Pickup Spins Out of Control After Being Honked at by Motorcycle, Crashes in Drainage Ditch

Georgealbert

17 minutes ago, LennyW said:

It is not a good junction, many people dont realise that vehichles travelling along Tungklom Talman have right of way when turning right there, the road approaching from the left has a solid white line meaning vehicles (ie: the motorcycle) should stop there.

Against the Thai highway code. Many junctions are similarly marked. No consistency or adherence to regulations.

Turning to the right, should give way to the left. Turning left, give way to the right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phantom57 said:

My thoughts, the car was approaching a T intersection ( 3 way intersection) along the vertical part of the “T” wanting to turn right. The bike was travelling straight through the T from left to right. He beeped the car to tell the car to hold to avoid a collision. After the bike had passed,  the angry car driver then turned right to chase down the bike and overtake him and spun off. 

Very plausible... 

Or he just hit the T-Junction too quickly, attempted to turn right and spun into the ditch.

There was no other motorcyclist and that was just a fabrication to save face... 

Hey LennyW,  it all makes sense now. The bike thought he had right of way because of him going straight ahead. Little do Thai folks realise that the very small funny shaped red sign with English word of STOP means anything ( due to the solid white line across his side). 
I see same situation many times in Thailand.  Driver thinking he had right of way and legally had, was pissed that he was honked for no reason and then once hormones, rage ,whatever took over, the end result was a certainty.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Against the Thai highway code. Many junctions are similarly marked. No consistency or adherence to regulations.

Turning to the right, should give way to the left. Turning left, give way to the right. 

But this one is not really a T junction as such, Tungklom Talman road goes all the way from Sukhumvit to Huay Yai road, Just because the road has a 90 degree right turn some people mistake it as a junction, the small road joining from the left has a clear solid white line to stop at, but because it joins Tungklom Talman road at the 90 Deg bend many people mistakenly believe it is a T junction. It has been like that for years and there has been many accidents there.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Phantom57 said:

Hey LennyW,  it all makes sense now. The bike thought he had right of way because of him going straight ahead. Little do Thai folks realise that the very small funny shaped red sign with English word of STOP means anything ( due to the solid white line across his side). 
I see same situation many times in Thailand.  Driver thinking he had right of way and legally had, was pissed that he was honked for no reason and then once hormones, rage ,whatever took over, the end result was a certainty.

Exactly, if the motorbike had hit the pick-up the motorbike would have been wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not sure how when the motorcycle is coming straight at you that you accelerate to overtake the same motorcycle. The explanation makes no sense but thats kinda typical here. Any excuse to shift the blame somewhere else is better than none. I like that the police threw in the bit about him having to pay for damage to govt property. 

In this case. less detail would have been better, as less confusing. 

• Confused 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:05 AM, jacko45k said:

So when a vehicle is coming straight for you, you accelerate????

I've noticed when Thai's see a dangerous issue unfolding in front of them, that they accelerate in the hopes that their Amulets will save them. Like I tell my wife, the worst thing you can do when a dangerous issue arises while driving, is to add speed to the equation.

• Agree 1