How many here on the Farang Pub hope to die in Thailand?

GammaGlobulin

On 9/28/2024 at 4:02 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

If you are like me, then you will have probably given this question much thought in recent years.

Where do you hope to die?

For me, it's a no-brainer....Thailand is where I hope to die.

I am not saying that I often think of dying.

I am only saying that I love Thailand so much that I hope to die here.

Also, I am not so young that I want to travel around the world, just looking for some other place to die.

Thailand, after over a decade of non-stop life here, without leaving, is still the place to die....for me.

There are very few better places to die.

And, dying here has the potential to provide reincarnation, as well.

Here in Thailand, we can enjoy a much more laid-back dying experience.

Death, here in Thailand, is far less to be feared, unlike some places, where they try to keep you alive....until...

The very bitter end, which is always a bitter experience, or so I have been told.

I think that guys like me are lucky to be in Thailand, waiting to die here, when the time is ripe.

I will not be sorry to never return to my home country, or to....  The Main Line......

Death on the Main Line would be far less cheerful, IMHO.

Here in Thailand, I find the prospect of dying far less distasteful.....

What about you?

Are you, as I, equally hopeful of dying in Thailand?

No.

I am not saying that this must happen tomorrow.

And, I expect to die here in Thailand.....maybe.....

In the year 2062....

A year, I predict, will be 1.5 degrees C...hotter than now.

Any good thoughts about dying?

Best regards,

Gamma

2030 would be just great, AFAIAC.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you know that because?

Lack of evidence and proof. I myself have been alive 68 years, and have met many thousands of people, and never have had any of them say they've had a past life, let alone with any proof of same.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Schoolgirls are the wrong path to travel, because they are girls and as such change their minds every five minutes. Commitment is an unknown quality. A more mature Japanese lady is superior, even if only as a friend with benefits; perhaps a career woman looking for a spot of fun on the side.

Unlike in western countries, they apparently don't turn into land whales soon as they turn 18, and continue to be feminine. Win win.

I lived in the US 62 years, and saw hundreds of thousands of women over 18 who were slim and pretty. I don't understand this thinking of western women as all being fat. True, the majority of westerners are overweight, but that leaves many that aren't. Thailand itself is gaining on the west as far as people being overweight, and climbing daily, so the whole world will suffer this problem eventually, as people do like to eat.

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I love LOS, if I had the money it'd be Japan every time.

It's the world capital of Anime, which I love.

It's still traditional in part.

It's still civilised as it hasn't invited the alien hordes in.

I'd like to live in a rural community where they are polite to one another, and have consideration for others, unlike the undisciplined thugs that blight western countries.

If you moved there, wouldn't you be a part of that alien horde?

Just now, fredwiggy said:

I lived in the US 62 years, and saw hundreds of thousands of women over 18 who were slim and pretty. I don't understand this thinking of western women as all being fat. True, the majority of westerners are overweight, but that leaves many that aren't. Thailand itself is gaining on the west as far as people being overweight, and climbing daily, so the whole world will suffer this problem eventually, as people do like to eat.

I don't live in the US.

Anyway, are they feminine or just slim and pretty?

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. I always wanted to live out the rest of my in LOS, and die there. It was the biggest blow of my life when I couldn't. I only go on this forum to keep a connection with LOS alive.

I can completely understand your comment, and your sentiment.

I ain't never leaving.

And, if I had to leave, then I would just head for Japan.......Plan B.

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

I can completely understand your comment, and your sentiment.

I ain't never leaving.

And, if I had to leave, then I would just head for Japan.......Plan B.

If you want to live in Japan you must be really rich. That is why I never got there.

In the 70s I had the choice of skiing at St Anton or going on a tour of Asia including Japan. I picked the wrong option.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Feminine, slim and pretty, besides the occasional Karen.

Nice. Pity I never want to visit the US.

I had the opportunity to work in the US or in Saudi, but I chose Saudi as it paid better. Perhaps I made the wrong choice, but that option has long gone.

I worked in Saudi with a few American nurses, and one was spectacularly obese. There was one good looking one but she only went to marry a Saudi royal. She was literally a gold digger judging by the amount of gold she was given.

I only have news and movies to go on and the above are in short supply, except on movies, where only the best looking get to act.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Nice. Pity I never want to visit the US.

I had the opportunity to work in the US or in Saudi, but I chose Saudi as it paid better. Perhaps I made the wrong choice, but that option has long gone.

I worked in Saudi with a few American nurses, and one was spectacularly obese. There was one good looking one but she only went to marry a Saudi royal. She was literally a gold digger judging by the amount of gold she was given.

I only have news and movies to go on and the above are in short supply, except on movies, where only the best looking get to act.

Movies and videos are what they want you to see, although more and more regular everyday people have been actors for a long time now. And many actors don't look in person like they do on screen. Makeup and filters help a lot. Also, many actors get into good shape for a role, then go back to what they really are afterwards. There are people in movies that you wonder how they got there, as they aren't handsome or pretty. It's because over the years movie makers realized the world isn't filled with the glamorous but regular people, so they started putting them in more. I worked out in gyms for 45 years before I came here, and saw many really beautiful women there, along with the regular types that were overweight. Every country has beautiful women, and those that aren't, and sadly, more and more are gaining weight yearly, because the desire to eat far outweighs the desire to stay slim.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you know that because?

That's easy, no real scientific evidence. Of all the billions of people and other living creatures that have died, they have stayed dead and didn't turn into anything else!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Working for 20 years in Thailand, now retired since 12 years, living in Manila and will stay there until my days are gone. Back to Europe is out of question. 

So ...

Why Manila after having lived in Thailand for 20 years???

17 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

That's easy, no real scientific evidence. Of all the billions of people and other living creatures that have died, they have stayed dead and didn't turn into anything else!

But "Somebody" thinks otherwise???

Evidence perhaps?

I'd like to die at home here in a Thai village with all our rescued cats around. We have 26 now. While most will have died if I live another 22 years until I'm 90, I expect that the number might be similar because my wife and I never say no to kittens in desperate need.

1 minute ago, renaissanc said:

I'd like to die at home here in a Thai village with all our rescued cats around. We have 26 now. While most will have died if I live another 22 years until I'm 90, I expect that the number might be similar because my wife and I never say no to kittens in desperate need.

After you die, you may return as one of your kittens.

Stranger things have been known to happen.

On 9/28/2024 at 1:44 PM, soalbundy said:

Why? It's isn't as if you'll be aware of where your ashes are.

I'm aware now, and it matters to me. I think there's nothing sadder than touring a Colonial era cemetry in Asia and seeing the names of all the people who died far from their homelands, and are buried in foreign soil. I'm interested in their histories, and often look up their names on the internet. But all too often such graves and graveyards are terribly neglected, with weeds and plant overgrowth, toppled headstones, and a general air of abandonment. A disrespected, and ignominious end to brilliant lives.

Also there's the simple fact that my family would probably appreciate having a place to go to where they can 'visit' me, or feel some closeness, even after my death. I feel that need for my own parents and relatives.

My female partner (an Asian girl) had her mothers body cremated on the instructions of her father. He also arranged for the ashes to be scattered in the sea. Now my lady weeps when she thinks of it, and deeply regrets following his instructions. She pines for a memorial, a gravestone to go to, to pay her respects, and feel some closeness to her mother. I'm sorry now that I didn't advise her against it. Now I realise the importance of a physical memorial for relatives. It aids the greaving process.

One other thing - I guess many of you should also consider the tax implications of where you are when you die. For my homeland I am Non (Tax) Resident, and they have no claim to any inheritance taxes on my estate. Those taxes are pure robbery in many western nations, and hard to escape - maybe impossible in some, like the UK for example. Once the UK Inland Revenue have their hooks in you there's practically no escape. They own you even after death abroad.

I paid income taxes all my life, at top rates, often over 50%. The assests I managed to accumulate were worked hard for, and bought from taxed income. I got little benefit in return - my son is being charged full overseas tuition rates in University in my homeland in spite of all the money I handed over to them in punitive taxes. I was never a burden on the State, and he didn't even attend junior school there.

I feel highly aggreived, and there's no way they are ever going to get another penny in taxes from me - ESPECIALLY NOT INHERITANCE TAX.

That's all for Him and my descendants.

Edited by Flyguy330

In my final years I plan on returning to my home country. I was born in my home country and I'll die in my home country. Plus I feel I might have a lot of medical bills toward the end of my life and in my home country my medical/healthcare is 100% free. This way I can make sure my son receives all of my money, instead of giving it all to a Thai Hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't give a <deleted> where I will die and what they will do with my dead body.
What I care about is where I want to live my last years and where I would get the best care.
And that place is not Thailand.
The countries of the European  provides me with FREE HEALTHCARE when I get at an age that I would be dependent on others in daily life (also free services like free meals at home, free home care, free cleaning services, etc.)
Thailand "was" a nice country to live in 20 years ago, but I don't want to reach an age where I would be dependent on others in this country.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I don't give a <deleted> where I will die and what they will do with my dead body.
What I care about is where I want to live my last years and where I would get the best care.
And that place is not Thailand.
The countries of the European  provides me with FREE HEALTHCARE when I get at an age that I would be dependent on others in daily life (also free services like free meals at home, free home care, free cleaning services, etc.)
Thailand "was" a nice country to live in 20 years ago, but I don't want to reach an age where I would be dependent on others in this country.

It may be free in some european countries, but from all I'm hearing and reading the standards are abysmal, with long delays for non-urgent treatment or testing and deadly delays for emergency treatment (people regularly dying while waiting in Casualty, or being sent home with incorrect diagnoses to soondie).

In Asia I have NEVER had to wait to be seen by a Dr in an emergency, and have never been put on a waiting list to get non-urgent treatment.

Sure, I have Med Ins and pay for it big time, but you know what they say about free stuff? It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Nothing.

Edited by Flyguy330

1 hour ago, Flyguy330 said:

I'm aware now, and it matters to me. I think there's nothing sadder than touring a Colonial era cemetry in Asia and seeing the names of all the people who died far from their homelands, and are buried in foreign soil. I'm interested in their histories, and often look up their names on the internet. But all too often such graves and graveyards are terribly neglected, with weeds and plant overgrowth, toppled headstones, and a general air of abandonment. A disrespected, and ignominious end to brilliant lives.

Also there's the simple fact that my family would probably appreciate having a place to go to where they can 'visit' me, or feel some closeness, even after my death. I feel that need for my own parents and relatives.

My female partner (an Asian girl) had her mothers body cremated on the instructions of her father. He also arranged for the ashes to be scattered in the sea. Now my lady weeps when she thinks of it, and deeply regrets following his instructions. She pines for a memorial, a gravestone to go to, to pay her respects, and feel some closeness to her mother. I'm sorry now that I didn't advise her against it. Now I realise the importance of a physical memorial for relatives. It aids the greaving process.

This is a very interesting comment.

Why don't you flesh it out, and create an even more interesting Topic?

I think there are many among us who enjoy roaming cemeteries, reading the headstones, and wondering.....What If.....

I think we find fascination in the fact that...... there but for the grace of God, go we.

Personally, I prefer to just visit.

=========

In the past, I had often thought of buying up old headstones and planting them in my garden, just as a curiosity to passersby.

I do like reading the inscriptions....much!

Also, in Taiwan, most of the better headstones have ceramic tiles with an image of the individual who lies beneath.

Crikey and then folk, monks etc will have to sit around for 3/ 5 days depending on wealth, playing cards,drinking etc,

UK council house dead, police bloke outside 

4 / 5 hours, then off to the mortuary,

Guy next door, 

Just before new years eve!😰😰😰