Thailand Delays Automated Entry System for Foreign Tourists

webfact

4 hours ago, ronster said:

So will the system register that a QR code has been used or will it let anyone through that has a photo of a scan sent to a legitimate person who applied 😄

This is not how QR codes work. Each QR code is unique and contains information about the person it was issued to.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Says they're postponing automatic entry for foreigners, not the ETA

Fully expect this ETA to proceed as planned and fail real badly, so badly that flights will be cancelled due to the system failing.

Not so sure about that. The proposed ETA enables entry via automatic immigration gates by the use of a QR code. If the use of the gates has been postponed will they not wait until the whole process has been ironed out before implementing?

I am aware that the proposed ETA is also for information obtaining purposes (allowing or declining entry) but I still believe that they will wait until the whole process is up and running. I could be wrong though.

Thailand Delays Automated Entry System for Foreign Tourists

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a surprise.

It is one of the OLD NORMALS here: Things rarely move as fast as stated in their  press release.

So Mai Pen Rai.

I personally feel more comfortable with the visible stamp rather than without it.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I can't even remember why an ETA is required ...........Who's Idea was it and why ?

Yes.

That is a stupid thing to introduce.

Thai govt wants more people from outside into their country.

Why set up needless hurdle which can discourage people who come here to nourish their economy.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system's debut has yet to be determined...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, they are not even sure if they really do it?

While they publicized  it would be coming toward the end off this year(December).

Better keep the current system; manual processing with the desk top PC at the immigration check point instead of complicating things.

Otherwise, it only increases the stress among those in uniform at the frontline.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

As does a passport. so what is the point and why ?

If you let people use it without asking for a QR code, there could be people using it with a non-imm visa for example, although it's specifically intended for VE entries, I guess.

Travelers applying for a QR code will certainly have to acknowledge that this procedure is meant for VE entries only.

Edited by MART

They are going to have to significantly improve processing times for the evisa system before they try implementing. I come to Thailand for 5.5 to 6 months each winter. It took 8 weeks to get an METV last year and 7 weeks the year before. I'm already closing in on 5 weeks this year with no response yet, and getting really frustrated with the system. Agents are telling you to wait until 1 month before arrival to book a condo rental, but you need accomodations confirmed before they will issue the evisa. How is this going to work for people doing border runs on the visa exempt system if you have to get your application submitted 1.5 to 2 months before doing your border run?

• Agree 1

They are going to have to significantly improve processing times for the evisa system before they try implementing. I come to Thailand for 5.5 to 6 months each winter. It took 8 weeks to get an METV last year and 7 weeks the year before. I'm already closing in on 5 weeks this year with no response yet, and getting really frustrated with the system. Agents are telling you to wait until 1 month before arrival to book a condo rental, but you need accomodations confirmed before they will issue the evisa. How is this going to work for people doing border runs on the visa exempt system if you have to get your application submitted 1.5 to 2 months before doing your border run?

1 hour ago, MART said:

This is not how QR codes work. Each QR code is unique and contains information about the person it was issued to.

Seems like a photo would need to be in the system already and the QR matches up to that photo. A different person could use someone else's otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Seems like a photo would need to be in the system already and the QR matches up to that photo. A different person could use someone else's otherwise. 

Not even necessary. The QR code has to match the name of the passport holder, period.

They are going to have to significantly improve processing times for the evisa system before they try implementing. I come to Thailand for 5.5 to 6 months each winter. It took 8 weeks to get an METV last year and 7 weeks the year before. I'm already closing in on 5 weeks this year with no response yet, and getting really frustrated with the system. Agents are telling you to wait until 1 month before arrival to book a condo rental, but you need accomodations confirmed before they will issue the evisa. Total disconnect. Also, how is this going to work for people doing border runs on the visa exempt system if you have to get your application submitted 1.5 to 2 months before doing your border run?

They are going to have to significantly improve processing times for the evisa system before they try implementing. I come to Thailand for 5.5 to 6 months each winter. It took 8 weeks to get an METV last year and 7 weeks the year before. I'm already closing in on 5 weeks this year with no response yet, and getting really frustrated with the system. Agents are telling you to wait until 1 month before arrival to book a condo rental, but you need accomodations confirmed before they will issue the evisa. Total disconnect. Also, how is this going to work for people doing border runs on the visa exempt system if you have to get your application submitted 1.5 to 2 months before doing your border run?

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

Not so sure about that. The proposed ETA enables entry via automatic immigration gates by the use of a QR code. If the use of the gates has been postponed will they not wait until the whole process has been ironed out before implementing?

I am aware that the proposed ETA is also for information obtaining purposes (allowing or declining entry) but I still believe that they will wait until the whole process is up and running. I could be wrong though.

The ETA exists primarily so they can deny boarding to the aircraft to save lots of time when the people who will be denied entry arrive in Thailand. It's the same with all similar schemes, the USA started this mess and tit for tat diplomacy has seen it spread all over the world now.

Lets not fool ourselves for even one minute - this entire system is designed to automate the denial of entry of people they don't want to allow into the country by stopping them from getting on flights heading to Thailand.

I'm glad this doesn't appear to affect people who hold visas.

29 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Why did you post this like 8 times?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

..... and getting really frustrated with the system. 

Not as frustrated as everyone else that you continue to post the exact same words over and over and over again.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Very sorry to hear that.

Absolutely an awful and upsetting experience, isn't it?

So their new ETA could well end up as another mess.

All from the bureaucrats' Empty Pride; so obsessed with harassing foreigners in some means.

They must be upset with the absence of Mutualism: Granting same/even conditions each other.

The 1st world travelers can just drop in here(only valid passport and some money needed in their pockets) by air/land.

But often No Vice-Versa to Thais(other than among ASEAN member states).

To some high-ranking man in the department, the entry requirements gap could look like 19th century Unequal Treaty that disadvantaged them.

That must be why they seek some form of Revenge.

That is my presumption regarding behind-the-scenes psychology.