Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

So, easy solution:

Just feel free to bribe the tax official if they ever want your taxes.

Where is the problem? 

There is problem for people who see it. Corrupted states have pros/cons.

6 hours ago, K2938 said:

Any views on the likelihood of Thailand actually going ahead with the announced plan to not only tax remitted, but global income regardless of remittance?  Thanks.

There have been many views on this ranging across all parts of the spectrum from will happen soon to no chance. However since there has been no new official news it is all pure speculation.

Even a small separate thread - https://aseannow.com/topic/1337570-world-wide-income-taxation-update/

On 10/10/2024 at 2:20 AM, chiang mai said:

If you want to debate this issue with me, you must try harder to remain focussed on the things being discussed

Shouldn't the guidance for this thread come from the OP? (chuckle, chuckle)

37 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

Ah, the disruptors are back at it. When you can't engage in meaningful dialogue, you resort to disruption and chaos—because thoughtful discussion clearly isn't your strong suit. Time and again, 'chiangmai' has proven you, the so-called CPA from the USA, wrong. It’s time you step aside and let those with real insight carry the conversation, rather than interrupting with your desperate attempts for attention. It's become truly embarrassing.

Agreed.

Having said that, Gant is actually useful, if repetitive.

Others of the disruptors are just so boring I don't read them anymore.

• Agree 1

I have again had to removed posts that seem obsessed with discussing other posters and not the topic. If you have a different opinion then challenge in the topic.

All that is achieved by discussing other posters is that your posts and all replies are removed and any good, valid points you have are lost.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Others of the disruptors are just so boring I don't read them anymore.

Other posters like 'stat' seems to think we're all impressed by his self-proclaimed title of "consultant." It's just another case of an overblown ego and arrogance.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Shouldn't the guidance for this thread come from the OP? (chuckle, chuckle)

The author of a post is far less important than the information being conveyed. Most evaluate posts based on their content and facts, not on who wrote them. Making assumptions about the author’s identity, especially when the post is accurate and well-written, is a clear attempt to derail the discussion. Frankly, it’s getting tiresome.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

The author of a post is far less important than the information being conveyed.

So from your point of view it's ok to use multiple accounts and post under different names as long as content is valuable? It's not.

Edited by Yumthai
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Yumthai said:

So from your point of view it's ok to use multiple accounts and post under different names? It's not.

Responding to this would only take the discussion further off-topic and away from the point of this thread.

• Agree 1

Air tickets,  revisited:

Buying a ticket out of Thailand to the US and paying with my foreign CC may or may not be a remittance,  this has been discussed extensively,  at least 3 times. So please don't start this discussion again.

What if someone else, living abroad,  pays with their foreign CC? I wouldn't even have to reimburse them,  they owe me money. 

IIRC, this also has been discussed a long time ago,  and the answer was,

- in the UK, HMRS would consider this a remittance

- in Thailand, probably too

- this would effectively mean all tickets out  of  Thailand are taxed,  and someone recommended to fly to a neighboring country first,  and buying the long-haul ticket there 

Do I remember correctly?

2 hours ago, Yumthai said:

So from your point of view it's ok to use multiple accounts and post under different names as long as content is valuable? It's not.

I have only ever had one account, I’ve had this one since 2006.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Air tickets,  revisited:

Buying a ticket out of Thailand to the US and paying with my foreign CC may or may not be a remittance,  this has been discussed extensively,  at least 3 times. So please don't start this discussion again.

Difficult to address your questions without starting it again, but I'll try.

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

What if someone else, living abroad,  pays with their foreign CC? I wouldn't even have to reimburse them,  they owe me money. 

Of course, this has no Thai tax implications at all for the "someone else", assuming they are a Non resident. 

It has no Thai tax implications for you, either. 

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

IIRC, this also has been discussed a long time ago,  and the answer was,

- in the UK, HMRS would consider this a remittance

- in Thailand, probably too

- this would effectively mean all tickets out  of  Thailand are taxed,  and someone recommended to fly to a neighboring country first,  and buying the long-haul ticket there 

Do I remember correctly?

This is an example of the kind of scenario that makes foreign credit card spending simply unenforceable / non auditable. 

You get into the realm of the absurd - Like what airline was the ticket brought from ( was it Emirates, or Thai Airways etc)  and then that ludicrous example of leaving the country to purchase the ticket.........as if the exact location of the individual while the transaction was made makes a difference!! 

Spending isn't taxable under Thailand PIT. Income is taxable, if declared as income and assessed. 

If you want to declare assessable foreign income that you transferred from one foreign account to another, to pay off a credit card used for a transaction in Thailand, as a remittance of foreign income to Thailand, go ahead.

You'd probably be the first individual to ever do so. 

But the idea of being in another country when the ticket is bought, won't make any difference. 

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I have only ever had one account, 

Right.

So is there any reason you didn't make a single tax related post on this forum between the time the multiple "Tax Guide" threads were created by user Mike Lister, and when that account ceased posting?

Then, when user Mike Lister ceased posting, you immediately became the most active poster on every tax thread created by him?

It's difficult to see that as a coincidence, and that, amongst many other coincidences, is why it keeps being pointed out to you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Right.

So is there any reason you didn't make a single tax related post on this forum between the time the multiple "Tax Guide" threads were created by user Mike Lister, and when that account ceased posting?

Then, when user Mike Lister ceased posting, you immediately became the most active poster on every tax thread created by him?

It's difficult to see that as a coincidence, and that, amongst many other coincidences, is why it keeps being pointed out to you. 

I stopped posting/visiting the forum in 2017 for personal reasons, I returned because the tax issue interested me. 

Interesting that Gant. a committee of one, suggests I now change my name and my posting style and return (now deleted post). Is that what people have to do these days on social media when one member becomes "irritated" by an other and thinks they are somebody else so decides to bully the other person out of using the forum! 

Once again, I have had this name since 2006, I have never held multiple accounts and I am not Mike Lister. But of course you guys will not admit to that being true because you've taken it so far now, do you feel good also since you were the first person to start this stupid game.!

Edited by chiang mai

22 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

so decides to bully the other person out of using the forum! 

Once again, I have had this name since 2006, I have never held multiple accounts and I am not Mike Lister

You're entitled to share your views on tax and am not trying to bully you off the forum.

But please, you can drop the charade of not being the author of the Mike Lister account. Just own it. 

There's coincidence both accounts:

Are mid 70s

Live in Chiang Mai

Both filed thai tax returns in the past

Both worked for PWC 

Both had Thyroid issues, Sriphat Hospital 

Let alone the tax posting behaviour, timing, tone, etc.

It's blindingly obvious you are the author of the Mike Lister account. 

11 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

You're entitled to share your views on tax and am not trying to bully you off the forum.

But please, you can drop the charade of not being the author of the Mike Lister account. Just own it. 

Are mid 70s

Live in Chiang Mai

Both worked for PWC 

Well Mr Holmes, I must admit to not knowing those similarities but it doesn't change the answer or the reality.....I note you didn't deny your ring leader role in all of this You seem to have done a lot of research, perhaps that's why I saw your name in my profile visitors list,e verytime I looked at it, my question is why are you more concerned about individual members than you are about the topic.... there's no question mark because I don't need to know why, it just seems very strange. But bullying? That's exactly what you have been doing and are doing now, you've created your own set of rules and you've whipped support for them. Rule 1 - A member is who he we say he is, there will be no exceptions.  Rule 2 - Members who disagree with zrule 1 will be hounded, ridiculed, baited et al, until they confess. 

If only you could see yourself.

Edit, oh wait, I recall lister worked for Deloitte, I didn't.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

Difficult to address your questions without starting it again, but I'll try.

Of course, this has no Thai tax implications at all for the "someone else", assuming they are a Non resident. 

It has no Thai tax implications for you, either. 

This is an example of the kind of scenario that makes foreign credit card spending simply unenforceable / non auditable. 

You get into the realm of the absurd - Like what airline was the ticket brought from ( was it Emirates, or Thai Airways etc)  and then that ludicrous example of leaving the country to purchase the ticket.........as if the exact location of the individual while the transaction was made makes a difference!! 

Spending isn't taxable under Thailand PIT. Income is taxable, if declared as income and assessed. 

If you want to declare assessable foreign income that you transferred from one foreign account to another, to pay off a credit card used for a transaction in Thailand, as a remittance of foreign income to Thailand, go ahead.

You'd probably be the first individual to ever do so. 

But the idea of being in another country when the ticket is bought, won't make any difference. 

I was hoping for an answer from anyone else,  not exactly you.  Sorry, I am trying to be polite.

12 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Are mid 70s

Live in Chiang Mai

Both worked for PWC 

So what?

I don't care if @chiang maiis Mike Lister or Santa Claus.

I care about what people post.

I am looking at a way that posts of certain people won't even displayed to me, too much useless clutter.

20 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Are mid 70s

Live in Chiang Mai

Both worked for PWC 

And you know what, its always the same three or four people, you and three others, the rest of the membership is silent, why is that?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

So what?

I don't care if @chiang maiis Mike Lister or Santa Claus.

I care about what people post.

I am looking at a way that posts of certain people won't even displayed to me, too much useless clutter.

I deny being Santa Claus too. 🙂

This has tried my patience too much. I have left the existing posts up, but it stops now, I have made numerous moderation comments on the subject and they are being ignored.

So the next poster that can’t discuss the topic and wants to continue with their obsession with accusations about another poster is getting a time out.

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Rule  31. You will not publicly discuss other members or post any member's personal information including but not limited to  emails, social media messages, private messages, photos or website details.

25 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I was hoping for an answer from anyone else,  not exactly you.  Sorry, I am trying to be polite.

FWIW I've just paid £4,500 on my UK Credit card for 2 x MAN-BKK tickets for my parents to come out to visit me, so far nothing to do with TRD as the money is for a service from the UK on a Middle Eastern airline & I get no "Tangible" benefits from it. 

My personal opinion on the different scenarios when it comes to paying the Credit Card bill:-

1. I pay it off from UK Dividends I received last month - Nothing Tax Assessable. 
  2. My parents transfer the money to me in the UK to pay it off - Nothing Tax Assessable.
  3. My parents send me the money to Thailand (Swift, Wise or even bring the cash with them) - Tax Assessable for me. 

It shouldn't matter whether Thailand is capable of finding out whether my parents brought me the cash as we're discussing the rules around remittances not the chances of getting caught doing something shady. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

FWIW I've just paid £4,500 on my UK Credit card for 2 x MAN-BKK tickets for my parents to come out to visit me, so far nothing to do with TRD as the money is for a service from the UK on a Middle Eastern airline & I get no "Tangible" benefits from it. 

My personal opinion on the different scenarios when it comes to paying the Credit Card bill:-

1. I pay it off from UK Dividends I received last month - Nothing Tax Assessable. 
  2. My parents transfer the money to me in the UK to pay it off - Nothing Tax Assessable.
  3. My parents send me the money to Thailand (Swift, Wise or even bring the cash with them) - Tax Assessable for me. 

It shouldn't matter whether Thailand is capable of finding out whether my parents brought me the cash as we're discussing the rules around remittances not the chances of getting caught doing something shady. 

For me at least, the legality is clear, a credit card transaction is legally capable of being regarded as assessable income. The issue of whether TRD would actively pursue that or not seems like a pointless debate because it must  depend on the amounts and the frequency. A one off charge to buy plane tickets for mum and dad gets a check and pas. A daily charge in tens of thousands of baht gets serious scrutiny......and everything inbetween,

• Agree 1