Frenchman arrested in Krabi for eight-year visa overstay

snoop1130

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:
1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

What's the set age for law breakers to retire and become harmless?

I met a guy once who committed his 4th murder in his 70s.

There's always one.......

Comparing a 4 time murderer to an overstayer is comparing apples to oranges.

You know the Frenchman's background and history, do you?  Please enlighten us and put us right.

I travel A LOT, in and out through land borders with Laos. Leaving Nong Khai and re-entering at Pudu (Uttaradit) takes me 3 ½ to 4 hours for the +/- 240 kms. Irrespective of border point, the Thai immigration is online and realtime and updated. 

Hence running a scan through their database popping out all those who have overstayed their visa is no rocket science. Everything else is ....... Thai style - me thinks 😉 

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

You know the Frenchman's background and history, do you?  Please enlighten us and put us right.

Are you directing that question at the guy who decided he was harmless or at me who took issue with his assessment without knowledge of his background?

35 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Now his problems really start. He'll be stuck in a local prison for goodness knows how long and then he'll be transferred to the Hell Hole of the Immigration Detention Centre. He'll stay there in awful conditions until someone sends him the airfare to leave Thailand. Until then he'll be stuck there for the rest of his life if he can't come up with the money.

...all brought on by himself.

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, they cannot, agents charge!   That service is of no use to those who are skint and don't have money to pay the agent.  And once they have  any kind of overstay the cost goes up.

I think he means some agents can arrange retirement visas with you needing to tie 800k up in a bank account. You'd need to be an idiot to think an agent would work for free...

Edited by sabai-dee-man

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you directing that question at the guy who decided he was harmless or at me

PJ71.   

2 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, they cannot, agents charge!   That service is of no use to those who are skint and don't have money to pay the agent.  And once they have  any kind of overstay the cost goes up.

I think he means some agents can arrange retirement visas with you needing to tie 800k up in a bank account. You'd need to be an idiot to think an agent would work for free...

He's the one who posted that it he could have got a retirement extension with no money requirements, not me.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for people overstaying. There is always a way in Thailand. Been here for 15 years with annual visa at immigration, agents, time and cost involved. Hope they can find more as it punishes all the right doers. Social system in France will be happy to have a new chap on their list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

My Bosnian girlfriend saw it somewhat differently. But I guess you just forgot to mention them.

Wow.... clueless. You must have been one of the first ones who screamed "drop the bombs"

It is quite sad that you are dating someone from Bosnia and you have no clue whatsoever what that means.

Or you are lying.

Now, quick google the reply!

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Wow.... clueless. You must have been one of the first ones who screamed "drop the bombs"

It is quite sad that you are dating someone from Bosnia and you have no clue whatsoever what that means.

Or you are lying.

Now, quick google the reply!

I don't understand any of the nonsense you have just written. She actually saw people killed by Serbian bombs in front of her eyes. How about you?

12 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Are you directing that question at the guy who decided he was harmless or at me who took issue with his assessment without knowledge of his background?

Directed at the guy who stated "Good job, now bye,bye" as if he had never hit on hard times. If from Liverpool, I very much doubt he is with-out sin.

Just now, NowNow said:

I don't understand any of the nonsense you have just written. She actually saw people killed by Serbian bombs in front of her eyes. How about you?

I can guarantee that she laughs at you behind your back for not having a clue what Bosnian is.

Hint. My mom is a Croat from Bosnia and I have no affiliation to anyone who proclaimed to be a Serb, Muslim or Croat (HINT) once the war started. I was always Yugoslavian and I am to this day. I haven't been back to my country in 32 years because it does not exist anymore. When I go to Canada, I am Canadian... not a Muslim or a Serb or Yugoslav.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Illegal immigrants in America have taken the jobs that used to be worked by teenagers, elderly forced out of retirement, the working poor and various troubled people with family problems, mental disorders, drug addictions etc... because they work harder for less.

So you're basically dunking on the least fortunate people in society and kids trying to making a few bucks going through school. Are you proud of yourself?

Like the French man then?

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean "legal and illegal labour"?

Nope.  Describing a worker as illegal, is not correct.  There is no such thing as an ‘illegal’ person.  People commit illegal acts,  or the right to  engage in an activity may not be permitted, but in law a person cannot be  'illegal". Objects can be illegal.

A person legally authorized to be in a country can undertake illlegal activity. For example,  in Thailand it is illegal for foreign tourists to sell opium for fun. It is also illegal for foreign tourists to work as a hairdresser. The tourists are legally in Thailand but are engaged in an illegal activity.

An undocumented person is a person who is not legally authorized to be in the country. If that person works, the  work in some states can be considered illegal. If the  state does not have a law excluding the work, the work may not be not be illegal. The person would not qualify for Federal law benefits.

An Undocumented person does not give up protections afforded by state or federal law. For example, it is illegal to  murder or to physically assault undocumented people. An "illegal" object does not enjoy those legal rights. For example, a person who had an illegal weapon could not claim compensation if the  weapon was destroyed in a criminal act or if confiscated by a legal authority.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I can guarantee that she laughs at you behind your back for not having a clue what Bosnian is.

Hint. My mom is a Croat from Bosnia and I have no affiliation to anyone who proclaimed to be a Serb, Muslim or Croat (HINT) once the war started. I was always Yugoslavian and I am to this day. I haven't been back to my country in 32 years because it does not exist anymore. When I go to Canada, I am Canadian... not a Muslim or a Serb or Yugoslav.

I can guarantee that she does not and that you are just writing foolishly. She is a Bosnian Muslim(Though not practising) and her sister still works for the Refugee Council in the U.K.

I guess you weren't expecting there to be someone here with intimate knowledge of the conflict. Probably best you just zip it if you don't want to discuss it in detail.

11 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Serbs who were formerly their neighbours turned against them. There's more to it than your cries of victimhood.

2 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean "legal and illegal labour"?

Nope.  Describing a worker as illegal, is not correct.  There is no such thing as an ‘illegal’ person.  People commit illegal acts

"People commit illegal acts"

Such as illegal entry.   You also used the phrase "legal worker", surely then, there can be no such thing as a "legal" worker as people commit legal acts?

4 minutes ago, proton said:

If he cant pay his fare home will the embassy help him out, or will he be in the IDC for years? Serve him right if he is.

Embassies used to help out years ago, but not no more, He stays in the IDC until someone can pay his air fare, so they can be in there for years, I did know a guy who was locked up in there and he told me people have been there years, I think they get paid 200 baht per day,