'Special' (Private) room at Hua Hin Hospital.

Fortean1

On 9 September we went to the Eye Clinic.  My wife will have cataracts removed from her left eye on the 23rd.

We were directed to the Information Desk near the main entrance.  We were told we could not reserve a special

(private) room at that time.  Comments are welcome on those who have secured a special (private) room.  No

family in the area and I will provide 24/7 care for two days.  I/we do not want to be placed in a general purpose

ward.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

Edited by Fortean1
Typos...

Agreed.  This is not true for my wife in this point in time.  Curious indeed.  My wife went to a private clinic in Bangkok for her right eye.  20,000 baht and outpatient without the need for Xray, blood test, and EKG and all the jerking around at the Eye Clinic at Hua Hin Hospital.  New management?  6,000 baht + 2 days in a hospital.  It is beyond irritating.

• Agree 1

I was allocated the VIP suite in our local hospital.

It was a private room with a bed, squat toilet and a hand basin that was hanging of the wall and covered in ants.

The walls were covered in patches of blood, which I hoped were ex-mosquitos!...Oh and it had one chair.

Three nights, four litres of saline drip, antibiotics, essential salts....£60.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

It was a private room with a bed, squat toilet and a hand basin that was hanging of the wall and covered in ants.

The walls were covered in patches of blood, which I hoped were ex-mosquitos!...Oh and it had one chair.

Lesson learned?  Stick to 'international/private' hospitals in Thailand!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Fortean1 said:

New management?  6,000 baht + 2 days in a hospital.  It is beyond irritating.

It is weird all of the different tales from the different hospitals.

I paid top $ to have new lenses because of cataracts.

Left eye day 1, right eye day 2.

No stay in the hospital.

Procedure in the mornings, working on the laptop at the hotel in the afternoons.

Your two day stay is possibly a money grab.

Are you supposed to 'bid' for the private room?

I had similar when I went for a colonoscopy.

Three day stay in the hospital. (But it was a very nice room.)

Private rooms at the government hospital here on Samui - as rare as rocking horse schitt.

Private rooms in the six private hospitals - no problem.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is weird all of the different tales from the different hospitals.

I paid top $ to have new lenses because of cataracts.

Left eye day 1, right eye day 2.

No stay in the hospital.

Procedure in the mornings, working on the laptop at the hotel in the afternoons.

Your two day stay is possibly a money grab.

Are you supposed to 'bid' for the private room?

I had similar when I went for a colonoscopy.

Three day stay in the hospital. (But it was a very nice room.)

Private rooms at the government hospital here on Samui - as rare as rocking horse schitt.

Private rooms in the six private hospitals - no problem.

Yes, bidding and a lottery of sorts.  Definitely a money grab.  Lessons learned, do not do this again.

We went to the emergency room at Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin when my wife had a stroke in March 2017.  ICU overnight and then ambulance to Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok.  Stabilized and the right carotid artery replaced using left leg vein.  A few million baht but TRICARE, the U.S. military HMO, covered 65% to 70% the first $3,000, then 100% of the remainder.  Excellent care and primary doctor worked in the U.S. for several decades. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, howerde said:

I was told there was a problem with nurse shortages, apparently if you want a private room, a nurse is mandatory, and there is a shortage of them. but this was in Bangkok

At the government hospital here on Samui, I tried to get a private room for a friend. She had tuberculosis.

Luckily, none available.

If we got one, I would have had to stay in the room with her 24/7. Same thing, no nurses.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

At the government hospital here on Samui, I tried to get a private room for a friend. She had tuberculosis.

Luckily, none available.

If we got one, I would have had to stay in the room with her 24/7. Same thing, no nurses.

My wife's family is in Bangkok and the Ayutthaya area.  I'm going to try and ask the staff head nurse on the 23rd that I am the only family.  Staying 24/7 for the better part of two days will be difficult for us.  My wife is 78.  I am 75.  No one mentioned nurses to us but as we know hospitals differ a bit here.

Why would you need to be inpatient for that, you could just stay at a hotel. Those procedures take like 30-45 minutes. Sounds like a money grab if they want her to stay for 2 nights, knowing upfront that she would need basically zero care too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 9/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, Will B Good said:

Sounds like a nightmare, in CM I was paying for a decent room around 1.5K baht a night in the hospital. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Sounds like a nightmare, in CM I was paying for a decent room around 1.5K baht a night in the hospital. 

It was made infinitely worse by a guy in the general ward who was in agony......stomach cancer apparently....who screamed constantly.....'I don't want to die' (in Isaan of course).

What was nice was the constant interest paid to be by little Thai faces peering through the little window in the door to my room and the large number of hospital staff who waved me off when I left.....555

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

It was made infinitely worse by a guy in the general ward who was in agony......stomach cancer apparently....who screamed constantly.....'I don't want to die' (in Isaan of course).

What was nice was the constant interest paid to be by little Thai faces peering through the little window in the door to my room and the large number of hospital staff who waved me off when I left.....555

The king of isaan is leaving, i can see them all lined up while you roll out in a wheelchair.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Why would you need to be inpatient for that, you could just stay at a hotel. Those procedures take like 30-45 minutes. Sounds like a money grab if they want her to stay for 2 nights, knowing upfront that she would need basically zero care too.

Yes, a money grab.  My wife went to a private clinic in Bangkok a few years ago to remove cataracts from her right eye.  20,000 baht, no fuss and no muss, none of the paperwork drill, short visit, and returned in two hours to my sister-in-law's house in Lat Phrao.  Irritating on the 9th as Eye Clinic directed us to the X-ray lab and blood collection to read the x-ray CD and blood pressure (?), both goat ropes, and finally given a number and four or five more things to do in the Eye Clinic, about six hours and then back home.

On 9/12/2024 at 9:41 PM, Fortean1 said:

We were told we could not reserve a special

(private) room at that time.

Could this be a miscommunication of some kind?

As in you can't reserve a private room, because its not needed - so they just said no room for you?

Anyway I wouldn't sweat it - once the procedure is done, check out of the place, pay the bill and go home.

My wife is Thai.  She understood no reservation although three price levels were given. Yes, but check in is Monday, the 23rd, and procedure the following morning.  Next week 2nd trip to my wife's hospital, Pran Buri Hospital, to get the permission paper for Hua Hin Hospital to perform the procedure.  The previous one had expired.  We shall hopefully see what is in store on the 23rd.  I've learned the map is not the territory as we were instructed in the Army.  LOL

• Like 1