Tax on higher-value AliExpress items

HauptmannUK

I want to buy a particular Android headunit to experiment with. I can only find it on AliExpress. Cost around ฿5-6k.  I know that the law was changed recently to apply import tax on items above ฿1500.  Does anyone have any RECENT experience of having to pay tax on  items sourced from AliExpress wi่th a declared value over ฿1500?

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I want to buy a particular Android headunit to experiment with. I can only find it on AliExpress. Cost around ฿5-6k.  I know that the law was changed recently to apply import tax on items above ฿1500.  Does anyone have any RECENT experience of having to pay tax on  items sourced from AliExpress wi่th a declared value over ฿1500?

I had to look up what a head unit is.

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-android-auto-head-units/

How mich is the hickity on AliExpress? It's only $80 on Amazon.

I assume if Thailand is like other places, the tax is determined by the item, not the cost. In other words, the tax on bringing in a motorcar is not the same as the tax of bringing in a computer.... and then you have the added confusion that many many item can be looked at differently by customs officials... if you bring in drinking glasses, it could be viewed as kitchen items, glasses, items of glass, or crystal.. and each might have a different rate of taxation... that is how it is in the USA and probably here too... 

12 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

None had my computer delivered no charges.

8 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I just recently paid 12 baht tax on a 98 baht total order (molex connector) shipped from Malaysia 

I paid 60 THB on a declared $24 shipment of meds from India. The girl at the po said 7% on everything now.

Edited by bradiston

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it's coming from China there's an FTA and the possibility of DDP (Delivery Duty Paid) shipping.

Ask your seller what he can do.

fta doesn't cover vat and it normally applies to import and export companies with proper government documents 

• Like 1

Just now, yankee99 said:

fta doesn't cover vat and it normally applies to import and export companies with proper government documents 

True, DDP works just fine though, no duty or VAT to pay 🙂

Thanks for the replies. Still a totally confusing situation though...  

This week I received an item (a plastic moulding) from AliExpress - picked up from BangLamung PO. I was told nothing to pay because the value was only ฿1000.

I asked how much I would I have to pay on a ฿5k item and was told that they 'don't know, wait until it arrives'?!

I want a particular product from one seller in China - they will do DDP to EU/UK but not Thailand.

Maybe I'll just order it and cross my fingers....