Residence Certificate in Jomtien

XGM

Thanks to everyone who commented. I went today with:

- Passport

- Passport copies (main page, entry stamp, visa page)

- TM30 original and copy

- 2 photos

- Lease agreement copy (just in case)

the officer (table #9) took everything but the lease agreement copy and collected 300 baht (no receipt 😅). I arrived at 14:00, got my residence certificate at 16:00. Easy enough. No need for agents.

Edited by XGM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, johng said:

Thankfully no mention of the type of vehicle so should be ok at the DLT for both,

One residence certificate and one copy was good for 2 licence's (car and bike) at the Pattaya/Banglamung DLT.

12 hours ago, johng said:

One residence certificate and one copy was good for 2 licence's (car and bike) at the Pattaya/Banglamung DLT.

Yes, it is only the lady at immigration, who issues the certificate, who thinks you need one for each licence......and she gets shirty if you try to tell her!

Is the certificate of residence available in Thai only or also in English? I tried to open a foreign bank account and was asked to provide a a certificate of residence (embassy confirmation did not suffice)?

A followup question for this - after I got the residence certificate I proceeded to the Land transport office, just to find out they require a translation of my DL (which includes all the details in English as well, but evidently not good enough for them), certified by my Embassy. By the time I do that (a couple more weeks), will the residence certificate be accepted? I read somewhere it needs be not older than a month.

Edited by XGM
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2024 at 10:29 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Why would he need to go to Jomtien immigration to ask what's needed when I've already posted the info Jomtien immigration give me just yesterday

I got a list of requirements for a non-O visa from Jomtien at the first desk. Came back with all the listed docs. I was given another paper with additional requirements by the dragon lady in the back office. This was in October last year.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2024 at 8:46 PM, XGM said:

after I got the residence certificate I proceeded to the Land transport office, just to find out they require a translation of my DL (which includes all the details in English as well,

Which land Transport Office  (DLT) did you go to ?  and Which country is your drivers license from ?

On 10/21/2024 at 8:46 PM, XGM said:

A followup question for this - after I got the residence certificate I proceeded to the Land transport office, just to find out they require a translation of my DL (which includes all the details in English as well, but evidently not good enough for them), certified by my Embassy.

Not so unusual, I think. I had to get an official Japanese translation of my California DL before I could get a Japanese DL. Not cheap, either.

On 10/21/2024 at 9:02 PM, Peabody said:

I was given another paper with additional requirements by the dragon lady in the back office. This was in October last year.

I'm very glad that a residence certificate  totally avoids  the back office.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I had to get an official Japanese translation of my California DL before I could get a Japanese DL

Another new service from the Thailand 

Department of Land Transportation  ?  :tongue:

1 hour ago, johng said:

Another new service from the Thailand 

Department of Land Transportation  ?  :tongue:

A requirement, not a service. New? I have no idea. I needed a motorbike license in Thailand, so I started from scratch.

The poster seemed surprised, puzzled, and by implication slightly indignant. I offered him perspective. I wouldn't have been the least surprised in Thailand.