What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

Depends what you like I’m a beach lover so I live on the beach have lived on both Samui and Phangan both are as good as each other but Samui is a lot busier but be warned the two islands I mentioned are the most expensive in Thailand but still cheaper than the western world 

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Nobody cares if you don't think Pattaya suits you. The topic is about the best place for expats to settle for long-term living. Why not just give your recommendation and be done with it? Yet you absolutely needed to perpetuate superficial stereotypes about Pattaya that merely revealed you don't know much about the place. In the course of which, we discovered your objections didn't make a lot of sense. And so you realized, as is evident by your refusal to answer questions.

Meanwhile, you carefully failed to mention the notable disadvantages of living in your chosen paradise. Actually, some of these aren't a matter of mere preference. For older expats, having excellent government hospitals and a variety of good private hospitals nearby and conveniently accessed, as in Pattaya, is a matter of necessity--for those not in denial. 

It's only matter of public duty to debunk your Pattaya stereotyping, whether you cooperate or not. Losing battle, to be sure.

Oh my, I guess you prove my point. Get well, good luck 🤗 Thank you

• Sad 1

Anywhere north of Hua Hin.

Mentality in the south is terrible.

Bangkok is ok if you like big polluted cities.

Pattaya / Jomtien is great.

Isaan is pretty peaceful and relatively lively if you settle in Khon Kaen or Udon Thani.

The Chiang Mai area has a serious pollution problem as well due to agriculture but is really beautiful.

The most important when moving to Thailand, is to have a plan B, and if first buying some place to live permanent, have the possiblity to travel during the different seasons to other places. Be it the worst heat and burning seasons if your place is affected. 

I do not know the average age here, but my guess around 70 years old? Im 55 so I might have different view than most of you guys and for the OP, I guess he trying to be a younger guy, but he seems just to start treads and not reply to much or if ever. 

On 9/16/2024 at 4:47 PM, Hummin said:

I do not know the average age here, but my guess around 70 years old? Im 55 so I might have different view than most of you guys and for the OP, I guess he trying to be a younger guy, but he seems just to start treads and not reply to much or if ever. 

Good spot ... he's started 34 topics, with only 66 posts 😎

I found it! Nuevo California for home sick Gringos.... like me (who some times miss LA / CA of '80s). The location is great, short drive from BKK. Way too expensive for me but seeing is free.

I'll go and see since I plan to scout the whole beach area south of Bangkok, in Samut Prakan.

Nobody knows anything about that beach, or if there is a beach?

https://www.homes-thailand.com/projects/thailand/samut-prakan/bang-phli/bang-kaeo/magnolias-southern-california

Looks like copy cat of fake Italian Villages which come-n-go like Sattahip Vine area or Khao Yai's "Palio". When I was there they wanted entry fee! No double pricing here... I though stupid to pay to see houses for sale and asked a local man and he told "Go back side dirt road, no fee". I did and there were nothing to see. Many shops closed and the whole place was semi run down.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/Shop/palio-khao-yai

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I found it! Nuevo California for home sick Gringos.... like me (who some times miss LA / CA of '80s). The location is great, short drive from BKK. Way too expensive for me but seeing is free.

I'll go and see since I plan to scout the whole beach area south of Bangkok, in Samut Prakan.

Nobody knows anything about that beach, or if there is a beach?

https://www.homes-thailand.com/projects/thailand/samut-prakan/bang-phli/bang-kaeo/magnolias-southern-california

Looks like copy cat of fake Italian Villages which come-n-go like Sattahip Vine area or Khao Yai's "Palio". When I was there they wanted entry fee! No double pricing here... I though stupid to pay to see houses for sale and asked a local man and he told "Go back side dirt road, no fee". I did and there were nothing to see. Many shops closed and the whole place was semi run down.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/Shop/palio-khao-yai

The houses, from the photos I saw, look like the Silk Road project in Pattaya.