Effects of ingesting THC Cannabis Oil versus Inhaling THC from Cannabis

I'm wondering what THC oil normally sells for in Thailand. Don't see much of it around.

I found the following online from a Pattaya dispensary. Appears to be made by the government. Doesn't sound inexpensive for a 10ml bottle:

https://dispensary.freshmediq.com/product/gpo-thc-forte-10ml/

And this source is selling 10ml for almost double the price of the government brand above:

https://www.thaikanya.com/product/190078-181897/thc-oil

Perhaps there are better, lower cost sources, but this is all I really found. 

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

there are much better higher quality lower cost oils out there believe me.

both those products are iffy at best. having personal experience with GPO i could tell you a few stories. 

the 2nd one. they are clearly experts in cannabis knowledge when they say.....

Unlock the potential of Tetrahydrocannabinol, abbreviated as THC, found abundantly
in cannabis leaves.

Are you saying commercially manufactured or made by small vendors and sold?

I wonder why the whole edible market in Thailand seems so under stocked in general. Lots of people who don't like to smoke, and don't just want CBD, so it seems there would be a good market for it. 

Seems like CBD oil is everywhere, but many people want it with the THC too. 

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Are you saying commercially manufactured or made by small vendors and sold?

I wonder why the whole edible market in Thailand seems so under stocked in general. Lots of people who don't like to smoke, and don't just want CBD, so it seems there would be a good market for it. 

Seems like CBD oil is everywhere, but many people want it with the THC too. 

small craft over commercial all day. we are doing our best to fill that gap in the edibles market. we have quite the high satisfaction rate with our edibles. 

personal doses can be made by the right supplier. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2024 at 12:40 AM, HugoFastor said:

Edible cannabis oil and you are looking at about one hour before you feel the onset of the effects and about one and a half hours until you’re feeling the full effect of the dose you’ve taken. 

you are probably not going to feel it as intensely as you will from a concentrated form of THC, something like an edible cannabis oil. 

With the oil, I swallow some of it, get into bed and, as the oil starts taking affect, I start to feel more relaxed from the THC and then doze off without any feelings of anxiety from any form of increased body temperature or heart rate. 

Oil is also more portable and easier to consume on a regular basis as it requires no burning or extra equipment to be able to consume it. Just carry it in a small glass dropper bottle and you can take a few drops of it anytime or anywhere with complete discretion, no smoke and without causing any disturbance to others. I usually just squeeze out a few drops from the glass dropper onto a square of my favorite chocolate, then eat it and done. 

Just a few comments, based on experiences from former times when I used to partake.

Instead of having to rely on the quality and content of commercially supplied oil, why not make your own?

• Remove stalks and chop up a bud/buds in a mortise & pestle.
  • Add some extra virgin olive oil and grind to a paste.
  • Add oil as desired.
  • Place in a light proof container and keep refrigerated.
  • For best results eat a portion on an empty stomach.
  • THC degrades with heat and light (store & carry accordingly).

With commercial oils, who knows what type and quality of oil has been used? 

What else has been added?

Do you want to be consuming it?

What is the quality of cannabis used? Much better to hand select your buds.

Cannabis, as an oil, will deteriorate through poor storage and handling.

Adding any food to your edible oil or paste will delay absorption.

Regarding your experience of a relaxed onset, I'd comment that an increased heart rate may be occurring regardless of any feelings of anxiety or relaxation.

You may not be anxious, nor have increased body heat, to have an elevated heart rate.

A surgeon had indicated that long term use of cannabis stresses the heart, causes blood platelets to stick together, alters heart rhythm, and elevates heart rate.

Smoking it also elevates CO1 levels in the blood stream.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

Instead of having to rely on the quality and content of commercially supplied oil, why not make your own?

• Remove stalks and chop up a bud/buds in a mortise & pestle.
  • Add some extra virgin olive oil and grind to a paste.
  • Add oil as desired.
  • Place in a light proof container and keep refrigerated.
  • For best results eat a portion on an empty stomach.
  • THC degrades with heat and light (store & carry accordingly)

Just some clarification.

The active ingredients of cannabis are fat soluble.

Being a fat, the ingredients within the chopped up buds become absorbed by the olive oil.

Think of the olive oil as a delivery medium.

Butter can also be used.

The urban teaching of adding the chopped up buds into your cookie or muffin mixture and then baking it in the oven is misinformed.

The high temperature you end up subjecting the cannabis to will destroy most of the active ingredients.

If you want cannabis cookies, cook your cookies as normal, separately grind your buds and mix them into butter, then spread the infused butter onto the cookie or muffin. Never heat cannabis.

Having said that, eating cannabis with food will delay the onset of your experience.

If I was going to start using again, I'd definitely explore the edible route.

Far, far safer than smoking in every way.

To begin with, if your smoking you won't be using a filter.

If you use a water pipe, this is false security as most of the bad by products are not water soluble and will pass through.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NedR69 said:

No DECARB?  Unless you decarb the flower/cannabis plant...you're just blowing smoke up someone's arse.

If you grind raw flower/bud/or any part of the plant and mix it with anything and then consume it....you ain't getting chyte.  

Decarb is short for Decarboxylation.  

If I missed the part about decarbing your cannabis, I apologize to anyone that did include this most important step in edible cannabis.  

If you don't know what decarb is - go school yourself before you try to explain how to consume/eat cannabis or any infused oil/butter or whatever.  You are clueless.

Thanks for the information.

It's always good to learn something new (to me).

But are there better ways to address people who may have less knowledge than yourself?

Well, I schooled myself and found:

• Yes, as you indicate "Decarboxylation is a process that activates the psychoactive compounds in the cannabis plant (good feedback).
  • Decarboxylation can occur over time when drying and curing cannabis, after harvesting a home grown.
  • Oxygen can contribute to the decarboxylation process.
  • Buds are typically heated in an oven first to decarboxylate them, and then infused into a medium such as butter or oil.
  • But caution, heating cannabis above 300ºF burns off valuable cannabinoids and terpenes.

Basically earlier experiences were probably due to the stash naturally decarboxylating during the drying/curing process, but your advice to carboxylate should yield a better experience.

Thanks.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

I make my own cannabis oil using cannabis flower that has 25%+ THC and then I infuse it into MCT oil. I use about 35 grams of dried cannabis flower together with a 210ml bottle of MCT oil that I purchase online. 

I first decarb the cannabis by putting it in a mason jar and I create a double boiler setup by placing the mason jar containing the cannabis into a cooking pot together with boiling water.

I decarb first for an hour at a temperature of around 220°F. Then I add the MCT oil into the mason jar with the decarbed cannabis flower and boil it in the double boiler setup again at around 180°F for another 5 hours for the infusion process.

Then I strain it all out to separate the infused oil from the cannabis flower using a fine metal tea strainer and then strain it a second time using a coffee press. Then I discard the used cannabis after straining and I keep only the oil. 

Normally around 35% of the oil gets permanently absorbed by the cannabis, can't be strained out, and is lost in the process. So I usually get about 140ml of infused cannabis oil from 210ml of oil. 

If you use less cannabis then there will be a lower percentage of loss of oil (perhaps half the amount of cannabis that I use would be adequate), but I use a high cannabis to oil ratio to ensure a highly concentrated cannabis oil is reached. Then I split the strained out oil into 10ml (medical grade) glass dropper bottles for easy consumption and storage in the fridge. 

I don't further cook the finished cannabis oil into any food or make any kind of edibles with it. I just eat/swallow the infused oil the way that it is by putting it onto a spoon and then put it into my mouth and swallow it. I sometimes flavor it first by mixing in some concentrated vanilla and banana flavor extracts or I just consume it plain. Sometimes I also drip it on top of a piece of chocolate first and then eat it.

More info about the basic steps I follow here:

https://emilykylenutrition.com/cannabis-infused-mct-oil 

7 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

Having said that, eating cannabis with food will delay the onset of your experience.

not really true anymore. check out nano emulsified edibles. 

7 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

To begin with, if your smoking you won't be using a filter.

not true anymore either.

I have tried various edibles . cookies, candy, brownies ,from light to the most potent stuff, never felt anything. On the other hand, smoke half a joint and I am high after a minute or two, but gets me coughing. So would prefer something that I don't have to smoke .

are oils better than the baked stuff. I have never tried oil.

• Agree 1

Here is my experience with dosing of my cannabis oil:

5 Drops (1/8 ML) - Very little to no psychoactive/high feeling. But still a bit of relaxation, often useful to help with sleep. 

10 Drops (1/4 ML) - A decent level of relaxation and feeling high that sets in after about an hour and runs for another 3-4 hours. 

20 Drops (1/2 ML) - A powerful and intense high that lasts 4-5 hours, starting an hour after ingesting it. 

I have never taken more than 1/2 ML of my oil at once. It seems quite strong and concentrated and it could be too much for me. I have a decent tolerance, but perhaps people with a higher tolerance would be comfortable to take more of the oil than I.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:10 AM, Jingthing said:

Eating it must be processed through the liver so the effects last a very long time.

Under the tongue is more immediate and lasts shorter similar to smoking or dry herb vaping. 

Used the local official clinic THC oil. Helped me sleep better, but never got any buzz, even with 10 drops.

Tried home made oil - 2 drops. Got great buzz. Deeper and longer than smoking. But it took 2-3 hours to start getting the effect (which also lasted longer than smoking or vaping) depending on how long after dinner I took the drops.

With both oils I putu nderthe my tongue.

the reason I prefer vaping or even smoking is that you can adjust the dosage of need to because the effect is within minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

not really true anymore. check out nano emulsified edibles. 

not true anymore either.

I wonder how much research has been done as to whether Nano emulsifiers also allow other dietary molecular compounds across the gut barrier and into the blood stream. Compounds that shouldn't be there.

I have no trust in the Food Industry, Pharmaceutical Companies and others who have been polluting our food with all kinds of unnatural compounds and chemicals.

I'd rather consume on an empty stomach.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

Then I strain it all out to separate the infused oil from the cannabis flower using a fine metal tea strainer and then strain it a second time using a coffee press. Then I discard the used cannabis after straining and I keep only the oil. 

Just curious.

Why is the cannabis strained out of the oil?

Is it possible that the strain may carry thc and therefore add to the experience?

1 hour ago, rockyysdt said:

I wonder how much research has been done as to whether Nano emulsifiers also allow other dietary molecular compounds across the gut barrier and into the blood stream. Compounds that shouldn't be there.

I have no trust in the Food Industry, Pharmaceutical Companies and others who have been polluting our food with all kinds of unnatural compounds and chemicals.

I'd rather consume on an empty stomach.

If you nano emulsifier diamonds there would be no issue

1 hour ago, rockyysdt said:

Just curious.

Why is the cannabis strained out of the oil?

Is it possible that the strain may carry thc and therefore add to the experience?

I guess you could not strain the oil and then consume the cannabis together with the oil if you wanted to. It’s been fully cooked, so it shouldn’t cause any serious indigestion. Never thought of it or heard of it being done though. And correctly dosing the oil might be a lot trickier if it still contained the cannabis. 

I guess the assumption is that the material isn’t of much use anymore after doing a 4-5 hour infusion with it. Some of it also gets a bit burnt, plus it is a bit hard from cooking for so long, so it really won’t taste great. 

I once also read about someone doing something else with it after straining it, but I can’t remember exactly what that was. You don’t want to smoke it or vape it though because you wouldn’t want the oil going into your lungs. 

But it does still contain some THC because not all of the THC gets fully extracted during the infusion process. But I don’t know how much THC is actually left. It probably depends on how potent the cannabis was to start with. 

I also read that there is a saturation limit in terms of how much of the THC that the oil can actually absorb. I think it’s like 15 grams of cannabis (assuming it contains 25% THC) is the absorption limit to 1/4 liter (250ML) of oil. But I take the sledgehammer approach when I make an oil infusion and use a lot more cannabis than what is generally recommended. I don’t mind if I waste some. I rather be sure I end up with a potent finished result. But since I use a lot more than the recommended amount of cannabis for my infusions, there is a good possibility that there is still a fair amount of THC left in my cannabis after infusing and straining. But I just dump it anyway since I don’t know what else to do with it. 

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Used the local official clinic THC oil. Helped me sleep better, but never got any buzz, even with 10 drops.

Tried home made oil - 2 drops. Got great buzz. Deeper and longer than smoking. But it took 2-3 hours to start getting the effect (which also lasted longer than smoking or vaping) depending on how long after dinner I took the drops.

With both oils I putu nderthe my tongue.

the reason I prefer vaping or even smoking is that you can adjust the dosage of need to because the effect is within minutes.

Take before you eat, takes longer with a full stomach.

On 9/7/2024 at 4:40 PM, HugoFastor said:

I’ve never really seen a discussion about the effects of smoking or vaping cannabis versus consuming a full spectrum cannabis infused oil, so I thought I would offer some of my own personal experience. 

Many people have said to me that the psychoactive effects of the two feel very different. In my opinion, having experimented a lot with both, I feel that the psychoactive effects of both are really about the same, however, there is a difference in terms of onset, duration, intensity, and the initial physical reactions. 

First, when you inhale any form of cannabis, you’re going to feel the full effect of it within about 10-15 minutes. Edible cannabis oil and you are looking at about one hour before you feel the onset of the effects and about one and a half hours until you’re feeling the full effect of the dose you’ve taken. 

Then the duration. The psychoactive effects of smoking or vaping cannabis normally lasts for about 2 to 3 hours in the system. Ingesting any form of cannabis oil normally last a bit longer, or at least about 3 to 4 hours (after the one hour onset activation time has passed). 

The two biggest differences to me are the strength and intensity and the initial feeling. With an oil, you are normally going to feel the effects much stronger once it reaches peak level in the body because it’s a concentrated form of THC. You can achieve the same level of THC concentration from vaping or smoking, but, unless you’re smoking a lot of it all at once, then you are probably not going to feel it as intensely as you will from a concentrated form of THC, something like an edible cannabis oil. 

To me, the initial onset of the psychoactive feeling is probably the most important difference. With an oil, the THC works itself through your bloodstream and into your brain more slowly than if you inhale it. The benefit of this is that you often don’t get that initial rush of increased heart rate or that hot/flush feeling that you sometimes do when smoking or vaping, which I believe occurs when the brain is feeling the full effect of the THC so quickly. I see this slower onset of the THC effects as a huge benefit because the onset of the psychoactive feeling from the oil comes on in a more relaxed way, which I find is much more pleasurable for someone who wants to use it as a method for relaxation or as a sleep aid. If you just want to get high quickly, and are not concerned about any initial physical reactions, then smoking or vaping it is better. But used purely for relaxation, I think oil is the best way to go. 

For example, I often vape a bit of it before I get into bed, but it’s hard to fall asleep right away afterwards because the initial burst of the THC from inhaling it usually raises my heart rate for the first 20-25 minutes. With the oil, I swallow some of it, get into bed and, as the oil starts taking affect, I start to feel more relaxed from the THC and then doze off without any feelings of anxiety from any form of increased body temperature or heart rate. 

Overall, I would say I do enjoy vaping for the immediacy of the effects when I want to get high quickly however, I do prefer the more relaxed feeling from the slow creep of the onset of effects when swallowing some oil.

Oil is also more portable and easier to consume on a regular basis as it requires no burning or extra equipment to be able to consume it. Just carry it in a small glass dropper bottle and you can take a few drops of it anytime or anywhere with complete discretion, no smoke and without causing any disturbance to others. I usually just squeeze out a few drops from the glass dropper onto a square of my favorite chocolate, then eat it and done. 

I can only speak about weed because I have no experience with oil. What I'd like to add to what you've pointed out already is that smoking gives me more of a head high, while edibles are more of a body high.  The difference isn't massive, but it's noticeable. What I've also noticed is that with edibles, if it gets a bit too much, I can just stand up walk to the fridge, get something to drink, get back to the couch and by the time I'm sitting down, it's all good again. It's more controllable in a way . That's doesn't work when I smoke it. I have to say, though, that my cookies are fairly low dosed. I use 7 grams of weed and that gives me about 90 cookies. Initially I have to eat 3 of those to get the same high when it switch from smoking to edibles, but over time I'm able to get the dosage down to just one cookie to get that high because at the end of the day it's all a matter of getting the THC level in your body down and then a small amount will do the trick just fine. Similarly to when you first started out and three puffs were all you needed. 

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

I can only speak about weed because I have no experience with oil. What I'd like to add to what you've pointed out already is that smoking gives me more of a head high, while edibles are more of a body high.  The difference isn't massive, but it's noticeable. What I've also noticed is that with edibles, if it gets a bit too much, I can just stand up walk to the fridge, get something to drink, get back to the couch and by the time I'm sitting down, it's all good again. It's more controllable in a way . That's doesn't work when I smoke it. I have to say, though, that my cookies are fairly low dosed. I use 7 grams of weed and that gives me about 90 cookies. Initially I have to eat 3 of those to get the same high when it switch from smoking to edibles, but over time I'm able to get the dosage down to just one cookie to get that high because at the end of the day it's all a matter of getting the THC level in your body down and then a small amount will do the trick just fine. Similarly to when you first started out and three puffs were all you needed. 

This edible cannabis oil that we are discussing here is basically just another form of a cannabis edible in my opinion. I guess the main difference between the cannabis oil I make and the cookies you are making is that perhaps the absorption of the THC from the cookies takes a bit longer to take effect than the oil. Once the oil gets quickly digested and absorbed, it goes in and out of the bloodstream relatively quick too, in say 4-5 hours, as compared to some of these homemade edible cookies, brownies or gummies, where people have put in a very high dose of concentrated THC and then the high can last as long as 10-12 hours. I think being high for that long would be a bit overwhelming for me.

Why not try making your own oil instead of the cookies though? Then you can experiment with how many drops you need to achieve the desired effect and eventually arrive at the perfect dose for yourself without overdoing it.

I've found with the edible oil though, and with vaping regular cannabis flower, that if I get up, move around and then eat something, that it reduces the high if I'm feeling it coming on too strong. 

Sometimes when I mention cannabis oil though people assume that it's something to be vaped or used in a dab. Even the manufacture of the vaporizer that I use offers a separate capsule that you can insert into the vaporizer to use to vape cannabis oil. But that's a totally different type of cannabis oil. That's not a cannabis oil infusion made by boiling it up along with a form of edible oil. That's an actual real cannabis oil extracted from the cannabis plant that contains concentrated levels of THC, CBD and terpenes. But that's also something that is not edible at all, nor can you easily make it at home yourself. And I think it's risky to buy that stuff in general because it's hard to know if you're getting the real natural stuff extracted from the plant, which is relatively safe to vape, or if you are getting something mixed with unhealthy oils and chemicals. So I basically stay away from any form of cannabis oil that can be heated up and inhaled and I stick to only the edible cannabis oil that I make myself. 

Edited by HugoFastor

52 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

This edible cannabis oil that we are discussing here is basically just another form of a cannabis edible in my opinion. I guess the main difference between the cannabis oil I make and the cookies you are making is that perhaps the absorption of the THC from the cookies takes a bit longer to take effect than the oil. Once the oil gets quickly digested and absorbed, it goes in and out of the bloodstream relatively quick too, in say 4-5 hours, as compared to some of these homemade edible cookies, brownies or gummies, where people have put in a very high dose of concentrated THC and then the high can last as long as 10-12 hours. I think being high for that long would be a bit overwhelming for me.

Why not try making your own oil instead of the cookies though? Then you can experiment with how many drops you need to achieve the desired effect and eventually arrive at the perfect dose for yourself without overdoing it.

I've found with the edible oil though, and with vaping regular cannabis flower, that if I get up, move around and then eat something, that it reduces the high if I'm feeling it coming on too strong. 

Sometimes when I mention cannabis oil though people assume that it's something to be vaped or used in a dab. Even the manufacture of the vaporizer that I use offers a separate capsule that you can insert into the vaporizer to use to vape cannabis oil. But that's a totally different type of cannabis oil. That's not a cannabis oil infusion made by boiling it up along with a form of edible oil. That's an actual real cannabis oil extracted from the cannabis plant that contains concentrated levels of THC, CBD and terpenes. But that's also something that is not edible at all, nor can you easily make it at home yourself. And I think it's risky to buy that stuff in general because it's hard to know if you're getting the real natural stuff extracted from the plant, which is relatively safe to vape, or if you are getting something mixed with unhealthy oils and chemicals. So I basically stay away from any form of cannabis oil that can be heated up and inhaled and I stick to only the edible cannabis oil that I make myself. 

Well, from my experience the onset for the cookies is about 45 minutes on an empty stomach. Just like with the oil according to your original post and it works for about 4 to 5 hours. The reason why the high dosage cookies work longer, but that applies to any type of high THC product, is because your body can only get rid of so many nanograms per hour. In my case it's about 9. I never really looked into making oil. I've seen a video once on youtube many moons ago where someone made butane lighter gas cannabis oil. But he used copious amounts of weed to produce the oil, which was very little in volume in comparison to the weed. He used what would last me a year to make oil that looked like it would last me maybe 3 months or so. Come to think of it, he put it in a pan after extraction and slowly boiled it until it became very viscous. So technically speaking it wasn't probably oil anymore, but resin. I just think that the cookies will last me longer and cost me less money than making the oil. I could be wrong, though. 

10 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, from my experience the onset for the cookies is about 45 minutes on an empty stomach. Just like with the oil according to your original post and it works for about 4 to 5 hours. The reason why the high dosage cookies work longer, but that applies to any type of high THC product, is because your body can only get rid of so many nanograms per hour. In my case it's about 9. I never really looked into making oil. I've seen a video once on youtube many moons ago where someone made butane lighter gas cannabis oil. But he used copious amounts of weed to produce the oil, which was very little in volume in comparison to the weed. He used what would last me a year to make oil that looked like it would last me maybe 3 months or so. Come to think of it, he put it in a pan after extraction and slowly boiled it until it became very viscous. So technically speaking it wasn't probably oil anymore, but resin. I just think that the cookies will last me longer and cost me less money than making the oil. I could be wrong, though. 

With my edible infused cannabis MCT oil that I make, I assume that I could get the effect to last longer and it would only require a higher dose. But I don't really want it to last more than 4-5 hours anyway, which is what I normally get with the dose that I take and it sounds equal to the effective time of your cookies that you make. 

When I suggested making your own oil, I was only suggesting making the edible cannabis oil that we have been discussing here, not the type of cannabis oil used for vaping. It seems like it would be an easier process than making cookies. And once you have this edible cannabis oil, it can last a year in the fridge, or maybe longer, and it becomes a very small and portable item. And one batch of it can last me many months, but I usually give away some of it to friends too. 

The main reason I mentioned the other type of cannabis oil though, the non-edible type, is because sometimes people get confused when I say cannabis oil, and they don't know if I'm referring to the edible type or not. But I realize you know the difference. I was just adding a bit of extra unrelated information there in my previous post. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, HugoFastor said:

With my edible infused cannabis MCT oil that I make, I assume that I could get the effect to last longer and it would only require a higher dose. But I don't really want it to last more than 4-5 hours anyway, which is what I normally get with the dose that I take and it sounds equal to the effective time of your cookies that you make. 

When I suggested making your own oil, I was only suggesting making the edible cannabis oil that we have been discussing here, not the type of cannabis oil used for vaping. It seems like it would be an easier process than making cookies. And once you have this edible cannabis oil, it can last a year in the fridge, or maybe longer, and it becomes a very small and portable item. And one batch of it can last me many months, but I usually give away some of it to friends too. 

The main reason I mentioned the other type of cannabis oil though, the non-edible type, is because sometimes people get confused when I say cannabis oil, and they don't know if I'm referring to the edible type or not. But I realize you know the difference. I was just adding a bit of extra unrelated information there in my previous post. 

So, how do you make that oil and how much weed do you need for it and how many drops do you take?