Kemi Badenoch on Immigration: 'Not All Cultures Are Equal'

Social Media

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

If they crossed multiple countries to get to one country you have to ask if the are really asylum seekers rather than country shoppers. If they are making false claims in an attempt to be granted asylum, then they are making false declarations and are criminals and benefits cheats.

e.g. I fail to understand how any Ukrainian who is not eligible for military service is in any way a legitimate asylum seeker - Ukraine is a vast country, those who are genuinely fleeing war can be resettled in areas where the war is "right over the other side of the country" as one Ukrainian told me.

Well while you entertain yourself with that, it’s not what the law says.

The Thai government refers to me as a non-immigrant and requires me to apply to extend my non- immigrant visa on an annual basis. In my opinion the UK should have applied a similar system many years ago. 

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone wants to immigrate to a country, and not just live there as most farangs in Thailand do, they should be prepared to become part of the community they join. The community should not have to accept their culture, whatever it is.

If they ain't prepared to do that, they should not be allowed to become citizens.

Cannot agree as I think you are too strident. Having some cross cultural experience and a study of history, I observe it is not like flicking a light switch. It takes time to adjectival to “culture shock”. That includes not only trying to learn a new language, adjusting to diet and acceptable eating expectations. Some will live together in enclaves like some foreign locations with Americans huddled together … As an American, I observe we still maintain “little” … Italy, Hungary, Russia (Brighten Beach in NYC comes immediately to mind). The new cultures also change the native culture … I recall the condemnation of Germans coming to the USA bringing their pagan Christmas customs … we would not have an American Christmas without that imported Christmas Tree tradition. Sorry,  I spent a good amount of time talking to my American students of American History about immigration movements into the USA. Not the policies under various administrations but more about the influence of the incoming groups and the reaction to them.

49 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The Thai government refers to me as a non-immigrant and requires me to apply to extend my non- immigrant visa on an annual basis. In my opinion the UK should have applied a similar system many years ago. 

There is a system just like that in UK, other than it's every 2.5 years and not annually.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

There is a system just like that in UK, other than it's every 2.5 years and not annually.

Yes but if you can make yourself eligible for two you are on track for near automatic citizenship.