Man Bitten by Snake During Night Hike, Uses Folk Medicine to Survive

IMG_6131.jpeg

A man recently shared a harrowing experience on TikTok, after being bitten by a snake during a nighttime hike in the mountains, sparking widespread debate online. The man, identified as TikTok user @arunsrisuwan512, posted a video describing his ordeal after being bitten by a venomous green pit viper while searching for fish in the Banthat mountain range, Phatthalung.

The video, which he called his "final clip from the trip," shows him using traditional survival methods passed down through his family to address the snake bite. The man explained that the snake bit him on his foot, causing immediate swelling. In response, he tied a vine-like plant above the bite and applied herbal remedies to the area. He also took painkillers to alleviate joint and leg pain, with the goal of making it down the mountain and getting to a hospital.

In the clip, the man describes his injury: “The snake bit me on the back of my foot. The inner sole hasn’t swollen yet, but the outer side has. I used an herbal vine to tie around my ankle, applied some green oil, and took painkillers to reduce the pain. I just need to walk home first, then I’ll head to the hospital.” 

He recounted that the incident occurred after he had finished setting up fishing traps and was preparing for the next activity when the snake struck. He was later treated at the hospital for seven days before being discharged to recover at home.

Once the video went viral, many netizens voiced their concerns, with some warning against his use of a tight vine around the ankle, a traditional remedy for snake bites. Commenters advised that this method can worsen the injury, increasing the risk of severe tissue damage. Several users suggested immobilising the bitten area instead of tying it off to prevent further harm.

One commenter shared a personal story: “Tying the area is outdated and dangerous knowledge. My younger sibling was once bitten by a cobra. What made it worse was the necrosis caused by tying the leg, leading to surgery to remove dead tissue and replace it with healthy tissue from the thigh. It was a painful experience, especially for a five-year-old child.”

The man who posted the video is known to be a descendant of a family of traditional healers, specializing in snake bite treatments passed down through generations. His grandmother is the fourth-generation practitioner, and it appears that the fifth generation of this knowledge will be inherited by him.

Picture taken from TikTok video below.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-29

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

...here's a cautious guy! Remember to take painkillers with you when hiking isn't obvious

I've got those in my pack.  It's the "green oil" I'm wondering about.  

The man who posted the video is known to be a descendant of a family of traditional healers, specializing in snake bite treatments passed down through generations.

Infomercial?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

shows him using traditional survival methods passed down through his family to address the snake bite.

What are these "traditional survival methods passed down throughhis famiily"  He could make a killing with this information.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

One commenter shared a personal story: “Tying the area is outdated and dangerous knowledge. My younger sibling was once bitten by a cobra. What made it worse was the necrosis caused by tying the leg, leading to surgery to remove dead tissue and replace it with healthy tissue from the thigh. It was a painful experience, especially for a five-year-old child.”

But his grandma told him...  🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

In response, he tied a vine-like plant above the bite and applied herbal remedies to the area. He also took painkillers to alleviate joint and leg pain,

So he already had the 'herbal remedies' with him, and Any vine could be used as a tourniquet. And now he has even more clicks on his Tic Toc .................:coffee1:

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Herbal Green Oil. I have three bottles of it for mosquito bites.

53 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Herbal Green Oil. I have three bottles of it for mosquito bites.

Yes, but this  was about a snake bite.

7 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Yes, but this  was about a snake bite.

Really. So the fact that Green Oil used by this dude here for snakebite can also be used for skeeters isnt relevant?

What is with you people?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, roo860 said:

All venomous snakes could deliver dry bites. Estimates show that 20-25% of all pit viper bites and 50% of Coral Snake bites are dry bites.

6 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The inner sole hasn’t swollen yet, but the outer side has

So you swell up with a dry bite.

i doubt it mate.

• Confused 1

There is a problem for some time in Thailand with snakes bites and all other bites as well…….While traditional healers play an important cultural role in Thailand, victims delay in seeking medical help for bites preferring local healers or traditional medication.

This often results in worsened outcomes, including higher risks of amputation, long-term disability, and death. Public health efforts are ongoing to address this issue by promoting better education, faster medical response, and integration between traditional and modern healthcare systems.

3 hours ago, watchcat said:

I have to agree whith this

Even if the snake does a dry bite a small amount of residual venom may have got it. Also a snakes mouth contains a lot of bacteria.

imagine what you would look like if I stuck a couple of dirty nails or spikes into your foot.....or have you ever trodden on a spiky vine in the tropics - wounds quickly become infected.Also even without a bite, if you put a tourniquet around your ankle your foot will quickly swell up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

after being bitten by a venomous green pit viper 

OK - o we take his ID of the snake as gospel?

I don't think it actually changes the argument either way - the point is that "traditional" medications don't work and often exacerbate the situation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Could have been what is known as a dry bite

This has already been mentioned. Up to 50% of pit-viper bites can be "dry" - or only a small amount injected the absence of symptoms doesn't guarantee that no venom was injected. Some symptoms might develop later. Though dry bites generally result in no venom or very little being injected, there's always the possibility of minimal venom release, making it crucial to monitor symptoms after any snakebite.

Even without significant venom, a snakebite can still lead to significant complications due to bacterial infections or other contaminants including tetanus – this guy may still require proper medical attention.

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

So you swell up with a dry bite.

i doubt it mate.

You most certainly will swell up with a dry bite - they are very likely to be bacteria and of toxins even residual venom - the guy certainly needs a check up.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, kwilco said:

OK - o we take his ID of the snake as gospel?

I don't think it actually changes the argument either way - the point is that "traditional" medications don't work and often exacerbate the situation.

No, it was a venomous pit viper and his traditional medicine cured him.

That you think that a traditional methods can not work just shows your ignorance. Half that muck Big Pharma sells is to make money, traditional medicine is all about the cure.

26 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

No, it was a venomous pit viper and his traditional medicine cured him.

That you think that a traditional methods can not work just shows your ignorance. Half that muck Big Pharma sells is to make money, traditional medicine is all about the cure.

As I said I'm not debating that in fact pit vipers for various reasons are the most common source of snake bites in Thailand.

- but one thing we can be sure of is that traditional medicine didn't cure him. Many people in Thailand dies every year from bites because they delay taking proper treatment by going first to the local healer. THis guy WAS a local healer and is using to incident to promote his quackery.

PS - how do you think it "cured" him? 

Edited by kwilco