Large-Scale Search Underway for Missing Belgian Tourist

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture Courtesy: Naew Na

A large-scale search operation has been launched in Mae Hong Son province for a 28-year-old Belgian tourist, Ms. Cloe Ferari, who disappeared on September 6th.

Pol. Lt. Col. Suwit Bunyapeng, Tourist Police Inspector for the province, reported that Ms. Ferari vanished from her accommodation, leaving on a bicycle. Concern grew quickly when her abandoned bicycle was discovered at the entrance to Mae Yen Waterfall in Pai district.

The search operation involves multiple agencies, including the tourist police, local Pai police station, district administration officials, Pai Samakkhi Rescue volunteers, the Pai Enduro team, and soldiers from the 7th Infantry Regiment.

Efforts to locate Ms. Ferari began earnestly yesterday afternoon. The discovery of her bicycle heightened the urgency, prompting officers to trek through heavy rain and flash floods in a bid to find her. Given the challenging terrain and inclement weather, vehicles could not be used, adding to the search's complexitym reported Naew Na.

Due to worsening conditions, the search team had to suspend their efforts at 10:15 p.m. last night. However, they resumed the operation at first light this morning, hoping to leverage better weather and increased visibility.

The local authorities have also issued an appeal to residents and visitors in the area to report any sightings or information related to Ms. Ferari's whereabouts. As the community rallies together, anxiety grows for the young tourist's safety amid unpredictable weather conditions and rugged terrain.

This incident underscores the importance of maintaining safety precautions when exploring natural attractions, especially during the monsoon season. Authorities are urging tourists to stay informed about weather advisories and to avoid risky adventures that could put them in harm's way.

image.jpeg

Picture Courtesy: Naew Na

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-07

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

4 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Hope she is soon found fit and well.  People seem to do some strange things when on holiday e.g. wander off alone into the jungle whereas nowadays at home they wouldn't dream of going to the local park or woodland alone for a stroll. 

It doesn't happen often thank God, but it happens all over the world, I do not want to be negative I hope she is ok but I  fear foul play, I will prey that she is found safe and well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

UPDATE

Belgian Tourist Found Dead Near Pai Dam After Disappearance

IMG_5252.jpeg

Picture of where the body was found.

Authorities in Pai District, Mae Hong Son Province, have confirmed the tragic discovery  of the body of a Belgian tourist, identified as Cloe Ferari, aged 28, who went missing on September 6. The search for the tourist began early this morning, involving a coordinated effort by local police, tourist police, rescue teams, and forest officials.

At around 09:30, law enforcement and rescue units, including officers from Pai Police Station, tourist police, volunteers from the Pai Samakkhi rescue team, and personnel from Mae Hi Subdistrict Administrative Organisation, began scouring the area after reports of Ms. Ferari's disappearance. She had last been seen leaving her accommodation with a bicycle the previous day.

The search ended in tragedy when her body was discovered at 12:00 near the Huai Mae Yen Dam in Mae Hi Subdistrict, Pai District. Officials on the scene immediately secured the area, and at 12:45, a doctor from Pai Hospital conducted a preliminary examination to determine the cause of death.

Further investigation will follow to establish the exact circumstances surrounding her death.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-07

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

4 hours ago, ronster said:

If the waterfall and rivers were in spate and was raining like they said then high chance she may have slipped into flooded river . 

Can easily fall in be covered up.

How far is the dam from where her bike was?   RIP.   Being an experienced woodsman, if I was alone and caught on a flooding hillside during a severe rain event I may freak out and risk  water crossings  to get home rather than hunker down.    

9 hours ago, chrisjinla said:

Unfortunately they found her body about an hour ago. 

Screenshot at Sep 07 13-09-26.png

AWWWW - so terribly sad, a young person who might not have been as careful as one needed to be, but we are all like that when we are young. I hope she at least had a good life up to the end. 

• Confused 2

I've been to that fall many times, and seen a lot of young people climbing precariously amongst the rocks. Wonder if any weed was involved? That would be just enough to impair your sense of spatial judgment and balance. One slip, one fall, one bang of the head, one moment of misjudgment and it's over. 

• Confused 5
  • Agree 1

On 9/7/2024 at 12:35 PM, Bohemianfish said:

Dangerous along the border? My wife seems to think the border areas can be sketchy.

My wife is from MHS and when the Burmese and the Karens get to shooting at each other they can hear the machine gun fire and motars going off