Tipping Grab Food Delivery Driver

AsiaTraveler1234

I often order Grab Food Delivery and pay with the credit card tied to my account. It always makes for a seamless and efficient food delivery process.

Upon completion of each delivery, Grab always asks me to rate the delivery driver, and then it gives me myriad tip options.

I'm curious how much, if any, people generally tip when ordering Grab food delivery and are prompted with all the tipping options.

I usually tip THB 20, but I recently tried Food Panda and it says "most popular option" under the THB 10 tipping box.

Personally, I hate tipping and wish they would just set the proper price and not solicit for tips (like most things in my home country, Australia) so that customers aren't paying different prices for the same product or service resulting in differential treatment from employees.

Grab recently implemented 3% (Thailand) and 4% (Vietnam) foreign transaction fees on credit card payments, which is also offputting and made me install the Food Panda app recently which doesn't do that.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, AsiaTraveler1234 said:

I am in Jomtien Beach (Pattaya area) and Food Panda here still lists THB 10 as "most popular' tip option, so I usually select that option for that reason. When in Rome.

Interesting. Yes you're right it does currently say 10. Perhaps it temporarily said 20 before. They don't offer a 30 option so it jumps from 20 to 40. So sometimes I'll do the 20 when paying online and if the service was exceptionally good like very long ride, rain, super quick etc. I'll give them an extra 20 on arrival. I could give an extra 10 but coins feel unseemly. When I do thst its embarrassing how greatful.they are  Not judging you but I do think 10 total is really not good enough.

On Grab you can choose a custom amount so I pay 25 or 30 which is paid after delivery unlike Panda.

Occasionally the service is crap like they make two other deliveries before and the food is cold in which case I don't tip at all.

I do wonder if the drivers have access to customer tipping records. If they do I would expect them to avoid non tippers.

While I'm against tipping American style percentage of check in Thailand I still do very much appreciate how affordable delivery services are here in comparison and also that doing bike deliveries is hazardous and underpaid work. What's a luxury service there is much more widely accessible here.

Edited by Jingthing

I always tip Grab or any delivery driver 20 baht.

I was using my credit card for Grab taxis and food, but after noticing that the taxi drivers were padding the bill, I'm back to paying with cash.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you're a decent person you will tip a Grab or a Food Panda driver, they make nine baht per delivery from what I'm told, which is barely a living wage. The 20 baht does not mean much to us, but it means an awful lot to them.

Not only that but tipping keeps the heart open, which is a nice quality to have. 

Hear, hear!

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you tip other deliveries like Kerry etc.. I normally let them keep loose change from COD, but the other night at 7.30pm in pissing rain I got a Kerry delivery and gave him 20b. My generosity has no bounds init.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

20 Baht does't go very far in Thailand.

Correct.

But 15 times 20B = 300B which is the minimum salary which many people receive.

So, if a delivery driver gets only 20B tip per delivery and he delivers only 2 times per hour all day long then he still makes 2x8x20=320THB tip.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, AsiaTraveler1234 said:

I often order Grab Food Delivery and pay with the credit card tied to my account. It always makes for a seamless and efficient food delivery process.

Upon completion of each delivery, Grab always asks me to rate the delivery driver, and then it gives me myriad tip options.

I'm curious how much, if any, people generally tip when ordering Grab food delivery and are prompted with all the tipping options.

I usually tip THB 20, but I recently tried Food Panda and it says "most popular option" under the THB 10 tipping box.

Personally, I hate tipping and wish they would just set the proper price and not solicit for tips (like most things in my home country, Australia) so that customers aren't paying different prices for the same product or service resulting in differential treatment from employees.

Grab recently implemented 3% (Thailand) and 4% (Vietnam) foreign transaction fees on credit card payments, which is also offputting and made me install the Food Panda app recently which doesn't do that.

My family pay for food deliveries COD, mostly using scan, plus a 20Baht / 40Baht cash tip direct to the mocy driver. Works well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxx58 said:

I always tip Grab or any delivery driver 20 baht.

I was using my credit card for Grab taxis and food, but after noticing that the taxi drivers were padding the bill, I'm back to paying with cash.

How do they pad the bill when paying with credit cards? 🤔 I always know the total cost before I place the order, whether taxi or food, which is why I use Grab, Bolt, Food Panda, Lineman, etc.