Liquid limits at airport security...

SunsetT

53 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

What and you save 7 baht?

We're talking Airport prices, so nearer 107 or even 207 THB saving!

I know in UK / European Airports it's mandatory to have a water fountain, maybe it's International. Trick the Airport Authorities use is to hide it so you can't find it.

On the other hand, I know the Aussie Authorities are strict on what comes into their country, and quite rightly so. However was on a flight in March from Swampy to Sydney, at the gate they made everyone discard any Water they had, unopened bottles and contents of personal water bottles. Totally get it when disembarking in Sydney in that no foreign liquids, but being forced to drink airline decantered water, no thanks. Made a point of asking for the small bottles or watch them pour it from a large plastic bottle. That sort of action should be made clear at time of ticket purchase, or being  informed at check-in. Must of been over a 100 bottles, which at 120 Baht each all thrown down the drain.

57 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

True, but have you ever tried setting fire to water?

Technically possible, break down the chemical elements of Hydrogen and Oxygen and ignite the Hydrogen in an Oxygen rich environment.

Trick would be to get the weight of the apparatus required within your Hand Lugage limit.

• Haha 2

I think the standard travelling rules still apply then:

1: Only <100ml in your hand-carry luggage.

2: *Take out liquids (if asked to do so)

3: *Take Electronics LapTops / iPads etc (if asked to do so)

*Many aiports no longer ask for the 'show electronics & Liquids' though other may still ask..

The last airport I travelled from (Turkey and also the UK) after check-in and going through security neither security checkpoints (before immigration) required us to remove anything from our carry on (liquids, iPads, LapTops etc) remained our bag... 

(but we still had to remove watches, belts etc)

The 100ml liquid container size was implemented several years ago when a group of muslim terrorists located in I think London booked airtickets on five seperate flights to the USA.

Their strategy was to  get drink containers and they drilled a hole in the bottom of the container  so as not to tamper with the seal at neck of bottle  which they were then going to refill with an explosive mix. They were at a very advanced stage in their planning and this was only thwarted at a very late stage. They would obviously carry the other required items like power source and timers seperate from the drink container and assemble at a later stage.

They exploded one of the drink bottles in an airframe and the damage was extensive. This was the reason behind the 100ml container size.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I would have to question why you did that? Is it unavailable in Phuket?

It was the other way around, I was afraid to take it with me for a 10day visa run to Phnom Penh, so i bought 250ml there and took the remainder back as I was not risking anything. Before the flight back I found this section of rules for liquids on AirAsia 's website.

Old EU rules;

"The U.K. announced in 2022 that by August 2024, all U.K. airports would be using 3D scanners allowing security to check the contents of all carry-on bags without the need to limit the amount of liquids taken onboard a plane (this would now be up to 2 litres), nor the need to take containers out of luggage and pass them separately through security."

As soon as airports switched to that, and spent millions of $ for scanners, they came with a new one;

"Jun 17, 2024Passengers are now limited to taking a maximum of one litre of liquids through security in containers no larger than 100 ml each."
- some airlines/airport allow 2 liters in 100ml containers

Last time I was in the UK, which was recently, we didn't take out laptops or anything and that included all liquids.

This was at Manchester.

I have since read that they are having problems with the scanning equipment and these pain in the ass 100ml restrictions have been reintroduced.

Edited by Scouse123

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I also read somewhere that it's a software issue that's been sorted already but will need x amount of months of testing before they try and rescind the rules again.

Indeed. Not going to rush into it again, may well try and get a lot more airports fitted out before flicking the switch.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Nothing is free in the lounges.  It's included in the price you've paid to get into the lounges.

At BKK it's free next to Pattaya bus ticket sales.

Upper level, past passport check, it's free next to toilets. Kind of hidden. Ask cleaning ladies, they know.

I always bring empty bottle and fill up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

At BKK it's free next to Pattaya bus ticket sales.

Upper level, past passport check, it's free next to toilets. Kind of hidden. Ask cleaning ladies, they know.

I always bring empty bottle and fill up there.

Good info.  Thx for that.

I always find free filtered water dispensers in BKK (in fact, in every airport I've transited in Asia).  I buy a 10 baht water upstream of security and either guzzle it down or pour it out to get through security.  The dispensers are kind of hidden as you say, but generally near just about every rest room, with signs pointing to them.   Some have old timey drinking fountains, but most just have a dispenser to fill a container.  BYO empty.  And I'm not a big fan of old timey drinking fountains since the pandemic...  One of the things I like about Swampy, and Asian airports in general.  Free water.  Last time I flew out of the USA, I paid $4 for a water.

Edited by impulse

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite correct - there are credit cards which give free lounge access.

Nothing is free.  It's included.  Those credit cards charge fees.  If they didn't, they couldn't pay the airlines to offer benefits.  Last time I checked, the airlines make more money selling points than they do selling tickets and flying people around.

I'm making a pedantic argument, for sure.  But for the majority tuned in here, free water from the lounges isn't an option.  And pointing out getting water from the lounges is bragging about access to the lounges.  Everyone knows there's goodies in the lounges.  That's not useful information for anyone.

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, impulse said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite correct - there are credit cards which give free lounge access.

Nothing is free.  It's included.  Those credit cards charge fees.  If they didn't, they couldn't pay the airlines to offer benefits.  Last time I checked, the airlines make more money selling points than they do selling tickets and flying people around.

I'm making a pedantic argument, for sure.  But for the majority tuned in here, free water from the lounges isn't an option.  And pointing out getting water from the lounges is bragging about access to the lounges.  Everyone knows there's goodies in the lounges.  That's not useful information for anyone.

Its free lounge access with the Credit Card.

And the flights we get from the Credit card points is also free (tax on top of course).

I make far more from the Credits Card usage than they ever cost me - so yes, its free.

Valid points though...   one of the very good things about Bangkok Airport is that it doesn't fleece passengers. 

Water can be purchased for very reasonable prices at any of the cafes & shops for anyone wanting a top up (cheaper than most any other airport I've been to in the world).

In contrast water probably costs about $10 at Istanbul Airport - I exaggerate, but that airport is an outrageous rip off.

38 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:
On 9/12/2024 at 3:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There was a discussion about UK airports potentially abolishing the 100ml limit on liquids by 2025. However, this change has not yet been implemented.

Do UK airports make the final decision?

I think each Individual Airport makes its own decision - which initially was made after installing next-generation CT scanners.

But, the scanners had a higher than anticipated 'rejection rate' flagging liquids, thus the 100ml rule was reinstated, this time as measure to limit queues caused by the higher rejection rates and requirements for further investigation. 

https://www.thetimes.com/travel/advice/airport-security-rules-liquids-laptops-xw8hk058f#:~:text=The rule was scrapped at,3D scanners were rolled out.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Water can be purchased for very reasonable prices at any of the cafes & shops for anyone wanting a top up (cheaper than most any other airport I've been to in the world).

EU, US and other civilized world airports has toilets where you can safely drink or re-fill from facets...

1 minute ago, GypsyT said:

EU, US and other civilized world airports has toilets where you can safely drink or re-fill from facets...

Erm... have you tasted UK tap water ?? (Its like a swimming pool)...  I'll still to bottled water.

Then there is this.. (below)..  from 'theoretically' civilised countries... 

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1q1d51w27o

And this... 

image.thumb.png.0b22483e5097ecb01d4e27ba8fd12e6a.png

On 9/12/2024 at 3:05 PM, Upnotover said:
On 9/12/2024 at 2:52 PM, Scouse123 said:

What and you save 7 baht?

You've not bought water airside lately I take it.

Who does? Both BKK and DMK, like many other international airports, have free water dispensers so you top up your own bottle.

For free.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... have you tasted UK tap water ?? (Its like a swimming pool)...  I'll still to bottled water.

Then there is this.. (below)..  from 'theoretically' civilised countries... 

And this... 

image.thumb.png.0b22483e5097ecb01d4e27ba8fd12e6a.png

I drink the tap water in east Lancashire, and it doesn't taste "like a swimming pool" or at least, not like any swimming pool I have used.

United Utilities (northwest England) boasts 7,000,000 consumers and in 2022, there were only 4 detections of fecal bacteria in the water. I broke my calculator trying to get that as a percentage. Maybe someone didn't wash their hands after taking a dump?

Happens.

17 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:
On 9/12/2024 at 3:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There was a discussion about UK airports potentially abolishing the 100ml limit on liquids by 2025. However, this change has not yet been implemented.

Do UK airports make the final decision?

No. UK airports have to comply with the directives from the UK Department of Transport.