Switching from marriage visa to visa exempt t

I've had marriage visas for many years but since they've taken away the multiple entry option I've decided to enter on 60d tourist visa exempt. Has anyone experienced any issues by doing so? 

Edited by RotBenz8888

You can enter Thailand on  visa exempt provided you don't have a valid visa or reentry permit.

Multi entry non O based on marriage is still available at places such as Savannakhet.

You now require 400k seasoned for 2 months.

What is the ongoing plan? 

You can enter visa exempt and obtain a non O at local immigration office and subsequent 12 month extension. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You can enter Thailand on  visa exempt provided you don't have a valid visa or reentry permit.

Multi entry non O based on marriage is still available at places such as Savannakhet.

You now required 400k seasoned for 2 months.

What is the ongoing plan? 

You can enter visa exempt and obtain a non O at local immigration office and subsequent 12 month extension. 

Thank You. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I've had marriage visas for many years but since they've taken away the multiple entry option I've decided to enter on 60d tourist visa exempt.

The ME Non O visa is still available from Savannahket, but you now require 400K in a Thai bank account.

The single entry Non Imm O is still available with no financial requirement and the 90 day entry can be extended for a further 60 days = 150 days - repeat.

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Has anyone experienced any issues by doing so? 

Again, you can extend that 60 day entry for a further 30 days + a further 60 days based on Thai spouse.

At some point, I fear you will be questioned and/or even refused entry using 60 day VE entries and told to get the correct visa type for staying long term in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

The ME Non O visa is still available from Savannahket, but you now require 400K in a Thai bank account.

The single entry Non Imm O is still available with no financial requirement and the 90 day entry can be extended for a further 60 days = 150 days - repeat.

Again, you can extend that 60 day entry for a further 30 days + a further 60 days based on Thai spouse.

At some point, I fear you will be questioned and/or even refused entry using 60 day VE entries and told to get the correct visa type for staying long term in Thailand.

Do you know anybody who's actually been refused entry in this case? 

36 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Are you asking about ongoing back to back visa exempt entries? 

If yes then asking about VE (60) + 30 day extension + 60 extension (to visit wife) ...

Wash and repeat. Not a good plan 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

As the 60 day VE entries only commenced from 15th July + 30 day extension, it will be sometime next year (3rd or 4th back to back entries) before we get a clearer picture.
Legally married to a Thai you can get an additional 60-day extension.
Once Immigration conclude, you're attempting to stay in Thailand throughout the year using VE entries, then they'll start refusing entries.

I'm in total agreement with the opinion of @DrJack54 that 'unlimited' does not mean 'back to back' entries and not a good long term plan.

The Non Imm O ME is still available from Savannahket, but requires 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months.

The single entry Non Imm O is available without any proof of finances.
Entry grants a stay of 90 days + 60 day extension = 150 days.

The MFA announced that they hope to have all Thai Embassies using the e-visa application system from Dec 2024.

When/if that happens, then proof of financials will be required even for the single entry Non O from Savannahket.

If you don't have 400K to deposit in a Thai bank, or proof of 40K per month overseas transfers, then obtaining a 1-year extension of stay based on retirement (subject to being 50 years old) through an agent may be your only long term option. Whilst you still have permission of stay from a Non Imm O visa, you should consider that as a further option.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder why a non O multi entry help. I made my first apply for a non O married in 2019 and after extensions. After the first apply I have to go for a re-entry every year. My original first non-O is a multi entry and after my permit based on married the multi was not valid anymore?

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Yes - two reported here recently.

One was refused and returned from a Bangkok airport to where he started.  He then flew to CM and got in OK (no "agent entry" program there to incentivize denied-entries):

Another was almost refused, but managed to get his GF to talk to the IO, who then grudgingly let him in.  If she hadn't been available to talk right then, he would have been gone:

if you use known safe entry points - no problem.  Otherwise, be sure to pay whatever agent-service the entry point is using.  One here for Bangkok airports:

... so just add that figure to your budget, if you need to fly in to Bangkok.  May be easier to just deal with annual extensions.