Incredible US banking ineptness

When I have an issue with my credit cards or anything that is located in the USA, I call the company during their normal business hours. This way I NEVER get a Call Center. As most Call Centers are used outside normal business hours for that company. Being in Thailand, that means I have to call during my usual sleeping hours. 

On 10/2/2024 at 11:49 AM, BigStar said:

Oh, just close the account and use a Thai account. I never have any trouble w/ my Thai banks or Thai credit card. 🙂 

Do you own 600k USD in shares? How do you bring that to Thailand?

17 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

No, as a US citizen you can't open a bank account with a US bank. Almost all banks and brokerages require that you have a permanent US address to apply. And they might also run a credit check. You might be able to open an account if you have an address in the US that you can use but you run the risk that they will close it if they find out you're living overseas

this is a false statement.  I an American citizen living in Thailand over 20 years no US address or phone number for more than 10 years opened a bank acct go t credit card etc with very little problem.  There are US banks that will open accounts for Americans without a US address  and/or a US phone number.

On 10/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, jaywalker2 said:

And even when you report a fraud, they act like they don't care.

Those who can open any type of account on some others name, definitely have some connections in the financial institute. It is not possible to change addresses, phone numbers and emails without having someone inside. 

On 10/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, jaywalker2 said:

But this credit card account was using my email address and the name on the email account. So as a courtesy, instead of just blocking it, I called up Citibank to report a fradulent credit card account. First of all, it took me several phone calls just to talk to a representative. Then it was not the right representative, I had to  be transferred, they transferred to the wrong place, I had to be transferred again, I was cut off. I had to call back.

Why would anyone go to the trouble of doing this? Just flag the email as spam and forget it! Besides no bank would send a statement to an email account.