Thai Coach of Tham Luang Cave Boys Trapped Again - by typhoon floods

webfact

image.jpeg

Ekkapol Chantawong, the coach of the "Wild Boars" football team that gained worldwide attention after their dramatic cave rescue in 2018, is now facing another life-threatening situation. This time, he's stranded on the roof of his house due to flash floods caused by Typhoon Yagi in Mae Sai, northern Thailand.

Ekkapol shared his experience with AFP on Wednesday (Sep. 11). He described how the floodwaters rose suddenly early Tuesday morning, leaving him, his girlfriend, and her aunt with no time to escape. They spent the night on the roof as the waters continued to rise.

"I was scared, but I told myself to stay calm and assess the situation," Ekkapol said.

Though the floodwaters have receded slightly, allowing them to access the ground floor, the strong current outside still prevents them from leaving safely.

Typhoon Yagi has caused widespread destruction, bringing deadly flash floods and landslides to northern Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar. Despite the dire circumstances, Ekkapol remains hopeful, drawing on his experience from the 2018 cave rescue.

"I don't feel more pressure now. I see a way out," he noted, emphasizing the importance of staying focused and solving the problem at hand, reported Thai Newsroom.

When asked if he could imagine facing another similar ordeal, Ekkapol laughed and replied, "It's hard to predict the future, but I hope I don't have to spend another night on the roof."

TOP: Screenshot social media pages

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-12

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1