Hip Replacement Surgery In Thailand

GooEng

Do any readers of this page have any experience of having a hip replacement procedure done in Thailand?

My right hip was damaged badly in a car accident in the UK 2.5 years ago, then reconstructed in surgery, but it's deteriorating as i was told it would, and I'll need a replacement before too long.

Specifically interested to know satisfaction with results and overall costs.

Any experiences or information shared would be gratrefully received.
Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

Compare prices carefully.  Private hospitals tend to have hidden charges and upsell as much as they can

I am thinking of one in particular...................When checking hospitals make sure that the doctor you pick specializes in Hip Replacement             Specializations here can be pretty narrow     hence no G P's

• Thanks 1

I have had both of my hip joints replaced.  The first was done at Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, which is a private hospital, but more for middle to middle upper class Thais.  My Doctors were Dr. Ratchata Tangsiriphat and Dr. Songat Limpiwatki. They did a great job and kept me in the hospital for a week to monitor the incision healing (drainage) and for physical therapy from a US educated Thai PT. (not sure he's still there and I don't have his name).  This was in 2008.  I've had overall a good experience.  The cost at that time was around USD11,000.00.

In 2018 I had my other hip replaced in the US (Houston).  The day of my surgery I was required to shower (at my domicile) using the cleansing techniques described in a pre-op training conducted by orthopedic nurses. I then traveled to the hospital. I think about 16-18 of us were lined up on gurneys in a preop room.  The Doctor came through, marked up the hip (to be sure he operated on the correct hips) and made to wait while the surgeries were done like an assembly line.  Once 'we' had completed recovery, each person was put in the hospital room. The next morning catheters were removed and a therapy session was conducted to be sure you understood how and what to do.  You were then released to your friend or family who would drive you home. For Medicare in the US now, you don't even get to over night in the hospital.

I will say that the surgery went well, but I've had much more pain in that hip than the one done in Thailand.  (Oh, and the bill to Medicare and my secondary insurance was over $30,000.00.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I have had both of my hip joints replaced.  The first was done at Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, which is a private hospital, but more for middle to middle upper class Thais.  My Doctors were Dr. Ratchata Tangsiriphat and Dr. Songat Limpiwatki. They did a great job and kept me in the hospital for a week to monitor the incision healing (drainage) and for physical therapy from a US educated Thai PT. (not sure he's still there and I don't have his name).  This was in 2008.  I've had overall a good experience.  The cost at that time was around USD11,000.00.

In 2018 I had my other hip replaced in the US (Houston).  The day of my surgery I was required to shower (at my domicile) using the cleansing techniques described in a pre-op training conducted by orthopedic nurses. I then traveled to the hospital. I think about 16-18 of us were lined up on gurneys in a preop room.  The Doctor came through, marked up the hip (to be sure he operated on the correct hips) and made to wait while the surgeries were done like an assembly line.  Once 'we' had completed recovery, each person was put in the hospital room. The next morning catheters were removed and a therapy session was conducted to be sure you understood how and what to do.  You were then released to your friend or family who would drive you home. For Medicare in the US now, you don't even get to over night in the hospital.

I will say that the surgery went well, but I've had much more pain in that hip than the one done in Thailand.  (Oh, and the bill to Medicare and my secondary insurance was over $30,000.00.

Very interesting read.

BTW the surgery is much less bloody nowadays, drainages (where germs can enter) aren't used anymore.