Pedestrian Struck on Crossing by Motorbike: Suffers Broken Ribs and Ruptured Spleen

Georgealbert

On 9/21/2024 at 8:05 PM, Georgealbert said:

However, just as he was halfway across the road, a speeding motorbike approached from the right and collided with him, sending his body flying nearly 10 metres.

Throw the book at him. Can I hope for a couple of years and a hefty fine?

I think the only way to enforce zebra crossings in Thailand is to force it down their throats. Build a crossing together with a couple of low road humps before it to enforce the slowing down of vehicles so that even if drivers did not stop entirely , it is a non fatal accident.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or they would have hit the pedestrian. 

If the pedestrian ran across the road he'd have beat the bike !!!...  loads of whatifery.. 

But...  the fact remains the bike was gunning it down the road without any consideration for the safety of others. 

For some reason some people think Thailand is different and it shouldn't have pedestrian crossings as its lures pedestrians into a false sense of security... How about the Police and legal systems doing a proper job and luring drivers / riders into a genuine sense of road safety and consideration ??? (rhetorical)... 

All of that said - the guy crossing the road had very little regard for his own safety - as others have pointed out, even when crossing, have yer hid in a swivel...   It astonishes me that people will cross a road on a crossing or otherwise without taking far greater caution. 

I am pretty sure I would have saw him coming, and I am pretty positive I would have kicked him off his bike if he came that close to me, self defense. I have kicked a few cars already for getting that close to hitting me in a Zebra crossing. One motorcycle came so close to my daughter and I that I only had time to push the women on the motorcycle using my daughters school bag and a body block. 

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Non-light controlled crossings are poorly defined here. Road markings rarely include zig zag markings to denote no stopping either side and no overtaking on the approach side, or have spotlights to illuminate pedestrians who are crossing, and make up for the poor street lighting in most urban areas.

They also have no Belisha beacons, the oversized flashing orange globes that give drivers warning they are approaching a crossing. 

Along with proper enforcement (a dream I know), and driver and pedestrian education, these economical measures would greatly increase pedestrian safety. 

But because most of the victims are poor, this does not seem a priority for the Government.

20 ft of red and white paint, and a blue triangular Zebra crossing sign, and lets not even mention the fact that the idiot on the motorcycle is speeding down the wrong side of the road. It's not even legal to make a pass over any Zebra crossing, let alone over a solid yellow line on the opposite side of the road against oncoming traffic.

17 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

In response to that tragedy they painted the crossings with red paint

They only did that so it hides the blood of future victims.

Like how Deadpool's suit is also red.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2024 at 3:49 AM, soi3eddie said:

Never stop looking, as pedestrian crossings should only be considered as safe as no crossing IMO.

He looked to the left for oncoming traffic, he shouldn't have to worry about a motorcycle speeding down the wrong side of the road!!!

zebra.jpg

Edited by lordgrinz

On 9/22/2024 at 7:29 AM, Fortunateson said:

People who cause these actions usually have minimal assets and suffer no consequences.  Time to bring back public floggings with the cane to show these dummies what will happen to them.  

To cease their bikes or cars and licences would be as good as well, though a slap is also appropriate in addition.🤗

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thank you grammar police, for pointing out my spelling mistake I barely noticed it.

Naah, no grammar police at all. My ADD just triggered that subtle way to underline an Asean typo. I Use(d) 4 languages and butcher(ed) them all.