Best Song of Past 100 Years? Your Vote?

GammaGlobulin

Leonard Cohen wasn't the best singer, but his gravelly voice seemed appropriate for the profound but often harsh lyrics of his songs.   Cohen was also a poet and novelist and the importance of his lyrics over melodic clang is evident.  He's  widely ackowledged  by critics and other musicians as one of the best lyricists of the past 100 years.

His  popular hit 'Closing Time" from  1992 is very reflective of the Pattaya experience.  A sample of the lyrics:

"And I loved you when our love was blessed
And I love you now there's nothing left
But sorrow and a sense of overtime
And I missed you since the place got wrecked
And I just don't care what happens next
Looks like freedom but it feels like death
It's something in between, I guess
It's closing time"                                                                https://genius.com/Leonard-cohen-closing-time-lyrics

For me it has to be Freebird  up there. No one i know and i've never known another Guitarist to attempt the Guitar Solo on it and as the lead singer and other band members were killed in an sir crash in my opinion is awarded the title Posthumously

I could never pick one song.

But I could pick my favorite Billie Holiday recording and it's not the earlier mentioned "Strange Fruit".

"Comes Love" Billie fantastic delivery with a fantastic band.

Too  many to claim to be best, many equally good - Je Ne Regrette Rien (Edith Piaf), Padam Padam (Edith Piaf), Feeling Good (Nina Simone), Ne Me Quitte Pas (Jacques Brel), I heard it through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye), Smalltown Boy (Bronski Beat), plus many songs by Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc..  The list is endless due to the sheer number of good songs

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The Tachibana Green band is amazing.

Practice, practice, practice, would love to see them live sometime, imagine this coming down your street!

Edited by proton

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Good music is timeless, which much music isn't. There are still bands bringing good music out these days, although it's hard to beat the music us old timers grew up with from the 50's to the 80's. Yes, there is no such thing as a best song. There are quite a few that will be at the top, and much of what one sees on music charts these days doesn't cut it. I could name hundreds of songs that are up at the top, although some might not be that into music to know them. Only a couple mentioned here fill that bill.

Also depends on your age and the mood you are in as to what is an awesome song.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

lol Judging by the responses on long dead music, Thaivisa must have some seriously ancient members. Each to their own of course and there cannot be 'best', a classic is written at any time, it is all subjective etc etc, but if you think Billie Holiday is in that bracket, then my vote would be to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by the Sherman Bros.

You are right. So, I thought about which "modern song" from the last couple of years was very good. I think this one is one of the best from recent years. And with 8.5 billion views on YouTube for just this video, it seems many people agree with me.

On 9/18/2024 at 1:12 AM, Evil Penevil said:

In terms of which song has had the most influence in the past 100 years, I would say the U.S. Civil War song "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

The past 100 years started in September 1924.  The US Civil War started in April 1861.

39 minutes ago, proton said:

Practice, practice, practice, would love to see them live sometime, imagine this coming down your street!

They seem to go to Disney every two years or so. LA  I think. They played the Rose Bowl a few years ago. There has to be a schedule available. They changed the arrangement on Sing, Sing, Sing two years ago but it is familiar.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are right. So, I thought about which "modern song" from the last couple of years was very good. I think this one is one of the best from recent years. And with 8.5 billion views on YouTube for just this video, it seems many people agree with me.

Yes, a very good song

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

The past 100 years started in September 1924.  The US Civil War started in April 1861.

More likely Dixie. The North won and forgot about it but the South is still butt-hurt and still promoting their racist nonsense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1