Want to Invalidate My Non-O and Apply for a DTV

I just crossed over into Laos a couple days ago to use  my re-entry stamp.  Was thinking this would be all need to do before heading to Vientiane but it just hit me.  I'll still have my Non-O when crossing into Laos next week without a re-entry.  Will the Thai Embassy tell me I have a visa and I'm not eligible for a new visa.   I forget when they invalidate the visa.  Upon leaving or at re-entry.

13 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I just crossed over into Laos a couple days ago to use  my re-entry stamp.  Was thinking this would be all need to do before heading to Vientiane but it just hit me.  I'll still have my Non-O when crossing into Laos next week without a re-entry.  Will the Thai Embassy tell me I have a visa and I'm not eligible for a new visa.   I forget when they invalidate the visa.  Upon leaving or at re-entry.

when you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit or a still valid multi entry visa, your permission to stay ends, 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

when you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit or a still valid multi entry visa, your permission to stay ends, 

Thanks - was hoping that was the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

The fact you had a re-entry permit informs me you have a 1 year extension of stay, a permit, not a visa.

Your Non Imm O visa expired either when used to enter Thailand, or on the 'enter before' date, but your Immigration status remains Non Immigrant, as opposed to Tourist.

Leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit cancels any remaining permission of stay.

You do not hold a valid visa and may apply for any other type of visa.

Note the DTV is classed as a Tourist visa, so if at a later date you wish to apply for 1 year extensions again, you'll have to start from scratch obtaining a new Non Imm O visa first.

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The fact you had a re-entry permit informs me you have a 1 year extension of stay, a permit, not a visa.

Your Non Imm O visa expired either when used to enter Thailand, or on the 'enter before' date, but your Immigration status remains Non Immigrant, as opposed to Tourist.

Leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit cancels any remaining permission of stay.

You do not hold a valid visa and may apply for any other type of visa.

Note the DTV is classed as a Tourist visa, so if at a later date you wish to apply for 1 year extensions again, you'll have to start from scratch obtaining a new Non Imm O visa first.

Thanks and all the above makes sense.  Not concerned about reapplying for new NON-O because the process isn't difficult.  My only concern is my ability to purchase a car which I plan on doing soon and not being able to get a residency permit with a DTV. 

Someone else brought up getting a yellow book but looked into that and it would probably be near impossible in the sticks where I live.    Debating buying a car before switching to a DTV and before selling my existing car.  

From the DTV guide linked below ("announcements"):

"It’s expected that you’ll apply for the DTV visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. "

That's in line with what I understood.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From the DTV guide linked below:

"It’s expected that you’ll apply for the DTV visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. "

That's in line with what I understood.

The link above is missing 🙂  You can apply in Vientiane and I conformed this already.

• Agree 1

Just now, atpeace said:

The link above is missing 🙂  You can apply in Vientiane and I conformed this already.

It's the DTV guide from the forum.

I see it at the bottom of the page.

But if you have confirmed all Ok.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's the DTV guide from the forum.

I see it at the bottom of the page.

But if you have confirmed all Ok.

The guide is misinformative.

The DTV which is classed as a Tourist type visa can be applied for at any Thai Embassy offering it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Someone else brought up getting a yellow book but looked into that and it would probably be near impossible in the sticks where I live.    Debating buying a car before switching to a DTV and before selling my existing car.  

You'll also only qualify for the 2 year driving licence when renewing.

• Thumbs Up 1

My only concern is my ability to purchase a car which I plan on doing soon and not being able to get a residency permit with a DTV. 

you can get a COR on any visa, even on a visas exempt ( I did)
and thats all u need to purchase a car and put in ur name

4 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

you can get a COR on any visa, even on a visas exempt ( I did)
and thats all u need to purchase a car and put in ur name

That is not the case at CW.

To obtain a COR you will require a TM47 receipt.

Not possible on visa exempt or tourist visa. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which you will get with a DTV after your first 90 report?  Nobody has done a 90 day report with a DTV so I could be wrong.  Wait and see...

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Phuket   
every immigration has its own rules 

Roi Et?  Phang Nga?  Hat Yai??