Is AI useful?

MarkBR

3 hours ago, Straight-Beginning98 said:

AI is mostly a Search-Copy-Regurgitate IT tool. It does not create anything. As the primary goal of education is to teach how to think, the plagiarism done by AI is kind of going the opposite way, reheating old and sometimes false or exaggerated information. 

Actually it can create if you use it in a controlled environment for research, scientific or application generation and other settings IF you control the data its using. When its used in an open format with access to the internet the data used its no different than what you have access to and is equally flawed in its accuracy as is much if whats available on the internet is inaccurate 

2 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

But must be aware of the limitations.

That Google course puts great emphasis on the limitations and what teachers have to be aware of when using it. And how they can then get the best results from it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, MarkBR said:

Thought this was amusing. https://www.techlearning.com/news/high-school-math-students-used-a-gpt-4-ai-tutor-they-did-worse

Much I have seen seems to be the same that AI seldom helps, except in very limited tasks.  Pattern recognition for detecting cancers, is one good example I can think of.

But for education I doubt they are very useful except for generating examples in English of possible use words or grammar examples to put into questions for students.  Two friends who teach English both use AI to generate examples for teaching then has to spend time correct the AI examples but it is faster than generating stuff from scratch.

Anyone think they may be more useful for education? I have great doubts that AI would help in Thailand, it seems to have far more fundamental issues in its education system that need to be solved first.

AI can be useful, some people use it to to learn foreign languages, to anaylze competitors, to prepare emails, it's a very long list.

The thing that gets me, is that it's not "AI", it's very much human I, because it is human AI Data trainers that are basically inputting the correct data.

It's like a chess computer that is given the correct data by humans and then processes the data faster, that is all. But it is not actual intelligence of the human kind. Humans just put in the data and the model then processes it. 

I therefore am puzzled why Musk and others claim we need to be careful of AI. Yes, it can take jobs, but I don't see how it could take over the world.

• Agree 1