Can somebody please explain this to me..

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Like I said, everyone's situation is unique.

there are those that have many male thai friends.

for me it seems no matter how social I am they just aren't interested..

bob.

Most people can choose their friends who they are comfortable with. I could had many western friends in Thailand, but I choose not to. I know many in same situation, they choose not to be to much social while in Thailand, except it is a friendship based on neutral ground. Like regular meeting at a bar, do some sports, or just driving motorbikes. Real friends who visits each other in their private homes, doesnt happen as much as when I am back in my home country. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I speak Thai.

bob.

I get along with people.  so, I don't know what to say to you.  maybe you have some physical issue like you smell.  or have a grumpy look?  I travel the world.  meet people everywhere.  there will always be people who simply don't like the way you look.  get over it.  and do the numbers game.

3 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

There are social conventions that we do not always get. The women cook and serve, the men sit and drink. You can help a little but you will make more friends downing a shot of lao khao.

If one wants to make friends that way. In my GF's village, the death toll from long-term lao khao poisoning resembles a Russian battalion in Ukraine.

Those that don't die from lao khao become incapacitated.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

If one wants to make friends that way. In my GF's village, the death toll from long-term lao khao poisoning resembles a Russian battalion in Ukraine.

you got many thai man friends, Laces?

bob.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

How many times are you going to have a go with the same dead horse?

listen R2D2, I don't know what YOU are into but dead horses????

that's a bit extreme even for me!

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

listen R2D2, I don't know what YOU are into but dead horses????

that's a bit extreme even for me!

bob.

The phrase "beating a dead horse to death" is a humorous and exaggerated version of the idiom "beating a dead horse," which means to continue pursuing a lost cause or arguing a point that has already been settled. By adding "to death," the phrase emphasizes the futility and redundancy of the action even further, highlighting how pointless and overdone the effort is.

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

listen R2D2

Dyslexic? 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Thanks for your input, charlie.

that still doesn't answer the question of why are thai women more open than thai men to friendships with foreigners.

I personally think there is a lot more to it than just the language barrier..

bob.

What i get from your other posts: the Thai women you meet are most likely prostitutes and see opportunities to make some money. As you also said that you are an alcoholic, that might be the reason for males not to interact.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You do not need to be an alcoholic, but fitting in a little helps.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

As you also said that you are an alcoholic, that might be the reason for males not to interact.

Probably the lack of use of soap. He's been told this before, but chooses to ignore the advice. 

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

True. It depends on how much one wants to "fit in". I don't feel the need to.

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What i get from your other posts: the Thai women you meet are most likely prostitutes and see opportunities to make some money.

I never give any thai women money, even mrs. smith.

bob.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

My biggest regret is not learning the language. It becomes very important when you reach old age.

not hard to learn how to speak a language.  it's reading and writing that I have a problem. when learning a new language, don't try to learn everything at once.  break it into pieces.  learn 500 phrases.  once you reach that point, those 500 phrases will enable you to learn the other stuff.  with 500 phrases, you should be able to carry on a simple conversation.  hello. how are you.  where you from.  excuse me.  how old are you. where's the toilet.  I love you.  etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bob smith said:

there are those that hhave many male thai friends.

for me it seems no matter how social I am they just aren't interested..

bob.

Here you summed it up. For some reason  you are not a popular guy. My guess would be personal hygiene. The Thai's in general have a problem with people that have body odor or to put it simply stink. 

I run every day with a great group of Thai guys and some Thai women. This evening around 5:15 we will meet up while jogging in my village. Since I started 6 years ago slowly with my help a lot of the conversations are in English and we look forward to chatting be it in Thai or English. All professionals with the majority retired and living a nice life. 

Bob its you!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, marin said:

Here you summed it up. For some reason  you are not a popular guy. My guess would be personal hygiene. The Thai's in general have a problem with people that have body odor or to put it simply stink. 

I run every day with a great group of Thai guys and some Thai women. This evening around 5:15 we will meet up while jogging in my village. Since I started 6 years ago slowly with my help a lot of the conversations are in English and we look forward to chatting be it in Thai or English. All professionals with the majority retired and living a nice life. 

Bob its you!

I shower twice a day and wear only the finest cologne.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

wear only the finest cologne.

There we may have the problem.  Judging by your posts bob I am not sure I trust your taste in men's perfume. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, marin said:

There we may have the problem.  Judging by your posts bob I am not sure I trust your taste in men's perfume. 

My cologne costs 500 dollars a bottle.

how about yours?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bubblegum said:

I don't but have Thai (male) friends. I think it really is you Bob. Sorry.

are you sure they are really your friends?

how do you know that they aren't slagging you off to their real friends as soon as your back is turned?

and the fact that you can't speak thai is a huge red flag.

oh to be a fly on the wall when you aren't in the room....

bob.

23 minutes ago, marin said:

Who lives in a village? Of course in a village it's easier to make social contacts. I'm assuming that Bob lives in a city, like the rest of us real players.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

Who lives in a village? Of course in a village it's easier to make social contacts. I'm assuming that Bob lives in a city, like the rest of us real players.

I do, the people are very nice and easy to get along with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I do, the people are very nice and easy to get along with.

that has definitely not been my experience with living in a thai village/moo bahn..

talk about an insular bunch!

bob.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I have no interest fitting in where we live in Isaan. The closest expats alcoholics, and The Isaan men doesnt apply to me to hang around to much.

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

if there's one thing thai men love to do it's talk behind someone's back.

it's perfected to a science here..

bob.

You mean that they love to talk to you when they are right up your behind?  555

2 hours ago, Cameroni said:

What's all this 'real players' bull5h1t? I live in a village and get on with everyone.

• Thanks 1