Turning Down The Full Expat Deal In Thailand

GuestHouse

Turning down the full expat deal in Thailand  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's striking to me how intolerant some of the posters are about GH's having taken the job in SA, and I wonder if they still feel that way so many months later.

Geez, the guy was only taking a reasonably comfortable, accompanied job for a short while. And he noted he'll likely retire in his mid-fifties. Is that really so extreme that the 'live life poor but happy' crowd had to go after him? Does that make him a crazed, selfish workaholic?

Isn't the world big enough for different people to live life, well, differently? And with no one right way?

I suppose what I take away from this post is the importance of not getting too isolated from the world in terms of one's perspective. For example, some posters here seem to think a pension of 200,000 Baht/mo is so high. Agreed it's more than needed, but about $80k US per year is not so uncommon these days in the Western world. Again, ok not to make anything like it, in retirement or even now, but it's rather clueless not to understand how common such a pay rate is in the richer Western countries.

To each his or her own. Cheers.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I suggest above, my work on this project here in Saudi Arabia is nearly, I had a meeting to discuss close out and completion yesterday, a chance to set things in motion for my next project and reflect on what has been a very enjoyable (and rewarding) assignment.

come on GuestHouse, tell us the truth! does that mean you did not experience any of the negative rubbish which was presented here over and over for months (most of it from participants who never set a foot on saudi sand)? you were not arrested by Muttawas for poking your nose in a one-way-street during Ramadan? you were not flogged because you bought once in a while a bottle of Black Label or a good Cognac on the black market? your wife stayed with you and did not shout "talaq! talaq! talaq!" at you? your children did not start peeing in their beds because they were scared by those bad Saudis 24hours a day? you were not living in a tent but in a proper airconditioned home?

:o

As somebody who knows nothing about being an expat in Saudi can I ask why foreigners there live in compounds? Is it by choice or because of restrictions?

After a few incidents resulting in the death of more than a few westerners, the Saudi authorities insisted westerners move onto more secure compounds. Some employers already had leased compounds for their workers as part of the contract.

Depending on your employer, these compounds can range from very secure to lightly guarded mini villages. They’re easy to see as they generally have concrete blocks along the footpath, high walls covered in razor wire, surveillance cameras, machinegun pits and sometimes military vehicles fitted with a 50 cal machine gun patrolling the perimeters.

The lifestyle inside could be likened to living in a small western village. Many compounds have swimming pools, restaurants, mini marts, gyms, hairdressers, kindergartens and other facilities.

As I suggest above, my work on this project here in Saudi Arabia is nearly, I had a meeting to discuss close out and completion yesterday, a chance to set things in motion for my next project and reflect on what has been a very enjoyable (and rewarding) assignment.

come on GuestHouse, tell us the truth! does that mean you did not experience any of the negative rubbish which was presented here over and over for months (most of it from participants who never set a foot on saudi sand)? you were not arrested by Muttawas for poking your nose in a one-way-street during Ramadan? you were not flogged because you bought once in a while a bottle of Black Label or a good Cognac on the black market? your wife stayed with you and did not shout "talaq! talaq! talaq!" at you? your children did not start peeing in their beds because they were scared by those bad Saudis 24hours a day? you were not living in a tent but in a proper airconditioned home?

:o

doctor, anyone who spends good money on a bottle of black label deseves to be flogged, not because its against the law, but for being a philistine.biggrin.gif

Getting back to the original subject if I may.

The last thing I want to do in Thailand is work.

For all you dreamers, consider this - 5 days a week teaching for the princely sum of 40,000 B a month in blistering heat with no

aircon - to classes with a majority of people who really don't care if they learn or not. Is this your idea of heaven?

No thanks, I can earn that over here part time in one week and take a long chill out in Thailand without having to worry about

hassling for everything I need at Thai (I mean not farang)prices because I'm on a Thai budget.

I signed on the line yesterday for 15 months in the dusty desert (Saudi Arabia) and in doing so turned down 30+ months of assignment (Plus full expat deal) in Thailand.

'Well' I thought 'I've been there, done that and I've got the T-shirt (not to mention a delightfull Thai wife)'.

I'm pleased to say, my wife thought the same (and yes I did ask her for her opinion before I signed).

Having spent 7 years in SA and married to a Thai, I recommend you make provisions for your wife's safety if she accompanies you. The cuture does not respect asians and Thai women are frequently assaulted on the streets and in compounds. Never let her go out alone.

doctor, anyone who spends good money on a bottle of black label deseves to be flogged, not because its against the law, but for being a philistine.biggrin.gif

it seems i was lucky having never been flogged in nearly six years. i hardly ever touched alcohol before moving to Saudi Arabia. but after a few months (it was Christmas time) i bought a bottle of top notch french Cognac. perhaps because their wasn't really any other luxury item on which one could waste a few hundred dollars to compensate for the initial frustration working in a chaos. but that was a looooong time ago when we worked 7 days a week, 12-14 hours a day... and of course minted money :D

for what it's worth. since 20 years my wife and me visit Saudi Arabia once a year to visit old friends. sometimes my wife takes a trip alone. and if we had a choice we would be living instead of Thailand in the most beautiful city on this planet, which we think is Jeddah! needless to say that both of us seem to be mentally impaired :o

For all you dreamers, consider this - 5 days a week teaching for the princely sum of 40,000 B a month in blistering heat with no

aircon - to classes with a majority of people who really don't care if they learn or not. Is this your idea of heaven?

No thanks, I can earn that over here part time in one week and take a long chill out in Thailand without having to worry about

hassling for everything I need at Thai (I mean not farang)prices because I'm on a Thai budget.

Ummm . with respect qwertz, there are more jobs here than 30-40k a month teachers. We're not all bindippers, you know.

How come you signed on for 15 months in August 2007 and now in May 2008 you are talking demobilisation? Yours must be the only project in construction history completed in half the contract period???

I've worked in Saudi for 10 years which gave me a good financial base, but having worked out of Saudi for 10 years in SEA I've had higher salary and better living standads and saved more than I earned in Saudi. So no way back there for me.

Ummm . with respect qwertz, there are more jobs here than 30-40k a month teachers. We're not all bindippers, you know.

Yep. The oil and gas business here is also paying the going expat salary rate too, right now. :o

How come you signed on for 15 months in August 2007 and now in May 2008 you are talking demobilisation? Yours must be the only project in construction history completed in half the contract period???

Remember to take all claims made on internet web boards on how much money people make (wages, income from investments, profits from gambling, income from property) with a large dose of salt.

It's not the truth that matters... what matters is do we have fun reading it. :o

(Only joking GH! :D )

Edited by burman

Or maybe I signed on for an assignment based on a standard set of terms and conditions that allow for a contingency that is not now necessary... Let's focus on the early close out bonus...

Your close out bonus is of no interest to us GH. :o

What is interesting is where your next assignment will likely be.

That's England, Thailand, Italy and Saudi Arabia (quite a cross section of societies really when you think about it!) you've lived and worked in, where next?

Edited by burman

I've worked in Saudi for 10 years which gave me a good financial base, but having worked out of Saudi for 10 years in SEA I've had higher salary and better living standads and saved more than I earned in Saudi. So no way back there for me.

You obviously don't read the Oil & Gas Journal. Every project is completed within schedule and under budget even the project from hel_l you just completed a year late and twice the original cost.

All my contracts I've ever signed had the word "approximately" after the stated duration.

What is interesting is where your next assignment will likely be.

I'd be interested to know too.... But I'll let you in on a secret, just like claims on the internet of how much money people are making - statements in this industry on where the next assignment is going to be are meaningless.

The only time I've ever been sure that I am going on assignment somewhere is when I feel the back of my seat pushing me down the runway..... but I will keep you posted.

---

Phil has a point - The jobs not over until the shouting stops ... and then all of a sudden we are all best friends again.

--

Oh Phil, let's not forget the 'Safety Stats'... they go in the same bin as those claims about income/savings and investments.

Yep. The oil and gas business here is also paying the going expat salary rate too, right now. :o

How about setting up a poll, Im to lazy to work it out!

I for one would be interested how many westerners in Thailand on 200-250,000B, 250-300,000B, 300-350,000B, 350-400,000B, 400-450,000B, 450-500,000B and 500,000B plus monthly.

I for one would be interested how many westerners in Thailand on 200-250,000B, 250-300,000B, 300-350,000B, 350-400,000B, 400-450,000B, 450-500,000B and 500,000B plus monthly.

I for one wouldn't believe the responses to the poll.

I know of about 100 that are on 400k+ because they work for my company and I know what they all make. Very good chance we will double that number in the next year.

I know of another company that probably has at least 200 now.

TH

Edited by thaihome

They don't understand Guesthouse, most of us who worked there for any extended period of time, know. You don't date the Middle East, you Marry her. Once you get in its great and its hard to get out. 7 years for me and even though My roots are here in Thailand now, I will always have a home, business, and family in the Middle East.

Edited by Huey

I know of about 100 that are on 400k+ because they work for my company and I know what they all make. Very good chance we will double that number in the next year.

TH

Boiler room by any chance 5555

TH

Boiler room by any chance 5555

Would agree with Jay Jay......know plenty westerners in the Thai O&G game who are on around THB 450K to THB 500K a month, and even some around the THB 750K to THB THB1 mil/month...

To keep O&G expats in Thailand, the rates are comparable with most places...even better.... packages if structured correctly..

The biggest issue facing expats working O&G in Thailand is the push for nationalisation, which is happening more and more...

I work in the Thai O&G game, and have for many years and prefer working here than some toilet in the middle east or Africa, the moneys the same, less hassle and you can have something which resembles a "normal life".....hopefully will manage to stay employed in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam till retirement...if not have to go to plan "B" and have to work in the "toilets"....as you have to go where the money is...

You obviously don't read the Oil & Gas Journal. Every project is completed within schedule and under budget even the project from hel_l you just completed a year late and twice the original cost.

All my contracts I've ever signed had the word "approximately" after the stated duration.

I wouldn't sign a contract that was not for a fixed term and have never been presented with one that is otherwise by any company.

So you don't want any teachers responding to the Poll?

I wouldn't sign a contract that was not for a fixed term and have never been presented with one that is otherwise by any company.

In my experience working as an expat in many places round the world, the contracts presented are not worth the paper they are written on anyway, if working in a country as an expat and they want to get rid of you they will do so...forget about sueing for breach of contract etc...you won't anywhere...as stated "approx" is always used on the duration..

I have worked in the O&G field in the middle east for 14 years. The money I make is triple what I can make anywhere else, but for recreation I have to got to Thailand or Europe. But lucky both are equidistant from the middle east, around 6 hours flight in either direction. If the money is good GH, and you and your family are happy, that is what counts.

btw: I am my own boss and contract/manufacture for other companies

In my experience working as an expat in many places round the world, the contracts presented are not worth the paper they are written on anyway, if working in a country as an expat and they want to get rid of you they will do so...forget about sueing for breach of contract etc...you won't anywhere...as stated "approx" is always used on the duration..

Well I must be most unfortunate that in 25 years working as an expat for a dozen international companies I have never seen the word 'approx' on a contract duration, and neither would I expect to.

Sorry, Bendix and Kmart - call me dumb but all I can do is languages and who needs more than bad Thai or broken English over there?

Everything I know about the O&G sector I could paint on a postage stamp with a broom.

BTW, nice to see you're still around Bendix, always a pleasure to to catch a little incisive input.