Baht's Biggest Surge Since 1998 Poses Risk to Tourism And Exports

webfact

On 9/21/2024 at 6:36 AM, cedel said:

A high /strong THB + a law to tax foreigners living in Thailand more than 6 months per year (also probably not only on remittances but on their WORLDWIDE total income) and you will have less and less retired expats in Thailand, they will be moving to Malaysia, The Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia or simply go back to their home country for good! 

"you will have less and less retired expats", why are the retired expats shrinking?

• Haha 1

Biggest surge, I don't think so, as dipped below 30 six ish times since I've been here, 2000.  News never fact checks itself here :coffee1:

It's got another 4 baht to go before any 'biggest surge'  Now, it's about at it's medium over the last 25 years.

Once was really nice for me, as sold the 1st house at one of those <29 weeks, and the funds were transferred in the USA $$$ to $$$.  Showed a hefty profit, and not brought over to TH till it recovered on the high side 😁

Built at 40+ ($20k) sold at 28+ ($46K ?) ...  😁

image.png.f67c36bc3897a9057b5afe870d883614.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

How do they do this without it falling into "manipulation" ?

It helps when the entity calling others "manipulators" (US Treasury Department) is the greatest currency manipulator in the history of the world. It has no claim to the moral high ground.

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

How do they do this without it falling into "manipulation" ?

BOT operates a managed floating rate under IMF rules. That allows them to intervene in markets to smooth out the peaks and valleys in the exchange rate. Plus BOT is required under ASEAN rules to keep its currency in line with the currencies of other ASEAN states.

But currency manipulation is not done using exchange rates, it's done via trade, by exporting more to USD based economies than it imports from them. That's what the Fed's real concern is, they want Thailand to import more goods from them, ditto, Germany, Switzerland and Vietnam who are also supposed currency manipulators according to the Fed..

https://www.cfr.org/article/tracking-currency-manipulation

Edited by chiang mai

On 9/21/2024 at 2:06 PM, wensiensheng said:

Thanks for the totally uninformed comment. You may wish to reflect on the fact that the USD to baht rate has now returned to the levels prevailing prior to President Biden taking office. Remember those days?

I do. Things priced in baht were much lower, including my rent (12 percent lower), electricity (10 percent lower), food (30 percent lower). If we're going to get 2019/2020 exchange rates, we need to get those years' prices for housing, utilities, and food as well.