do you remember sweden 1967 ...

19 hours ago, motdaeng said:

sweden was preparing to switch to driving on the right side of the road...

the funny thing is, before the change in 1967, swedish people drove their left-hand drive cars on the left side (!)...

sorry, i only found a facebook link to this bbc report.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/oWsU6FU3Jskar5kC/?mibextid=Mk4v2M

20240830.png.fb26b0b6e86ce34914bc43c907b961ef.png

And your point is......?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

And your point is......?

- as stated in the title: do you remember this?
- probably not everyone knows that some countries have switched from driving on the left to driving on the right side of the road.
- anyone who has driven a left-hand drive car in a country with left-hand traffic knows how challenging it can be (i did it for a few weeks),

especially when overtaking! in sweden, this was the norm until 1967: drivers sat on the left side in left-hand traffic, which doesn't make any 

sense to me! maybe someone from sweden could shed some light on the reason behind this unusual setup ...

Edited by motdaeng
spelling
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, khunPer said:

However, it worked extremely well, so not as ridiculous as you try to state...:whistling:

Per, it was clearly a joke. Imagine introducing a change like that slowly - lots of these:  🤕

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

- as stated in the title: do you remember this?
- probably not everyone knows that some countries have switched from driving on the left to driving on the right side of the road.
- anyone who has driven a left-hand drive car in a country with left-hand traffic knows how challenging it can be (i did it for a few weeks),

especially when overtaking! in sweden, this was the norm until 1967: drivers sat on the left side in left-hand traffic, which doesn't make any 

sense to me! maybe someone from sweden could shed some light on the reason behind this unusual setup ...

Really?😂

• Confused 2

On 8/30/2024 at 4:52 PM, DaLa said:

Ridiculous to attempt to change overnight. They should have introduced it slowly over a period of a few weeks.

Agreed. Cars and bicycles switch to the right to start with, followed by buses and motobikes six months later.

• Haha 1

There was one casualty on the first day on the switch from left to right and that was a man  riding his bicycle home after a few drinks and forgot all about the change.

On 8/30/2024 at 4:52 PM, DaLa said:

Ridiculous to attempt to change overnight. They should have introduced it slowly over a period of a few weeks.

Weeks? Weeks?

When Italy switched it was YEARS!

Officially, the highway code in 1912 made it a legal requirement to drive on the right, but cities with tram networks could continue to drive on the left (with appropriate signage on entering). Rome changed in 1925 and Milan in 1926.

To answer our OP, yes, I do remember the switch-over although I was only 8. In reality, the only reason I'd even heard of Sweden was the fact that my dad owned a Volvo Amazon :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burma, switched from driving on the left to driving on the right in 1970. If I remember correctly, all vehicles still used cars with steering on the right.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

There was one casualty on the first day on the switch from left to right and that was a man  riding his bicycle home after a few drinks and forgot all about the change.

Not proud of this, but I remember driving my car in south-west France at night all the way home from a bar when I was blind-drunk.  I drove about 10km on the left side of the road (wrong side of the road), and never encountered any other vehicles, (as far as I can recall!!).

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

And your point is......?

TBH I knew this only after reading this post. I think, posts like these are interesting and useful for many members.

Your question  "And your point is......?" for this,  I feel is not really right - in fact I would like to ask you...  And your point is......?

Just my thought.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Not proud of this, but I remember driving my car in south-west France at night all the way home from a bar when I was blind-drunk.  I drove about 10km on the left side of the road (wrong side of the road), and never encountered any other vehicles, (as far as I can recall!!).

Easy to do drunk or sober . 

When I first began living in Norway I would sometimes forget myself on quiet roads with no traffic. One time I come face to face with a bus on a bend . I never forgot again after that experiance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ravip said:

TBH I knew this only after reading this post. I think, posts like these are interesting and useful for many members.

Your question  "And your point is......?" for this,  I feel is not really right - in fact I would like to ask you...  And your point is......?

Just my thought.

Is there anything to learn from this issue in 1967? No! In Sweden nobody will remember this year complaining it's still an obstacle in 2024.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Is there anything to learn from this issue in 1967? No! In Sweden nobody will remember this year complaining it's still an obstacle in 2024.

It is up to you, Sir. I did learn something, and I am happy with the post and would love to see more similar posts.

But, if it is useless for you, just skip it. Simple.

• Agree 2

On 8/30/2024 at 11:52 AM, DaLa said:

Absolutely. Maybe left handed men in week 1, blonde men in week 2. Women in week 3. Bloody Swedes, what do they know?

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:52 AM, DaLa said:

Are you thinking, over a week, or two period, they can drive left, and right simultanly?  I mean, the best receipt, for a mass of head on collisions. For the happines of car body smiths.