Greta Thunberg Detained by Danish Police During Gaza War Protest

Social Media

image.png

Danish police detained climate activist Greta Thunberg on Wednesday during a protest in Copenhagen against the ongoing war in Gaza. The demonstration, organized by a student group, took place at Copenhagen University, where Thunberg and other protesters aimed to raise awareness and express their opposition to the conflict.

GWniS8oWAAAbtF9?format=jpg&name=small

The protest led to the apprehension of six individuals after a group of around 20 people blocked the entrance to a university building, with three of them reportedly entering the premises. A police spokesperson confirmed the detentions but did not disclose the identities of those arrested. However, a spokesperson for the Students Against the Occupation, the group behind the demonstration, confirmed to Reuters that Thunberg was among those detained.

A photograph published by the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet showed Thunberg, who has become a global symbol of youth activism, reportedly wearing handcuffs during the arrest. The image quickly circulated online, drawing attention to her involvement in the protest and the actions taken by Danish authorities.

Thunberg's participation in the protest underscores her ongoing commitment to activism, extending beyond climate issues to include human rights and social justice. The protest in Copenhagen was part of a broader series of demonstrations across the world, as activists and concerned citizens voice their opposition to the violence and humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

The detainment of Thunberg has sparked further discussions about the role of youth activists in global movements and the responses they face from authorities. As the situation in Gaza continues to escalate, protests like the one in Copenhagen are likely to persist, with activists such as Thunberg remaining at the forefront of calls for peace and justice.

Credit: Reuters 2024-09-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, Somjot said:

The civilians in Gaza were murdered by Israeli bullets and bombs, not by Hammas.

The reason the civilians are dying by Israeli weapons is because hammas is using them as human shields.Netanyahu made the brutal choice of not playing the usual hostages/human shield game.hes apparently not negotiating and just seems to be focusing on killing hammas.its a brutal calculation I certainly don’t condone it it’s a horror show brought on by the actions of hammas.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

Thunberg's participation in the protest underscores her ongoing commitment to activism, extending beyond climate issues to include human rights and social justice.

Greta, acting like a corporation, is diversifying her interests...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

She’s a cheeky lass gotta say I admire her passion tho I don’t agree with her sticking up for hammas .all of those criminals need to be hunted down and killed,not only for what they did to the Israelis but for the horror they brought on the civilians of Gaza.

Don't remember her protesting about the murder of 1200 mainly civilians by the Palestinians. Nor the rape, burning alive and mutilations!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, loong said:

Don't remember her protesting about the murder of 1200 mainly civilians by the Palestinians. Nor the rape, burning alive and mutilations!

No that was over in about 10 hours, before anyone could organize a protest.

The slaughter of the women and children and the destruction of homes, schools and hospitals has been going on for 11 months and continuing daily.

Big difference you see.

I object to it also. The Israeli soldiers are complete cowards, if they were brave like me they would go in and remove the Hamas fighters and leave the children alone. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

40.000 killed in 9 months, over100,000 injured, nearly 1 million made homeless, starvation among the Palestinians, no food distribution, no medical supplies, over 100 journalists killed, and you think that is relatively few?

From the BBC news website this morning about the West Bank.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpdl3veg1l4o

A funeral has been held for a 16-year-old Palestinian girl reportedly killed by Israeli forces in the north of the occupied West Bank on the seventh day of a wide-scale Israeli operation.
Lujain Musleh’s father said she was shot in the head as she looked out of a window of her home in Kafr Dan, just outside Jenin, after soldiers surrounded a neighbouring house on Tuesday.
The Israeli military said armed fighters fired at the soldiers and that they “fired back at a suspect who observed” them.

Murdered for looking out of a window.

5 hours ago, loong said:

Blaming one side for atrocities worse that the other or comparing atrocities by one side or the other is inane and just fuels the conflict.

It's just like 2 little kids fighting. " oh, he hit me first". "Yes, but then he hit me harder". " but he kicked me".....and on and on.

It's a conflict. There are two sides involved. They are both wrong and both need to be stopped.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Blaming one side for atrocities worse that the other or comparing atrocities by one side or the other is inane and just fuels the conflict.

It's just like 2 little kids fighting. " oh, he hit me first". "Yes, but then he hit me harder". " but he kicked me".....and on and on.

It's a conflict. There are two sides involved. They are both wrong and both need to be stopped.

I agree, This has been going on since 1948 and ignored by the world until last year. Now they are talking about it, but still doing nothing, meanwhile every day Palestinians are dying, Israelis are stealing Palestinian homes and land and being ignored,

Can YOU come up up with a workable plan to stop it?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree, This has been going on since 1948 and ignored by the world until last year. Now they are talking about it, but still doing nothing, meanwhile every day Palestinians are dying, Israelis are stealing Palestinian homes and land and being ignored,

Can YOU come up up with a workable plan to stop it?

Yes. Stop taking sides.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Greta, acting like a corporation, is diversifying her interests...

I suspect the climate doomsday cult have given her the marching orders.

They need a child deity, not a frumpy 20 something who looks like a 40 year old called Karen. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And that will make it stop?

Why not bury your head in the sand? It will probably achieve the same result.

My head is not buried in the sand. 

It's quite simple. Everyone, including the government's of the world, stop taking sides. Intervene and sort it out.

You are guilty of taking sides. Your post only mentioned wrongs by Isreal. By doing that, you are fueling the situation. You blame Isreal then someone else blames Hamas.

All the arguing and p%$sing in the wind that follows, certainly isn’t going to sort anything out.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Quite intelligent, person of the year and a great ability to trigger old climate change denying elderly gentleman.

If she really cared about pollution she would be protesting in china and india

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tug said:

The reason the civilians are dying by Israeli weapons is because hammas is using them as human shields.

This is simply not true.

The reason they're dying is because the IDF is flattening their country and killing everyone living there, 2/3 of them being women and children, while at the same time the Palestinians have no place to go.

13 hours ago, Tug said:

Netanyahu made the brutal choice of not playing the usual hostages/human shield game.hes apparently not negotiating and just seems to be focusing on killing hammas.its a brutal calculation

Would he make the same choice if his parents or his children would be held hostage in Gaza?

Would you?

This was never about freeing the hostages.

I don't know if you've heard about the Hannibal directive: if a IDF soldier sees an Israeli being taken hostage by a Hamas member, he has to shoot them both.

13 hours ago, Tug said:

I certainly don’t condone it it’s a horror show brought on by the actions of hammas.

According to your “legal logic”:

If a huge guy grabs a girl by the pussy and she slaps him and in return the guy rapes her and breaks all her bones, the girl is to blame for her broken bones?

If she wouldn't have slapped him, she would never have ended up in coma.

Right?

I mean sure, it wasn't a good idea to slap that big guy.

But I guess we both know, who belongs into jail.

7th October was a horrible act of terrorism.

No question.

But the response of Israel … sorry but I just don't see the proportionality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1