Trying to find a bicycle that is comfortable to ride

connda

Back in the day and over the last 40 years I've had a number of different bicycles from 10 speeds to 21 speed on and offroad bikes.

Nowadays I just want a comfortable bicycle with a minimal number of gears for riding on relatively flat roads.  I want my arms higher than by seat, in other words I do not want be be bent over (I could care less about aerodynamics) but yet a need to be able to get a full extension with my legs without feeling like I'm cramped up - I used to ride 26 inch frames which felt good.  My last bicycle had a smaller frame and I eventually sold it because it was simply too uncomfortable to ride. 

Someone suggested a "City Bike" so I looked one up.  This look about right, but the price is utterly stupid.  The first bike pictured is a $1500 bike. <laughs>
But this is the "form" of the bike that I think would work well. I had AI generate the second picture for reference.  Does anyone know where I can buy something like this for 10K THB or under.  I'd be buying it in Chiang Mai but I'm open to suggestions for make/models. 

As a note:  I really dislike going into bicycle shops as I'm too often feeling pushed by the staff to buy a bike that isn't what I'm looking for.  That's exactly how I ended up with my last bicycle which I ended up hating.  Part of the problem is they would not allow me to ride it before buying.  Anyway - open to suggestions.

e5275068-5ca2-4a1e-91a7-d36af7fe2821.thumb.jpeg.b95822aa8139572e2ca3d4c5dbb4462c.jpeg

image.jpg.67040fb6add7452061dbcfb919498f64.jpg

I chose the model I wanted and then looked for a shop that had my size in stock. Took a bit of time and a few decision changes as not all models are available here, but I finally got what I wanted. The shop staff were very professional. I see that you are in the North. 888Bike Shop in Chiangrai have a wide range (888bike.net). Maybe worth checking out unless they are underwater at the moment. Run through their website to see if there is anything that takes your fancy. 

One of the biggest problems I have found is size. Many shops do not stock large frame sizes as they do not sell so well so I eneded up going down to Bangkok to buy my. However, if you don't have to long an inseam, you should be fine.  

39 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

The images you've posted are all e-bikes so they will cost more.

Look at the form of the bike (essentially what it looks like as an example).  That's what I'm looking for.  I have no interest in electric bikes - zero.

I just got one like this,light weight,adjustable handle bar and i have a softer saddle then in the picture.Great bike for both men and women.It is a Momentum brand,lots of review on Google and the price is not so bad,around 13000 i believe it was,

https://www.bikeworldiowa.com/product/momentum-vida-low-step-381650-1.htmimage.jpeg.6452ed343381b571082354ab97515778.jpeg

Edited by jvs

16 minutes ago, jvs said:

I just got one like this,light weight,adjustable handle bar and i have a softer saddle then in the picture.Great bike for both men and women.It is a Momentum brand,lots of review on Google and the price is not so bad,around 13000 i believe it was,

https://www.bikeworldiowa.com/product/momentum-vida-low-step-381650-1.htmimage.jpeg.6452ed343381b571082354ab97515778.jpeg

That's the right look.  I checked the specs and they only come in small and medium.
Back to the problem that I'll need a larger bike.  Nice looking bike though.  :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, connda said:

That's the right look.  I checked the specs and they only come in small and medium.
Back to the problem that I'll need a larger bike.  Nice looking bike though.  :thumbsup:

They have other types also,maybe something you like.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

+1 on Decathlon.  I'm looking at bikes in China and the lower priced Rockriders look to be an excellent value.  I just can't get over the hurdle that I have a serviceable bike from years ago...  Though I bought it when my biking needs were different, and I don't ride as much as I'd like because it's not so comfortable any more.  But I'm a cheap bustard.   Back in the states, I have a cheap Specialized of the same basic genre.  I put a comfier seat on it and I love it.Rockrider ST 100 27.5 21sp Sport Bike - Black

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

@conndaThat's why I like my Schwinn, as fits your description.  Converted to an ebike when wanting, instead of buying something else, as really comfy to ride.

Schwinn Streamliner, and think I paid 11k for it, more than a few years back, but in Krung Thep.

Check out FaceBook MarkketPlace Chiang Mai, as see a few on there that might suit.

I think my Schwinn has been discontinued, or renamed

image.png.7f2db19b9e5af1cb2324bd29e4c7dc06.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@conndaThat's why I like my Schwinn, as fits your description.  Converted to an ebike when wanting, instead of buying something else, as really comfy to ride.

Schwinn Streamliner, and think I paid 11k for it, more than a few years back, but in Krung Thep.

Check out FaceBook MarkketPlace Chiang Mai, as see a few on there that might suit.

I think my Schwinn has been discontinued, or renamed

image.png.7f2db19b9e5af1cb2324bd29e4c7dc06.png

I had a 27 inch Schwinn 10 speed back in the States.  I loved it.  Had it for years.  I was my ONLY transportation in University.  I was putting 28+ miles a day on that puppy.
However, that Schwinn above is exactly what I want! 

My shopping bikes were bought against more or less the same criteria, but I could not find a higher handlebar compared to the saddle. 

You might have more luck in the local “labourers” shops, but they are unlikely to have large frames.  You might need to buy a special stem to raise your handlebars.

My current shopping bike is a Giant Escape 2, and when I went to collect it, I had to tell them to reverse the stem from -7 (maybe -15?) to +x.  It’s still lower than the saddle, because I am too tall for the frame.

I would recommend to avoid suspension, if you can, unless you are going off-road.  It just adds weight and drag.  But you can get a cheap suspension mountain bike for less than a cheap hybrid (no suspension).

• Like 1