1 in 3 Children Now Short-Sighted after Covid Lockdowns Study Reveals

Social Media

image.png

A global analysis reveals a worrying trend in children's vision, with one in three now suffering from short-sightedness, or myopia, which impairs their ability to see distant objects clearly. The study suggests that the increased use of screens and reduced outdoor time during Covid lockdowns has contributed to this decline in children's eyesight.

Short-sightedness is becoming a pressing global health concern, with predictions indicating millions more children will be affected by 2050. The highest rates of myopia are seen in Asia, where 85% of children in Japan and 73% in South Korea are already short-sighted. In contrast, countries like Paraguay and Uganda have some of the lowest rates, with just about 1% of children affected. The UK, Ireland, and the US have similar rates at around 15%.

Published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology, the study reviewed data from over five million children and teenagers across 50 countries. The findings show that myopia has tripled between 1990 and 2023, now affecting 36% of children globally. The researchers noted a particularly sharp increase following the Covid pandemic.

Myopia typically begins in primary school years and worsens until the age of about 20, when the eye stops growing. Several factors increase the likelihood of developing the condition, including living in East Asia, genetics, and early exposure to intensive education. In countries like Singapore and Hong Kong, where children often start school as early as two years old, they spend more time focusing on books and screens, which strains their eyes and leads to myopia. In contrast, children in Africa, where formal education starts later, at six to eight years old, are seven times less likely to develop myopia than their Asian counterparts.

The impact of Covid lockdowns, during which millions of children were confined indoors for extended periods, exacerbated the problem. "Emerging evidence suggests a potential association between the pandemic and accelerated vision deterioration among young adults," the researchers explain. By 2050, it is predicted that more than half of the world’s teenagers could be short-sighted.

The study also points to gender differences in the prevalence of myopia. Girls and young women are more likely to be affected than boys and young men, as they tend to spend less time outdoors. Additionally, girls’ earlier onset of puberty contributes to them experiencing short-sightedness at an earlier age. By 2050, it is expected that nearly 69% of children in Asia will be short-sighted, while even developing countries could see rates as high as 40%.

Experts advise parents to encourage their children to spend at least two hours outdoors every day, particularly between the ages of seven and nine, to reduce the risk of myopia. Daniel Hardiman-McCartney, clinical adviser at the UK College of Optometrists, notes, "There is something about being outside that is a real benefit to children." He also recommends regular eye tests for children between the ages of seven and ten, even if they have previously had their vision checked.

Myopia often runs in families, meaning children of short-sighted parents are three times more likely to develop the condition. While myopia cannot be cured, it can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses. Special lenses that slow the progression of myopia in young children are also available, but they come with a high cost. In Asia, where these lenses are popular, innovative approaches like glass classrooms, which simulate outdoor learning environments, are also being used to combat the issue.

The rising rates of myopia among children raise concerns for the future, as it could lead to an increase in age-related eye conditions later in life.

Based on a report from: The Times | BBC | CNN 2024-09-27

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Agreed. Poor decisions from parents. Allowing their children to have and use mobile devices at such young ages.

Not much else to do when the government has locked children in their homes for months on end. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

They didn't though, did they?

Yes they did   closed the beaches,parks,gyms most anything except fast food outlets ( even those eventually forced to online ordering and home delivery)  closed the schools  closed the businesses and said you can work online  as you are not essential workers... screwed over the essential workers when they said they didn't want to take experimental medical concoctions and asked for a pay rise

( yeah so essential then but not now )  one rule for thee and another for me as evidenced numerous times the hypocrites making laws for the plebs  breaking them without a care in the world  over and over again.

The Covid debacle is the worst atrocity in our lifetime so far but have no fear WWIII  is looming to erase the memories.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes they did   closed the beaches,parks,gyms most anything except fast food outlets ( even those eventually forced to online ordering and home delivery)  closed the schools  closed the businesses and said you can work online  as you are not essential workers... screwed over the essential workers when they said they didn't want to take experimental medical concoctions and asked for a pay rise

( yeah so essential then but not now )  one rule for thee and another for me as evidenced numerous times the hypocrites making laws for the plebs  breaking them without a care in the world  over and over again.

The Covid debacle is the worst atrocity in our lifetime so far but have no fear WWIII  is looming to erase the memories.

There were no rules stating everyone had to stay indoors for months on end.

If you think there were, please provide evidence.

Conspiracy theories not accepted.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Not much else to do when the government has locked children in their homes for months on end. 

Quite the contrary, there were plenty of options other than sitting at home.

My favorite sport enjoyed a boom, the healthy choice of exercise and fresh air was too good for many to miss.

https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/made-on-earth/the-great-bicycle-boom-of-2020.html

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yes they did   closed the beaches,parks,gyms most anything except fast food outlets ( even those eventually forced to online ordering and home delivery) 

The beaches on Koh Chang never closed, so eyesight here must be the best in the country, if not the world, we were allowed out, the mask only covered our mouths not our eyes........................................

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The eye issues have been reported for years. It has more to do with the use of mobile phones and tablets long before covid.

100% agree.

My Son has a MetaQuest VR headset... he's not allowed to use it in the week.

But he uses it for a few hours at the weekend...

There are some great games on it that are very acitve, it's almost like exercising indoors with all the movement.

But, the one thing that does concern me is the potentail damage to near sight - but that is offset with the enjoyment he gets out of the the VR headset and the fact that use is not daily.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The eye issues have been reported for years. It has more to do with the use of mobile phones and tablets long before covid.

Patong , I think it has something to do with what you been doing all your life with Mrs Palm and her 5 daughters !

You dirty old man 🥸

everybody say thank you Xi

so what does the future hold ?

I'm turning Japanese chinese I think I'm turning Japanese chinese I really think so
Turning Japanese  I think I'm turning Japanese chinese   I really think so

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

There were no rules stating everyone had to stay indoors for months on end.

If you think there were, please provide evidence.

Conspiracy theories not accepted.

April 220 ..... Since early April, Phuket governor has imposed lockdown measures and advised people to stay indoors as much as possible to curb the spread of the COVID-19. Now we see what the bustling island looks like without the people and activities. Beaches have been closed. Streets have gone empty. The party lights in Patong, perhaps for the first time in decades, turned off.

March 2020 Officials in some of Florida's largest counties, including Miami-Dade, Manatee, Sarasota, Pinellas and Hillsborough, issued ordinances closing their beaches.

March 20203. Extension of Closures, Distancing, and Safety Measures Through May 20, 2020. The orders to prevent transmission of COVID-19 through appropriate distancing and other safety measures listed below are extended through May 20, 2020: a. Executive Order No. 7D, Section 2, imposing limits on restaurant, bar, and private club operations. b. Executive Order No. 7D, Section 3, closing on-site operations at off-track betting facilities. c. Executive Order No. 7D, Section 4, closing operations at gyms, sports, fitness, and recreation facilities and movie theaters. d. Executive Order No. 7F, Section 1, closing large shopping malls. e. Executive Order No. 7F, Section 2, closing places of public amusement. f. Executive Order No. 7H, Section 1, imposing safety and distancing measures for workplaces and non-essential businesses. g. Executive Order No. 7N, Section 1, prohibiting social and recreational gatherings of more than five (5) people. h. Executive Order No. 7N, Section 3, restricting retail operations.

want another 50 or so ?