When you hand your condo back

Hi just had a rather curious email for a condo we have in Suukhumvit. 

Agent says when we hand the condo back we must have the a/c cleaned, and a full clean of the room including all bedsheets washed. 

Now it's not a major issue, and of course we will clean the appartment. But cleaning the a/c ? 

Nothing written in the contract about this arrangement. Is this norm? Just concerned as they have two months rent from us as a deposit. 

Cleaning the 'bed sheets' is the most odd of those comments... 

Whenever staying at a place that provides bed-sheets - Hotels, Serviced Apartments, or Air-BnB's I've never had to clean the the bedsheets after departing.

And.. .If a long term apartment / Condo etc - bed sheets are our own, unless its a serviced apartment, in which case, they provide the cleaning anyway (just like a long term hotel).

IF the Apartment is a longer term contract - the Cleaning of the AC is either written into the contract or the responsibility of the owner. 

Thus: The A/C cleaning is a questionable point.

That said: There are loads of companies to clean the A/C (it usually costs around 500 baht per AC to clean - though some charge more).

This seems to me to be the 'beginnings of the Agent looking for ways to hold back the deposit'

What is the Apartment and who is the agent ? 

Perhaps people have past experience of dealing with the chancers.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

I had a bed linen cleaning charge and move out cleaning charge on my past two contracts. I guess it's a thing here. The a/c needed maintenance through me every six months. Failure to do it and I could be liable for any problems.

Also, many places come with dishes. A common scam is if you break anything they need to buy an entire new set, not just that one dish, so be careful. If that happens you can take the rest of the old dish set (which I did once). It also forces them to really buy a whole new set and not just that one dish after you're gone.

If it's not in your contract you don't owe it though.

Edited by JimTripper

Even agent now saying we should clean a/c, have the whole room cleaned with reciepts and even get bedding cleaned. 

Totally taking the mick. 

Agreement only says 'a/c must be kept in good condition'. No where does it state 'clean a/c before returning'. 

We've had the a/c cleaned so many times on our own, the last just a few months ago. 

Been taken advatage of with the deposit being held. 

This is not a backstreet condo, but high end condo in the heart of Sukhumvit with a major developer behind it. 

Edited by JoeyMac

On 8/30/2024 at 3:57 AM, JoeyMac said:

Eh ? since when. 

My last a/c clean guy said no need for a clean for at least 6 months. 

Nothing of it is actually right. The normal cleaning cycle of an air-con unit is roughly every 3 months if used normally.

Eh ? since when. 

Yep, every six month is ok.

I have experience here in Thailand as a landlord and none of the agreements I have used with my tenants have specifically required the tenant to clean the air conditioners at the end of the lease period. I am required to clean the air conditioners once a year, and I typically do this at the anniversary of the initial lease agreement if the tenant is going to renew the lease. Any cleaning during the period of the lease is for the account of the tenant and the agreement states that.

There is nothing in the lease agreement I use about bedding and I expect to have to wash the sheets and duvets for the new tenant.

I do expect the unit to be left in good condition, but a deep cleaning to prepare the unit for a new tenant is for my account, not the tenant's. Any expense I incur beyond the normal deep cleaning provided by the available maid service would be deducted from the security deposit. 

But this is Thailand and the landlord has your deposit. It costs about 500 baht to clean a typical air-conditioning unit, so it may be worth it to have them cleaned and avoid a fuss.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeyMac said:

Even agent now saying we should clean a/c, have the whole room cleaned with reciepts and even get bedding cleaned. 

Totally taking the mick. 

Agreement only says 'a/c must be kept in good condition'. No where does it state 'clean a/c before returning'. 

We've had the a/c cleaned so many times on our own, the last just a few months ago. 

Been taken advatage of with the deposit being held. 

This is not a backstreet condo, but high end condo in the heart of Sukhumvit with a major developer behind it. 

Doesn't matter high end or not. It is the Agent doing it all.. I had the owner of a condo try to pull this on me. they kept all the deposit, but when asked for receipts to show where my deposit went, they blocked my Line and phone number. Explain to the Agent you want receipts to show an accountability for the work he is saying you pay. Not hand written notes because he can do that himself. Printed or company receipts. You can see what he paid then and decide to fight for the deposit later. It will not be easy but there is an agency that can do the paperwork for renters. Google about it to learn more. 

• Like 1

Eh ? since when. 

He is referring to the air filter that I clean every month.  Takes 5 minute and the AC functions a little better.

17 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have experience here in Thailand as a landlord and none of the agreements I have used with my tenants have specifically required the tenant to clean the air conditioners at the end of the lease period. I am required to clean the air conditioners once a year, and I typically do this at the anniversary of the initial lease agreement if the tenant is going to renew the lease. Any cleaning during the period of the lease is for the account of the tenant and the agreement states that.

There is nothing in the lease agreement I use about bedding and I expect to have to wash the sheets and duvets for the new tenant.

I do expect the unit to be left in good condition, but a deep cleaning to prepare the unit for a new tenant is for my account, not the tenant's. Any expense I incur beyond the normal deep cleaning provided by the available maid service would be deducted from the security deposit. 

But this is Thailand and the landlord has your deposit. It costs about 500 baht to clean a typical air-conditioning unit, so it may be worth it to have them cleaned and avoid a fuss.

Good luck.

I'm being quoted 3000 to have my a/c cleaned. There are 3 of them. 

It's not really the money aspect, it's the fact i feel i'm being taken advatage of here. 'get your bed sheets cleaned professionally', 'get the property cleaned and show reciept' - i can clean my property myself. 

It's not really the money aspect, it's the fact i feel i'm being taken advatage of here. 'get your bed sheets cleaned professionally', 'get the property cleaned and show reciept' - i can clean my property myself. 

I understand.

Have you politely asked the agent to show you where in your lease agreement it states that you're required to do any of the tasks they've mentioned? If so, what was their response?

Play the game then....

Clean the AC yourself (just the outer filters - when you lift up the front) - Make your own receipt. 

Clean the Bed Sheets in your own washer, iron them and fold them - Make your own receipt. 

Clean the Property from Top to Bottom - Make your own receipt. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Play the game then....

Clean the AC yourself (just the outer filters - when you lift up the front) - Make your own receipt. 

Clean the Bed Sheets in your own washer, iron them and fold them - Make your own receipt. 

Clean the Property from Top to Bottom - Make your own receipt. 

He has almost 140,000 in 2 months deposits from me. 

26 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

That's worth pushing a bit. The real advantage to an agent is their reputation. They can't just disappear. Most are reliant on websites and listings. Complaints will make or break their business. Tell them what you think is fair and let them know you won't back down and word will get out. Worst case they refund their own commission which is one month rent I think.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Who is the agent ? Remax or someone like that ?

Its in their interest not to obtain a negative name pushing things that are outside of the contract. 

The properties I've rented have been of the same price range - I once had about 10,000 baht removed because of a dent in the fridge door and scratches on the glass hob cooking surfaces - the landlady was extremely fair and took the time to find the best priced replacements (i.e. not replacing a whole fridge, but just getting work men round to remove the dent in the fridge door, the hob was replaced, but just the top glass part) this was more work for the landlady than just getting new ones, but her reputation and that of the property agent seemed to matter to them - I received 130,000 of my 140,000 deposit back.

Thus: IF the agent is forcing something that is not in the contract, then he is in breach of the contract. 

1) Getting the AC cleaned (in Bangkok you can get this done for 500 per AC) PM for a contact if you wish.

2) Getting the place professionally cleaned - there are online services, they may also run deep clean on the curtains and furniture etc.

3) Professionally cleaned Bedding - I'm not even sure what this means to be fair (laundry service).

Perhaps reach out to the agent and ask specifically what they mean as the instruction are rather vague.

• Love It 1