Are cars legally required to stop for a zebra?

berro

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have found that most cars stop but the motor bikes not a chance in hell.

i'm confused. are you talking about thailand, or was that a typo? most cars don't stop at crosswalks either not just bikes ... 

• Agree 2

How do zebra crossings work in Thailand?

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.Jan 23, 2566 BE

29 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have found that most cars stop but the motor bikes not a chance in hell.

if I stop with my motorcycle, I'm quite sure all following cars or motorcycles will not and I bring myself in danger or the pedestrians.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Gecko said:

if I stop with my motorcycle, I'm quite sure all following cars or motorcycles will not and I bring myself in danger or the pedestrians.

I have where I live even seen motor cyclists stopping bikes behind them. Strange I know but they are not all idiots, most are however.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes I am talking about Thailand.

20 years ago, when i lived in chiang mai, almost no one stopped at pedestrian crossings even with a red traffic light!!!

i strongly suspect this is still the case, and not just in chiang mai ...

where do you live, i like to visit your place ... :smile:

Edited by motdaeng
typo

On 9/22/2024 at 1:12 PM, connda said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

Not unless there is a red light at the crossing.  However, unlike the West, here is Thailand it's a matter of self-preservation.  If you believe you have "the right to have cars stop for you in a crosswalk!," you may find yourself being shipped back to your home country in an urn. 

Even at crosswalk with red lights for oncoming traffic, I always look and keep an eye looking in the periphery of my vision in both directions, even on a one way.  Well - unless you're up to winning a Darwin Award.

By the way, if you really think that you're "In The Right" and insist on walking in front of a vehicle in a crosswalk and get hit and end up in the hospital, unlike the West, you'll more than likely end up paying for most of your own hospital bills and there isn't going to be any civil suit where you get paid for your "pain and suffering."  This ain't Kansas anymore Toto.

I know of a zebra crossing with traffic light, just for that crossing. 
seen Farangs crossing it while it was on green for traffic…..