Getting current medications prescriptions for travel

decline

I'm currently taking tramadol and pregabalin and about to fly home where they need a prescription 

I live in Pattaya and tried Bangkok Hospital, Ban Lamung Hospital and Jomtien Hospital with all my previous prescription documents and they will only offer my different medications

Can clinics help with this? I only need 1 weeks worth of medication to get a UK doctor appointment (where I was prescribed it)

19 minutes ago, decline said:

I'm currently taking tramadol and pregabalin and about to fly home where they need a prescription 

I live in Pattaya and tried Bangkok Hospital, Ban Lamung Hospital and Jomtien Hospital with all my previous prescription documents and they will only offer my different medications

Can clinics help with this? I only need 1 weeks worth of medication to get a UK doctor appointment (where I was prescribed it)

Not surprising, I believe tramadol is an opioid and you shouldn't be able to get that anywhere as an out patient. Not sure if pregabalin is restricted or not but anxiety medication has become more difficult to get in recent years.

Not all medications are available in Thailand and you may well have to accept an alternative till you get back. Very unlikely you will get a different response from a clinic or pharmacy unless an under the counter option.

3 hours ago, decline said:

I am having trouble following this.

Do you already have these medications and need a written prescription to show doctors in the UK?

Or do you have the medications but not enough to last you until you can refill prescription in the UK? If this is the case, yo ucan simply buy what you need at a pharmacy. Both tramadol and pregbalin are available over the counter in Thailand, though many smaller pharmacies will refuse to sell tramadol or sell it only in combination with paracetemol (Ultraset).  Suggest Fascino's.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not surprising, I believe tramadol is an opioid and you shouldn't be able to get that anywhere as an out patient. Not sure if pregabalin is restricted or not but anxiety medication has become more difficult to get in recent years.

Not all medications are available in Thailand and you may well have to accept an alternative till you get back. Very unlikely you will get a different response from a clinic or pharmacy unless an under the counter option.

I can buy tramadol over the counter at a pharmacy in Chiang Rai. No prescription needed.

I guess if I asked for a couple of month's supply, I would be refused. However, I am only buying one sheaf of ten tablets once every two months or so.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can buy tramadol over the counter at a pharmacy in Chiang Rai. No prescription needed.

There is always somewhere where the rules will be flouted and the OP may very well welcome that information.

Some years ago I saw a pharmacy sellin Nurofen so I asked for a packet of Nurofen Plus, pharmacist just held his hands out in a handcuffs gesture.

I buy tramadol at Boots with no prescription.  100mg tablets, up to 2 packs of 10 each at a time.  They ask to see my passport and take down my name in a notebook each time.  I don't know where that information goes.  I buy tramadol in a lot of Chinatown pharmacies, 50mg x 10 pieces.  Some limit it to 2 packs at a time, some 5 packs at a time.  Some ask for my name on a piece of paper, none ask to see my passport.  Some don't carry it at all.

Obviously, YMMV.  But if it's available at Boots pharmacies, it can't be too illegal.  BTW, it's not for me.  A friend of mine has cancer.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There is always somewhere where the rules will be flouted and the OP may very well welcome that information.

Some years ago I saw a pharmacy sellin Nurofen so I asked for a packet of Nurofen Plus, pharmacist just held his hands out in a handcuffs gesture.

No flouting of the rules involved: Tramadol and Pregbalin are both, by law, available without prescription in Thailand.

Codeine, on the other hand is strictly controlled and not only needs a prescription but can only be gotten at a hospital or clinic. (In addition, there is no Nurofen Plus or equivalent registered for use in Thailand.)

I take both pregabalin and tramadol, along with duloxetine for diabetic neuropathic pain. They work absolutely fantastically. They are all available over the counter or cheaper, via mail order from Bangkok. I pay 5 baht a 50mg cap for tramadol and 2000 baht for pregabalin 56 x 50mg caps.

I have trouble getting duloxetine generic....I get offered it at the brand price of 2000 baht for 28 capsules. I had to buy some in another country last year, 2000 baht equivalent for 100 caps. The US patent expired in 2014.  

9 hours ago, decline said:

Don't fly through Dubai or Abu Dhabi (maybe others in the ME) with Tramadol unless you are carrying some medical paperwork for it.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, decline said:

As someone who has bought both of these meds at different pharmacies in Pattaya and other cities in Thailand,  it seems almost unbelievable that anyone would have trouble to buy these.  Some places will limit you to 2 strips of tramadol daily but many places will sell you the entire box at a discounted price.  In my opinion,  someone would have to be very unlucky to walk into several Pattaya pharmacies and not be able to buy both of these meds.  I would totally agree with this posters comments " Don't fly through Dubai or Abu Dhabi (maybe others in the ME) with Tramadol unless you are carrying some medical paperwork for it. "   I wouldn't chance it even if I have supporting paperwork.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, decline said:

Your mistake was asking the hospitals. 

Just ask a couple of pharmacies as the other posters told you.

@how241is spot on. Don't fly throug  Dubai or Abu Dhabi (or Egypt, for that matter).

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No flouting of the rules involved: Tramadol and Pregbalin are both, by law, available without prescription in Thailand.

Some years ago a fairly senior doctor told me opioid based painkillers couldn't be prescribed to outpatients. Following your post I looked it up and see that Tramadol can be obtained from a pharmacist and quite happy to stand corrected on that point.

I never said there was any restriction on Pregbalin, just suggested that it may not be easy to obtain based on my experience with similar medication over 25 years.

You are out of order linking the same comment to both medications.

I also said that not all medicines, meaning what the OP would see as normal, are not available in Thailand. Something you have chosen to ignore. The Nurofen Plus incident was a very long time ago and merely a highlight on how some Thai pharmacies view narcotic based medication compared to the UK.

OP were you by chance offered "Marol" instead of Tramadol  ?

Bizarrely I at home take one of each every day the Marol being the modified slow release for daytimes and the Tramadol at night

Essentially its the same Med