Foreign pickup driver flees after crashing into Thai woman in Phuket

snoop1130

On 9/12/2024 at 5:00 PM, Tropicalevo said:

You could swap the words foreigners and Thai in the last five quotes and that would be similar to posts on AN.

I think you mean it would be more accurate.

You could do this for most of the article.  I'm not sure how these people are so out of touch.  I guess it's just racism.

On 9/12/2024 at 4:52 PM, snoop1130 said:

The victim stated that the foreigner did not take responsibility for the accident and she has not received any updates from the police.

Just because he hit her, doesn't mean it is his fault. 

From her description, it sounds like he was still in his lane, but she decided to filter/lane split into his lane before he had left it, as it looked like he was going to change lanes.  If he then decided not to change lanes, and returned to the centre of his lane, while she was in a spot in his lane that he could not see, then it's surely her fault for being in his lane.

Filtering and sharing lanes with cars is very dangerous.

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

In order to fit in foreigners tend to behave like Thais on the road, otherwise it’d be dangerous. The woman I bet rushed into that space as soon as she physically could rather than if it was safe to do so. How many Thais stop after causing an accident? None, if they can get away with it. Let them moan and groan, otherwise it’s a non-story. 

She saw a space and filled it.  She probably didn't think he would move back into it.  The guy likely didn't even see her.

But she thinks he should take responsibility for her error!

Filtering is very risky.  Thais seem to behave like motorcyclists have their own little private lane in-between each lane on the road.  They don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Most foreigners have gone through extensive (and expensive) traffic training schools, learning how to drive. They don`t get a

licence without training AND exams, with a teacher at their side

in the car.

Not only that, but we come from places where there is very strict law enforcement on roads, as well as learned social responsivity due to stigmatisation of bad/dangerous driving.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Thailand - just because a left turn signal is flashing in front of you does not mean the car/motorbike is turning left and vice versa. A foreigner allegedly hitting a Thai on the road ? big problem for YOU regardless of fault ! Take care out there, it's a jungle....... 

On 9/12/2024 at 5:02 PM, terryq said:

Not something I would be caught out doing.

When I see somebody indicating a left turn I expect them to move to the right before executing the turn as I assume that they are making the turning radius larger.

The pickup driver was in the wrong (IMHO) but she should have hung back or given more space on the right.

Agreed. But why do drivers here turn like they're driving an 18-wheeler and insist on making their turning circle wider by moving the steering wheel the opposite way first? This guy seems guilty of "driving while Thai".

It looks like the "me first" and "shoot-the-gap" mentality of this scooter rider didn't work out as she planned.

“I drive every day and encounter foreign motorists with terrible driving skills every day as well. Sorry for being rude but these foreigners even dare to complain to me on the road when they are actually in the wrong.”

My personal observation:

I drive every day and encounter local motorists with terrible driving skills every day as well. Sorry for being rude but these locals even dare to complain to me on the road when they are actually in the wrong.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, black tabby12345 said:
 2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Thailand, populated by many foreign-hating racists and covering up an inferiority complex over anything foreign, higher or better than .... the holy land! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undoubtfully, there are far more  (violent) Racists in the West than in Thailand.

Look at those hate crimes against Asians soared throughout Europe and North America during the Coronavirus scare a few years ago.

You can easily find photographic evidences on Youtube.

Just click in Hate Crimes Against Asians.

You can see heaps of such documentary footage instantly.

Does racism in other countries justify what is going on here? Asking for a friend - of course! 

21 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Foreigner just trying to fit in... When in Thailand, do as the Thais do. 😂 

Funny you should say that. When I go to Thailand I drive responsibly but after a while have been cut for the hundredth time by an undertaking speeding idiot I do start to adopt their bad habits.

Actually there is one part of Thai driving that I find very strange so may be I  could ask why here. Now not all Thais but most drive way to fast and too close the the vehicle in front. But when they stop at traffic lights they pull away like old grannies as if they don't know what the accelerator pedal is for. When ever I have found myself in pole position I can accelerate away at a normal rate. I don't mean foot to the floor. Just l pull away normally. After a few seconds and I look in my mirror the cars that were behind me are a hundred metres behind me. Then after a few minutes they come flying past me 120 kpm nose to tail. Why do they drive soooooooo slowly when accelerating away from lights then drive like morons at high speed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Foreigner just trying to fit in... When in Thailand, do as the Thais do. 😂 

On my recent trip to Thailand I did a land border crossing into Malaysia. I left the car at the border and met a friend on the Malaysian side. I guess 800 metres or so separates the two countries and suddenly drivers know how to drive properly. I assume that it is simply down to discipline and law enforcement.

On 9/12/2024 at 10:52 AM, snoop1130 said:

“I drive every day and encounter foreign motorists with terrible driving skills every day as well. Sorry for being rude but these foreigners even dare to complain to me on the road when they are actually in the wrong.”

Best laugh i have had this year.  Now, we could all say that everyone thinks they're the best drivers and maybe the Thai is right and it's the foreigners who can't drive.   Until you look at the stats and Thailand roads have one of the highest deaths in the world and the facts don't lie.  

• Haha 1

"The foreign driver initially came over to check on her but did not offer any help and later fled the scene".   Seems a bit like...  He asked her if she was alright and she said yes so he went off.  Once she had got over the shock of the accident.  she then realized she should have got some cash out of the foreigner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Best laugh i have had this year.  Now, we could all say that everyone thinks they're the best drivers and maybe the Thai is right and it's the foreigners who can't drive.   Until you look at the stats and Thailand roads have one of the highest deaths in the world and the facts don't lie.  

My wife used to make me laugh. During the day I was expected to do the driving. But at night, even though I think her night vision was a bit iffy, she would get behind the wheel and off she would go. She would then get her phone out and start sending messages on Line app while I sit there staring out of the window. I ask you, if she wants to send messages why doesn't she just ask me to drive. My night vision is much better than hers anyway. Just a Thai thing I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, James9999 said:
31 minutes ago, paulikens said:

When I drive on a dual carriageway road I stick to the left had lane unless I am overtaking. Having overtaken I move back to the inside lane. The wife says why am I not driving in the outside lane. I say why should I be driving in the outside lane. Because it is less bumpy was the reply. Is that why I see large articulated lorries crawling along in the outside lane when the inside lane is empty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, James9999 said:

When I drive on a dual carriageway road I stick to the left had lane unless I am overtaking. Having overtaken I move back to the inside lane.

So, how does "after a while have been cut for the hundredth time by an undertaking speeding idiot" happen?

Edited by London Lowf

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

So, how does "after a while have been cut for the hundredth time by an undertaking speeding idiot" happen?

Easy, I will explain. There is a heavy lorry plodding along with a long queue of traffic queuing to overtake it. The reason there is a queue is because of the "Thai" morons, notice Thai not foreigners charging up the inside to cut in at the front on the queue. Also undertaking where there is left turn slip road. Or simply in heavy traffic on a 3 or 4 lane highway, you know the ones with variable speed limits so I will be in lane 3 or 4 because that is the speed that I choose to drive at. Then you get the 140kph driver weaving in and out of the lanes. But as I say if I am on a 2 lane carriage way and the inside lane is clear then I move back to lane 1. Understand now?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, James9999 said:

Easy, I will explain. There is a heavy lorry plodding along with a long queue of traffic queuing to overtake it. The reason there is a queue is because of the "Thai" morons, notice Thai not foreigners charging up the inside to cut in at the front on the queue. Also undertaking where there is left turn slip road. Or simply in heavy traffic on a 3 or 4 lane highway, you know the ones with variable speed limits so I will be in lane 3 or 4 because that is the speed that I choose to drive at. Then you get the 140kph driver weaving in and out of the lanes. But as I say if I am on a 2 lane carriage way and the inside lane is clear then I move back to lane 1. Understand now?

No, I read your post three times and am still not clear - but never mind.

And by the way, it wasn't me who left the confused emoji so I guess I'm not the only one.

Turn signals don't mean squat in Thailand (and I'm betting just as much in other parts of the world).

Some people don't use them at all.

Some people leave them on all the time.

The two most irritating things for me about the usage of turn signals in Thailand:

- The person who is first in line at a red light (or directly in front of me). Sits there for the duration of the light and just as it turns green turns on his turn signal.

- The person who is driving slow in the fast lane (right) and when you get up behind them they turn their turn signal on for a right hand turn but yet the next possible place to make a right hand turn is 3 km down the road.

Seen a number of close calls between scooters where one had left their signal on and wasn't going to be turning.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

No, I read your post three times and am still not clear - but never mind.

And by the way, it wasn't me who left the confused emoji so I guess I'm not the only one.

Which bit didn't you understand? The drivers who undertake a queue of traffic to cut in front of the cars trying to overtake a slow moving lorry. Or the undertaking on multiple lane highways that have variable speed limits depending which lane you are in? May be you are transgressor which is why you don't recognise it.

On 9/14/2024 at 6:01 PM, James9999 said:

Actually there is one part of Thai driving that I find very strange so may be I  could ask why here. Now not all Thais but most drive way to fast and too close the the vehicle in front.

Tailgating - very common in countries with poor driver education... drivers just copying the way others drive and driving habits such as this become legacy behavior. 

But when they stop at traffic lights they pull away like old grannies as if they don't know what the accelerator pedal is for.

Because other vehicles do not stop when the light turns red - Just watch at the junctions, see a light turn red then count all the cars going through on red, usually at least 5.

... So drivers don't pull away from the lights quickly, becasue there is a higher liklihood of a truck-blowing through the red light and t-boning them... hence the caution, which is also  just copying the way others drive and driving habits such as this become legacy behavior. 

When ever I have found myself in pole position I can accelerate away at a normal rate. I don't mean foot to the floor. Just l pull away normally. After a few seconds and I look in my mirror the cars that were behind me are a hundred metres behind me.

Careful doing that, you'll caught out by a vehicle blowing through a red light. 

On the acceleration thing - its true, Thai's tend not to acellerate quickly, after passing through lights or / toll booths - the built up speed slowly, then the brakes is the last thing they want to touch. 

Then after a few minutes they come flying past me 120 kpm nose to tail. Why do they drive soooooooo slowly when accelerating away from lights then drive like morons at high speed?

Valid question...  I think when pulling away some think they are being efficient and down want to accelerate too hard, but then a lot do the same thing - again, I think this is legacy behavior - drivers copying the way they've seen others behave.

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Tailgating - very common in countries with poor driver education... drivers just copying the way others drive and driving habits such as this become legacy behavior. 

Because other vehicles do not stop when the light turns red - Just watch at the junctions, see a light turn red then count all the cars going through on red, usually at least 5.

... So drivers don't pull away from the lights quickly, becasue there is a higher liklihood of a truck-blowing through the red light and t-boning them... hence the caution, which is also  just copying the way others drive and driving habits such as this become legacy behavior. 

Careful doing that, you'll caught out by a vehicle blowing through a red light. 

On the acceleration thing - its true, Thai's tend not to acellerate quickly, after passing through lights or / toll booths - the built up speed slowly, then the brakes is the last thing they want to touch. 

Valid question...  I think when pulling away some think they are being efficient and down want to accelerate too hard, but then a lot do the same thing - again, I think this is legacy behavior - drivers copying the way they've seen others behave.

I take your point about not going too quickly after the lights turn green in case a car on the other road jumps the red. But once clear of the junction then go a bit faster. It is the fact that after hundreds of metres past the junction they may have got up to 30 kph but a few minutes later are are doing 120 plus. This seem to be universal not at the odd junction. Just very very very slow at accelerating. As I said if I was away first and checking that nobody was crossing after a short while I would find myself hundreds of metres ahead of them.

29 minutes ago, James9999 said:

I take your point about not going too quickly after the lights turn green in case a car on the other road jumps the red. But once clear of the junction then go a bit faster. It is the fact that after hundreds of metres past the junction they may have got up to 30 kph but a few minutes later are are doing 120 plus. This seem to be universal not at the odd junction. Just very very very slow at accelerating. As I said if I was away first and checking that nobody was crossing after a short while I would find myself hundreds of metres ahead of them.

I agree... I've witnessed similar plenty of times...  I wonder if its considered 'fuel saving'...  Or, its just what everyone else does... so the same road behaviour is repeated across the nation.

Many Thai netizens condemned the foreign man, as well as other foreign motorists in Phuket, for their reckless driving and poor behaviour on the roads.

Ha ha ha ha ha.
Ahhhh Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
HAHAHAHAHA.

th-2965922676.jpeg.b6dd2877f54ec666c5812b025d9197b9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... I've witnessed similar plenty of times...  I wonder if its considered 'fuel saving'...  Or, its just what everyone else does... so the same road behaviour is repeated across the nation.

Well I did wonder that but after a short while they are doing 120 anyway. I am not sure whether takeing for ever to go through the gears actually saves fuel.

On 9/13/2024 at 6:56 AM, RichardColeman said:

The amount of Thais I see in cars indicating they are going left or right for miles on end ...................

Usually when Thai's have the indicator flashing your safe as they are going to go straight.

When no indicator is on you have to guess if they will turn.