Any advantages to retirement over marriage visa?

Is it fairly simple to do the cash in bank first time round and later switch to monthly income?  

I won't be able to get a bank account until I arrive so I won't be able to show 12 months of income in a Thai bank account prior to applying for the extension (unless it can be shown in an overseas bank).  I understand that the British embassy don't issue letters verifying income though so that could be an issue.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The upside to the marriage visa, is that only 400,000 is needed as a deposit, and it does not have to stay in the bank, once your visa is granted.

The downsides are:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses.

The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

Frankly, I think at least some of this comes from the rather extreme level of xenophobia and the toxic racism of the army. It filters down throughout the government. I do not think they want us here. And making these procedures difficult is one way of expressing that. 

Fortunately, I feel very little of that sentiment from the non governmental Thai people. 

I use only the retirement visa now. I realize that part of the aggravation that I felt in regard to living in Thailand was due to having to deal with immigration and by switching to the retirement visa I was able to rid myself of a lot of that aggravation. 

I totally agree with you. Ive been married to a Thai lady for 22 years,  I took the 400K option until 8 years ago I just got fed up virtually cowering to get a one year visa. I've made visas at Immigration offices in Bangkok and Pattaya. A friend suggested to me to use an agent which even though it costs more it's money well spent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

As it is needed for both marriage and retirement visas, I assume most have found a way.

The Non Imm O visa is usually applied for at a Thai Embassy before arrival.

On entry, you're permitted a stay of 90 days.
You then extend that period of stay for a further 1 year (subject to meeting the requirements).
This extension of stay is a permit, not a visa.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Possibly, but very doubtful.

What's doubtful?

In Aug 2020 I was half way through an ME visa and had been getting auto extensions. They were due to come to an end so I went along to immigration and tried to get a 12 month extension based on 2 months of transactions. The IO initially nodded but looking through my passport suddenly shook her head and pointed to an extension a few years previous and said it would need to be 12 transactions.

Not a big problem the auto extension went on another month which gave me the 12th transaction I needed.

I think the OP would be fairly safe having been out of the country for 10 years.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Not a big problem the auto extension went on another month which gave me the 12th transaction I needed.

I think the OP would be fairly safe having been out of the country for 10 years.

OP, is UK so no embassy letter for income method.

He would need to show 12 month of transfers for first extension.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

As it is needed for both marriage and retirement visas, I assume most have found a way.

Not necessarily. 

Many use an agent. 

Better plan for you is to obtain eVisa non O in UK.

With non O in pp you should be able to open Thai bank account in your name only. 

In recent times in eg Bangkok even some agents have dropped opening bank account from their services eg Siam Legal.

Also in Bangkok you need a COR and that requires a TM47. 

26 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Is it fairly simple to do the cash in bank first time round and later switch to monthly income?  

I won't be able to get a bank account until I arrive so I won't be able to show 12 months of income in a Thai bank account prior to applying for the extension (unless it can be shown in an overseas bank).  I understand that the British embassy don't issue letters verifying income though so that could be an issue.

No problem just make sure the money coming in to your account is "flagged" as international transfer. I.o.w. coming from abroad.

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In Aug 2020 I was half way through an ME visa and had been getting auto extensions. They were due to come to an end so I went along to immigration and tried to get a 12 month extension based on 2 months of transactions. The IO initially nodded but looking through my passport suddenly shook her head and pointed to an extension a few years previous and said it would need to be 12 transactions.

That was the year after the 3 Embassies stopped issuing Income letters.

Immigration showed leniency for those switching to the income via monthly overseas transfers.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Yes it is fairly easy to change from one method to the other.

As  I mentioned earler you don't need 12 months on a very first application. There is an execption in place for people just arriving in Thailand and I am quite sure you could claim that to be the case. In the attached document you can see down in the bottom left hand corner of the first page how it is applied.

WM_Screen-Shot-2562-01-07-at-15_04_47.jpg.c27e128fccdea7705453d8f99298a186.jpg

WM_Screen-Shot-2562-01-07-at-15_05_07.jpg.7dc3638f4c00e877fd6e2d755697f38d.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes it is fairly easy to change from one method to the other.

As  I mentioned earler you don't need 12 months on a very first application. There is an execption in place for people just arriving in Thailand and I am quite sure you could claim that to be the case. In the attached document you can see down in the bottom left hand corner of the first page how it is applied.

Wouldn't it be prudent to first ask if the OP is in receipt of a pension.

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not necessarily. 

Many use an agent. 

Better plan for you is to obtain eVisa non O in UK.

With non O in pp you should be able to open Thai bank account in your name only. 

In recent times in eg Bangkok even some agents have dropped opening bank account from their services eg Siam Legal.

Also in Bangkok you need a COR and that requires a TM47. 

I guess you are talking about a TM30 and not TM47 90 Days Report?

Just now, UWEB said:

I guess you are talking about a TM30 and not TM47 90 Days Report?

No.

Bangkok (CW immigration) has unique requirement to issue a certificate of residence.

That being providing receipt of TM47.

Impossible on tourist visa and visa exempt.

Other offices do not have that requirement.

20 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Marriage would be far better option for you.

Less financial requirements.

You can use your cash in the bank unlike Retirement option.

Easy paperwork requirement in spite of what some on here would have you believe.

Only slightly more than retirement.

You can also get a Work Permit with marriage unlike retirement.

i agree, after the first year everything is a formality. Especially if you can afford to keep the 400K in the bank.

There was a post in out local Khon Kaen fb group yesterday, the whole application took 37 mins from the time he walked in the door. 

I guess a lot depends upon the local office. I have done so many now, the IO doesn’t ask questions and I sit in silence. It’s just a formality, I don’t begrudge the morning and previous afternoon, it’s just 8 hours out of the year.

Edited by recom273
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is an execption in place for people just arriving in Thailand and I am quite sure you could claim that to be the case. In the attached document you can see down in the bottom left hand corner of the first page how it is applied.

There is an exception for those who have just retired and can evidence receipt of pension.

Rayong Immigration for me. Retirement extension. Use the monthly transfer of funds, don't have to tie up any funds, always in and out in less than an hour with an approved extension. Don't have to go back a month later for my approval. It is a 100 km round trip through traffic so we are talking savings of two hours of my time. No brainer.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Firstly, that income must be from a pension, investments, or dividends.

It's much easier to switch from funds in the bank to income when the extension is based on Thai spouse.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Firstly, that income must be from a pension, investments, or dividends.

It's much easier to switch from funds in the bank to income when the extension is based on Thai spouse.

Thanks.  Mine is mainly from rental income so obviously that won't an option for me.

7 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Rental income mainly with a bit from dividends.

You may have a problem using the income method, unless you can convince Immigration your rental income comes as a result of an investment.

Read the info graph posted by sandyf above.

2) Evidence of showing pension - although theoretically, income from investments and dividends should also be accepted.

Immigration can and do sometimes request proof of pension via statement from a pension provider.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You may have a problem using the income method, unless you can convince Immigration your rental income comes as a result of an investment.

Read the info graph posted by sandyf above.

2) Evidence of showing pension - although theoretically, income from investments and dividends should also be accepted.

Immigration can and do sometimes request proof of pension via statement from a pension provider.

Thanks.  I'll probably have to stick to the cash in bank method then.  

3 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Thanks.  I'll probably have to stick to the cash in bank method then.  

Regardless of some posts ....

You will need to use funds in bank method for your first extension be that based on marriage or retirement.

If you wish to use income method for second extension then you need to start monthly transfers as soon as you have a Thai bank account.

In that way you will be able to show 12 monthly transfers with bank statement for 2nd extension 

40k for marriage v 65k for marriage.

In reality if you opt for extension based on marriage the 400k for 2 months prior to application+ under consideration period is a sweet deal as with final stamp you can use funds as you wish. Unlike extension retirement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colonel_Mustard said:

Thanks.  Mine is mainly from rental income so obviously that won't an option for me.

Personally, from the information you've advised, I would apply for the Non Imm O based on Thai spouse from the Thai Embassy in London.

On entry that permits a stay of 90 days.
To apply for the extension of stay based on Thai spouse, the financial requirement using funds in the bank method is to deposit 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of applying for the extension. That essential gives you 30 days to open a bank account and transfer said funds, although you have a further option of applying for a 60 day extension to the 90 days based on Thai spouse, which will grant more time.

Once the 1-year extension is granted, you can withdraw and spend the whole 400K if desired.
For the following year, deposit 400K again 2 months before you submit your next application.

Most expats use 'Wise' for overseas transfers of income/funds.
Very transparent and good exchange rates.
You should consider registering before you make the move.
https://wise.com/us/blog/how-to-open-wise-account

It's now not as easy to open a bank account as it used to be.
A Non Immigrant visa and a certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of address.
File a TM30 with Korat as soon as you arrive and then request a COR.
I suggest Bangkok bank, Kasikorn or SCB.
It also helps immensely if you know someone who can also vouch for you, such as an existing customer or Thai official.

9 hours ago, UWEB said:

Hua Hin is doing this, but no problem for me.

Not in my experience, they're not. I've done at least 3 extensions (maybe 4, can't remember exactly) by reason of marriage in Hua Hin and they only visited the one time, when I first switched from retirement to marriage.

I would agree with those who say that marriage extensions are really not that burdensome. The only thing that annoys me slightly is the time it takes to sign all the documents. Other than that, it's fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not in my experience, they're not. I've done at least 3 extensions (maybe 4, can't remember exactly) by reason of marriage in Hua Hin and they only visited the one time, when I first switched from retirement to marriage.

I would agree with those who say that marriage extensions are really not that burdensome. The only thing that annoys me slightly is the time it takes to sign all the documents. Other than that, it's fine.

Have done it now three times in Hua Hin, first time they did not come due to Covid but had a Online Session via Line upon return from Immigration, the other two times they came to my House.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

Bangkok (CW immigration) has unique requirement to issue a certificate of residence.

That being providing receipt of TM47.

Impossible on tourist visa and visa exempt.

Other offices do not have that requirement.

So you have to wait at least 90 days to get a CoR to open a Bank Account?