School Bus Fire Claims Multiple Lives and Injures Young Students in Rangsit

Georgealbert

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I suggest you Google bus fires before you open your mouth again. I did, so I know it´s much more frequent in India, South Africa and Thailand as some examples among about 5-6 countries in total.

really...but you neglected to give a breakdown ..ie population, percentage who use public/private bus companies, full list of makers names, where the buses were assembled and licensed, how frequent maintenance is carried out, how often the licensing authorities inspect each bus, whether governors are fitted etc. etc.

I'd guess leaking gas either caused by hitting the central barrier or perhaps it already had a small unnnoticed leak and sparks from rubbing along the Concrete central barrier ignited it.

RIP poor babies.

Edited by scoobyguy

8 hours ago, James9999 said:

If it came to a grinding halt why was it also reported that it continued for another half a kilometre? Something very wrong with that left near side wheel though. May be taking 400 to 500 metres to stop has been reported incorrectly. As for people who video a tragedy unfolding but bravely carry on videoing, what can you say.

Ghouls. Agreed, when you look at the CCTV there are no flames or explosion and in the zoomed in part you can see the bus lurch, stop and pale grey smoke starting to billow over the bus, which indicates to me extreme heat has generated from under the chassis area fanned by the forward movement of the bus, when stopped erupted into flame and fuelled by the insulation, wall and ceiling panels, seats, quickly got a hold and spread. You can see other ghoul-footage of the bus burning and the 'seat' of the fire is clearly discernible.

The Road Transport and Fire Investigators will prove the origins of the fire.

It is very sad that these poor souls had to die this way. They and their families deserve prayers. Also it must have been horrible as a firefighter or paramedic to be there. 
I just hope that they will learn from this and go back to the old days when we had fire drills in the bus to know how to escape. Obviously this doesn’t always work but it certainly helps. 

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The driver, 48-year-old Saman Chanputh, initially fled the scene but later turned himself in, citing shock as the reason for his escape. 

I'm not buying this balony.   there's more to it than fleeing because of shock.

Was he DUI ....     my guess is YES he was.  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, tandor said:

really...but you neglected to give a breakdown ..ie population, percentage who use public/private bus companies, full list of makers names, where the buses were assembled and licensed, how frequent maintenance is carried out, how often the licensing authorities inspect each bus, whether governors are fitted etc. etc.

You must have a huge problem. I stated a possibility, as it is only a few countries in the world that have this problem on a regular basis. I was not doing a study or had any desire to do a breakdown. That´s up to the authorities to do if they see fit, as I will not matter if I would do one as an outsider. So, regarding breakdown, it looks like you had one. 😉 

• Haha 1

Why is there never an investigation as to how / why this happened, so as to  maybe prevent it happening again, is it because of costs, / know how, / too lazy to do the paper work...multiple loss of lives swept under the carpet..Again

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Sad, so very, very sad.  My heart goes out to those families. 

Can they even identify the remains of their children? How awful!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Busses should not burn that quickly trapping so many inside. If this bus is one of those fitted with a cheap gas conversion somebody has blood on their hands.

Very true. Immediately I heard about this, my thoughts were how on earth a bus could catch fire this fast. I am sure, it has to be some gas contraption.

I guess there was no one inside, who was capable of handling an emergency evacuation, hence the kids would have panicked and caused confusion and pandemonium inside...

RIP little ones. You have paid dearly for some stupid adults folly. It is heart breaking, indeed.

Edited by ravip

Another tragedy caused by lack of safety most of these busses should be checked but it won't happen i see them all the time speeding and billowing smoke the drivers on their phones going through red lights its such a shame

• Agree 2

What a horrible accident. Being young children under the care of others only makes it worse.

Normally these type of buses have little hammer like window breakers situated around the bus to aid escape.

I wonder if this one had them, and if it did, whether the teachers knew what they were for and how to use them, because the youngsters were probably too young to know. Even then, it seems a long drop from those windows to the road.

46 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Can they even identify the remains of their children? How awful!

Not a nice thought.

One initial report said that the responders had found 10 bodies in the bus!

There were 19 in the rear of the bus.

The rest must have just been incinerated.  :crying:

2 hours ago, actonion said:

Why is there never an investigation as to how / why this happened, so as to  maybe prevent it happening again, is it because of costs, / know how, / too lazy to do the paper work...multiple loss of lives swept under the carpet..Again

Thai's don't care, they march on doing the same stupid and dangerous things they always do, no matter how unsafe. I asked an IMPACT employee/guard today why the people are going right through a "STOP" sign in front of him at full speed. They manage the area here in Muang Thong Thani. The traffic in both directions have a "STOP" sign at the intersection, and both have Zebra crossings directly in front of them. The answer from the guard "This isn't America", after telling him he was pretty stupid, I realized there is no changing these dangerous people. 

Edited by lordgrinz
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, john donson said:

no little hammers to break the windows? the driver fled like a coward

No he didn’t - read that initial report too (& reacted strongly) “….  The saw the Thai media showing the bus driver running to get an extinguisher… sadly too little too late… 

Nevertheless - the reports of the bus driver doing a ‘runner’ are false.

This the bus driver below: white & blue stripped T-shirt.

https://x.com/nongeunnarakmak/status/1841077331013632073?s=46&t=LdoTwzMvW73hNKXapRdM3w

(Vid may used been taken down it was working yesterday) 

12 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Thai's don't care, they march on doing the same stupid and dangerous things they always do, no matter how unsafe. I asked an IMPACT employee/guard today why the people are going right through a "STOP" sign in front of him at full speed. They manage the area here in Muang Thong Thani. The traffic in both directions have a "STOP" sign at the intersection, and both have Zebra crossings directly in front of them. The answer from the guard "This isn't America", after telling him he was pretty stupid, I realized there is no changing these dangerous people. 

Apathy at almost every facet of the culture here…

… it’s a double edged sword - it’s what makes Thailand a chilled place to be without jobswoths picking up on every small details, some called it more free & enjoy the absence of the ‘nanny state’ (as they call it) - but the tragedies are the consequence of ‘a non-nanny state’. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No he didn’t - read that initial report too (& reacted strongly) “….  The saw the Thai media showing the bus driver running to get an extinguisher… sadly too little too late… 

Nevertheless - the reports of the bus driver doing a ‘runner’ are false.

This the bus driver below: white & blue stripped T-shirt.

https://x.com/nongeunnarakmak/status/1841077331013632073?s=46&t=LdoTwzMvW73hNKXapRdM3w

(Vid may used been taken down it was working yesterday) 

In  a coiuntry where laws are followed and  checked  ALL  public service vehicles should have fire extinguishers on board, but never in Thailand is anything checked except  tourist visas ..where money is to be made

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apathy at almost every facet of the culture here…

… it’s a double edged sword - it’s what makes Thailand a chilled place to be without jobswoths picking up on every small details, some called it more free & enjoy the absence of the ‘nanny state’ (as they call it) - but the tragedies are the consequence of ‘a non-nanny state’. 

Me and Thailand just don't mesh, I hate it here with a passion. I should have never let my wife come back after finishing her PhD, I should have kept her in the USA, and paid back her University (she owed 5 years time to them - or repayment) . We would live a much better life where we were living in the USA. I kick myself daily for making the wrong choice of letting her come back here, and me following her.....Really ...Really... Really bad choice!

Wife says Thai news is saying this bus was over 50 years old and most likely the rear emergency door was inoperable. 22 kids died. Heartbreaking to see something like this happen. Trapped inside with the bus on fire. And who is accepting responsibility for this? The bus was under contract for it. 

6 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Me and Thailand just don't mesh, I hate it here with a passion. I should have never let my wife come back after finishing her PhD, I should have kept her in the USA, and paid back her University (she owed 5 years time to them - or repayment) . We would live a much better life where we were living in the USA. I kick myself daily for making the wrong choice of letting her come back here, and me following her.....Really ...Really... Really bad choice!

We (family & I) would be happy here or in the countryside but in the Uk.

There are many positives to being here.

Education / son is at an amazing int’l school that far exceeds a uk comprehensive school & many UK private schools.

Nationwide attitudes towards basic safety measures here is a major drawback. 

But can get an MRI for an ankle or shoulder injury immediately without being put on a 6-12 month waiting list (in the UK).

Many positives to living here - but this thread really showcases the extremes of the negatives….  Such a heartbreaking & wholly avoidable tragedy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Ever since my settlement here, I have used long distance coaches countless times.

I now feel I was lucky that I didn't meet any accidents while on these buses.

Heartful condolences to all souls tragically lost. 

Rest in peace...

I never have - it seems e wry week I read of a minivan crash or a bus down a ravine.

I drive here, I ride a Motorcycle here… but I don’t put my trust in bus & minivan drivers (or moto-taxi riders for that matter)

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So your wife did a runner from her Uni payback in the states...? (Asking for a friend.)

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nationwide attitudes towards basic safety measures here is a major drawback. 

But can get an MRI for an ankle or shoulder injury immediately without being put on a 6-12 month waiting list (in the UK).

My wife uses the medical part of our stay here as a positive part of being here, but I choose to look at the fact that I would rather live a healthier life, and not need medical, then to live an unhealthy life and have need medical. 

1 minute ago, watthong said:

So your wife did a runner from her Uni payback in the states...? (Asking for a friend.)

No, she is Thai, owed time to her University here in Thailand for paying for her PhD she got in America.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

No, she is Thai, owed time to her University here in Thailand for paying for her PhD she got in America.

If doing "payback" time owed to Thai Uni could have been done in the US then it would have been lot more beneficial for all concerned. Anyway I guess your wife must have her reason - which doesn't need to go into details here -to do it in Thailand instead.

(The reason I'm "asking for a friend" is because I'm in the same shoe as you in regretting making the move to Thailand, also due to wrong choice career-wise...)