Shipping an E bike from UK to Thailand.

4 hours ago, Furioso said:

My neighbor left his e-bike in Germany then came over here and decided he wanted an e-bike here. He went to Cadence in Jomtien and bought a very nice Trek e-bike(Rail 9.9?) for 200,000 baht. It was slightly used but you can't tell as it looks brand new. 

I believe it sells for over 400,000 baht new so he got a great deal. 

I was not a believer in e-bikes until he let me ride it and My God! it's by far the best bike I ever rode. He has all sorts of toys so he never rides it just sits in the parking lot near his high end scooters..it drives me mad!

Is it for sale?

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Battery specs wouldn't be the problem, but the connection definitely will be, if this is their standard battery.  Very proprietary connection.   

I had not problem swapping to XT60 connections to the controller, on my DIY ebike, from a generic battery I bought.  This would be a challenge ...

image.png.4887d0c26abc0d0b3c4384df08073ac4.png

As I've said, if you have one of the major brands you will definitely be able to find the right battery for it. 

40 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

As I've said, if you have one of the major brands you will definitely be able to find the right battery for it. 

Good luck with that, especially if a few years old, as they discontinue, change and upgrade things for a reason, to keep you buying new.  Been there, done that, and don't buy proprietary things for a reason any more.  

When I do buy something, I buy extra batteries, from the maker, just for that reason.  Had to retire too many electronics in the past, because of batteries unavailable.

And buying clone batteries can be a challenge to find, and quality substandard.  

Why I suggested earlier, if he keeps and ships it over, get another battery while at it, as you won't find it in Thailand when needed.  If the maker discontinued the line, then sell it, and buy all new here/TH.

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why in the world would you ship an e-bike. That´s just pure madness.

China bans electric vehicles from underground carparks

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/on-the-road/china-bans-electric-vehicles-from-underground-carparks/news-story/b7c07b8e942cb3076b704029e327d6cf

4 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

My neighbor left his e-bike in Germany then came over here and decided he wanted an e-bike here. He went to Cadence in Jomtien and bought a very nice Trek e-bike(Rail 9.9?) for 200,000 baht. It was slightly used but you can't tell as it looks brand new. 

I believe it sells for over 400,000 baht new so he got a great deal. 

I was not a believer in e-bikes until he let me ride it and My God! it's by far the best bike I ever rode. He has all sorts of toys so he never rides it just sits in the parking lot near his high end scooters..it drives me mad!

Asquith Production wrote: Is it for sale?

Unfortunately not, it's just going to sit outside and become weathered by the sun. It's either the Rail 9.8 or 9.9, probably the 9.8 which costs €8,200 brand new. The 9.9 cost €10,100 brand new. He paid approx €5,400 for his slightly used Trek Rail. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why in the world would you ship an e-bike. That´s just pure madness.

You obviously have no knowledge how some of these lithium ion batteries are put together. You can have have good cells but how they put them together is sometimes criminal. If you want to educate yourself re lithium  ion batteries have a look at William Prowse YT channel

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

You obviously have no knowledge how some of these lithium ion batteries are put together. You can have have good cells but how they put them together is sometimes criminal. If you want to educate yourself re lithium  ion batteries have a look at William Prowse YT channel

Ok, not going for any education. However, you can ship the bike in shared container. Almost any shipping company can help you with that. When I ship things, I have always use V-Serve in Bangkok. They have great service.

• Thumbs Up 1