Thailand Integrates Online Sales into VAT System; New Measures Announced

4 hours ago, john donson said:

I am sure the many stall sellers send the 7% vat to the right authority... or do they come in brown envelopes?

I bet most of the non food stall seller get their stuff straight from China.....Thai manufacturing is a drop in the bucket next to China...

China may very well give these taxes a big....LOL

Edited by redwood1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In a related move, the Cabinet extinguished the VAT exemption for imported goods valued below 1,500 baht (US$44), effective from July 5. T

This was months ago already. Has anyone actually seen a comment on Lazada or Shopee saying that Thai VAT has been included for a cheap purchase from Big Brother? I haven't noticed anything.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1

They can force Lazada and Shopee to add VAT to stuff ordered from their Thai websites but shipped from China but I don't see how they can do that to overseas vendors, such as Aliexpress and Temu.  They said somewhere they will have to register a presence in Thailand too but there again, I don't see how to force that.  Thailand doesn't have extraterritorial jurisdiction in China.  All it could do to enforce this, if foreign vendors don't comply, is to ask the foreign government to pass a law obliging firms to register for VAT in Thailand, if they export there.  They still have the ability to tax the goods when they arrive in Thailand but that would involve opening everything to check whether VAT charged or not.