better than Germany before the referendum than after the referendum. And at that time, Germany was not the sick man of Europe because of the consequences of the Ukraine invasion.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Time is not on the EU's side when it comes to luring the UK back into it's web. 

As the frankly ridiculous Project Fear continues to be debunked and the EU economy stagnates, handing over billions every year to rejoin a failing club will appear less attractive with each passing year, especially with the UK outperforming the EuroZone (image below from the link in my post above this one). 

I'm not surprised the Germans are so desperate to have us back. 

image.png.6dbd19ac4b66cb8fe2e06fe25c724ead.png

Good point, Germany is indeed the only country to contract in Q2. The main reason for this is that German politicians have steered Germany worse than the other countries. Germany was uniquely dependent on Russian oil, but the knee jerk reaction by leftist politicians in Germany after the Ukraine invasion was to boycott their own main energy source. This not only cost enormous sums, as Germany had to build brandnew infrastructure to store different types of fuel, but it also caused German industry to ring the alarm bell due to unpredictable energy costs and general energy insecurity. This in turn scared off investors who don't want to invest in a place where energy security is not given or energy prices are through the roof, as they were in Germany thanks to decisions by German politicians. All this after they closed German needlessly with lockdowns which cost the German economy, many  many milions.

To fund the gigantic Nordstream project, only in order to cancel it at the last minute, beggars belief in terms of squandering tax payer money.

Then of course there is the total insanity of countless billions handed over to Ukraine which cannot go into funding subsidies for foreign investments, infrastructure or other measure that benefit the economy. It was a boost for Rheinmetall, but a loss for other sectors of the economy. Despite Scholz big words, of course he's finally realised he needs to cut the free handouts to Ukraine., but he'll still pour a few billion in. Crazy.

Germany was already suffering from Chinese competition, German car makers make the best electric vehicle but in the mass market they are unable to compete with China. Same with solar and many other industries. 

I was just in Germany a few weeks ago, the high street is dying because Germans have no money to shop. All the quality shops disappeared and are replaced with nail shops, doner joints and the like, much like in Britain the fried chicken shops are taking over. It's not quite as bad as Harlow, but Germany too is going that way.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And how does that sow a seed for you to invent beliefs in my behalf?

Give it your best shot Jonny.

I didn't invent beliefs. 

You clearly don't think the recipient worked for it. In your world, wealthy people were given everything they have and therefore it's OK to take it from them.

Does that theory reflect failed attempts to garner such wealth? 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Not my selective data. Data selected by the distinguished economists appointed by the house of Commons for "international comparisons", and covering several years. Data on only one quarter is meaningless.

From the data you posted yourself, UK was performing much better than Germany before the referendum than after the referendum. And at that time, Germany was not the sick man of Europe because of the consequences of the Ukraine invasion.

Oh I see. Germany is failing because of Ukraine.

And the imagined failings of Britain (when in reality it is actually outperforming the EuroZone) are due to Brexit. 😃

I think I see a pattern here. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Although I doubt that very few have been restricted  in their movements . Like, Brits can STILL go to mainland Europe , its not as if we've been disallowed from going there 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I didn't invent beliefs. 

You clearly don't think the recipient worked for it. In your world, wealthy people were given everything they have and therefore it's OK to take it from them.

Does that theory reflect failed attempts to garner such wealth? 

There you go doubling down on inventing views on my behalf.

You do know the difference between income tax and capital gains tax?

With a budget due in October and a £22Billion hole in public finances left by the Tories now might be a good time to brush up.

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax#:~:text=You do not have to,tell HMRC about this income

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Oh I see. Germany is failing because of Ukraine.

And the imagined failings of Britain (when in reality it is actually outperforming the EuroZone) are due to Brexit. 😃

I think I see a pattern here. 

I doubt anyone living in the UK is  much concerned about the Germany economy.

Now the UK economy, that’s a different matter.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Although I doubt that very few have been restricted  in their movements . Like, Brits can STILL go to mainland Europe , its not as if we've been disallowed from going there 

A bit of an over simplification of the issue.

• Confused 1