School Bus Fire Claims Multiple Lives and Injures Young Students in Rangsit

Georgealbert

1 minute ago, watthong said:

If doing "payback" time owed to Thai Uni could have been done in the US then it would have been lot more beneficial for all concerned. Anyway I guess your wife must have her reason - which doesn't need to go into details here -to do it in Thailand instead.

(The reason I'm "asking for a friend" is because I'm in the same shoe as you in regretting making the move to Thailand, also due to wrong choice career-wise...)

It would have been I think somewhere between $350,000-$450,000 payback, or 5 years time working "here" in Thailand for her University, which was a pretty good deal. We decided 5 yrs was pretty short, and worth the savings. But I still think we might have been better to just pay it back and have stayed in the USA.

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

It would have been I think somewhere between $350,000-$450,000 payback, or 5 years time working "here" in Thailand for her University, which was a pretty good deal. We decided 5 yrs was pretty short, and worth the savings. But I still think we might have been better to just pay it back and have stayed in the USA.

will PM you later. Don't want to hijack this thread...

3 hours ago, Ombra said:

Can they even identify the remains of their children? How awful!

By DNA analysis.

If the family member can bring in items like tooth/hair brush the dead child used while alive.

By comparing the sample from each(burnt body and bodily tissues left on the goods used during their life).

Edited by black tabby12345

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s harsh to point the finger at the bus driver - yes he should ensure the vehicle is 100% roadworthy & safe etc…

… but, the moment he raises any issue, he’s fired & they pick from one of the many others in line to take his job & remain silent.

People from this ‘socio-economic’ strata of the Thai totem pole who are proactive & identify issues (safety issues) are seen as nothing more than trouble makers by the owners….  They’ve learned to just accept their ‘lot’ & shut up.

well you are correct. Thais tend to fix problems only after they cause injury or death. There is very little maintenance. 

I was not finger pointing. Only stating what wife told me she is seeing in Thai news. She also said, the teachers died valiantly, if they had lived then they would be blamed for not getting the kids out and saving themselves only. 

A harsh way to perceive this but most likely the wife is correct in her comment. 

45 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Remember the accident with the minibus in Pattaya a few years ago where 14 passengers burned out?
A FULL investigation, weeks of talking about new rules, etc.
Nothing has changed at the end.

Remember the accident with the pick-up truck carrying 14 people in the back a few years ago?
A Full investigation, weeks of talking about new rules (reducing the amout of people allowed to sit in the pick-up bed, reducing the amount of people inside a pick-up, etc.)

THIS IS THAILAND!!!!!
A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY RULED BY MONEY.

Agreed….   It’s always the same…

lots of noise… there will be announcements & crackdowns… then nothing until another similar incident.

Remember the Dr killed crossing the road a few years ago…. They’ve learned painted a few crossings, made a few announcements…, tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Sadly - same same - nothing changes, it’s just too much effort for this in positions of decision making power to effect such a cultural shift in attitudes. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed….   It’s always the same…

lots of noise… there will be announcements & crackdowns… then nothing until another similar incident.

Remember the Dr killed crossing the road a few years ago…. They’ve learned painted a few crossings, made a few announcements…, tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Sadly - same same - nothing changes, it’s just too much effort for this in positions of decision making power to effect such a cultural shift in attitudes. 

There are plenty of laws on the books, and hefty fines, the issue is enforcement.....until the RTP is made to do their jobs, nothing will change. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I saw a pickup carrying a lot of people,  3 days ago, and I realized how rare this sight has become in Bangkok. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

tried using a pedestrian crossing lately ?

Yes, every day. Works very well. Better than in my home-country.

Big change since the doctor died.

And it keeps getting better.

These racist undertones are not really helpful.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or the experience of being here on a daily basis and witnessing the very issues ourselves. 

You call it bigotry and racism...  we call it observation.

When I drive and pull up next to a lorry, a bus, any large vehicle and see the state of the tyres its a very common observation to see what a poor state they are in.

It is also common knowledge that tyres here are often left over-inflated - there are numerous reports of forum members having had to 'let air out' of their tyres after a replacement to set them at their correct pressure.

These observations do no exist in a void and why they are unfair as 'generalisations' when something such as this occurs and caused by a 'tyre blow out' - bringing into suspicion quality of the tyres on the vehicle is an extremely valid point void of any bigotry or racism, and born of nothing more than familiarity with where we are and how so many rules are violated... 

Absolutely True. 

It's so bad how most cars tires have poor tires.... 

I like to pay a lot of attention to details in cars, after all I'm car enthusiast, one thing I always do as a habit is check the tires when I pass by one, just a habit. even in my closed Villa when I take kids out, I would say most of the cars have at least one these symptoms:

- Overly used tires, never rotated, and some tires already can see the threads (my neighbor Isuzu have the threads already out!)

- Under-inflated, some by a lot and they driving it everyday.

- Over inflated, you can tell how the center is so much eaten up, and the corners are not. these are very dangerous and easy to blow up.

- Too old and already having cracks everywhere.

- I once spotted screws deep inside the tire for a neighbor, guided her to not remove and go asap fix it. it's still there today 😄 

I once rented a car in Chiang Mai, via those big names in the airport, I got a Toyota corolla with tires at least 8 years old, it was so dry and super slippery. They said it still had a lot of thread left 🤦‍♀️ which was true. Tires would even spin on that 1.5L weak engine, so terrible experience. 

Then the next time I book a Mitsubishi expander, they gave me a replacement Toyota Fortuner, the car was great, but the tires were really bad, not as bad as the previous time, but enough to make me nervous. 

I like the PSI a bit on the high end, normally I set 36-38PSI (that is 2-4PSI higher) I get better fuel economy and the steering wheel gets a bit lighter, while still being safe.

I change my tires every 4-5 years, regardless of thread level. I go only for Michelin ( I've had Primacy 4, Primacy SUV+, Pilot Sport 4 and 5) also had a really good results with the Continental MC6, used one for almost 5 years, then replaced with Primacy 4, on the HRV. 

TIP to everyone: Stay away from the new continental EV, and Michelin EV tires for EV cars. They are terrible, they sacrifice wet and dry performance for lower rolling resistance, that in reality only saves a few percent of range. They are not worth it, and they are bloody expensive!

• Like 1

Forget the tire! It’s a red herring!

Accidents will happen – they occur due to human error but most people don’t understand what human error actually is they mistakenly think it’s down to “stupidity” or “bad driving” – but theirs is the stupidity for not understanding the true nature of human error in road safety. …and that is what is happening in most of the comments on this tragedy.

What the crash reports never reveal in Thailand is an accurate picture of what went wrong – they will try to naively apportion blame and sweep the matter under the carpet ASAP.

The fact that it has laid bare one of the most critical issues in Thai road safety will be hurriedly ignored.

Road safety is a health issue and it is the responsibility of the government (successive governments in Thailand’s case), and the authorities don’t want to face this as it impinges of businesses and their economic plans of untrammelled development.

Thailand is not  an oil rich country, it depends on imports for its energy – so for years it has been encouraging the use on natural gas to power vehicles. …and this comes with a range of safety responsibilities that the Thai authorities need to enforce – sadly they fall short again and again. They should have been taking precautions to help mitigate the risks associated with the high volatility of CNG, making it a safe and viable fuel alternative for buses and coaches, especially in urban settings where environmental concerns are prioritized.

So how can CNG or LNG be used safely? – This is down to the government… here is an overview of the issues that need to be addressed concerning the bus (buses) involved in this incident……

First how is CNG stored on the vehicle? – In high-pressure tanks; it is stored in  tanks that are built to stringent safety standards. (reinforced steel, aluminium, or composite materials) designed to withstand high pressure and external impacts…and it looks as if the tanks on the bus retained their structural integrity. Probably imported from China or maybe Europe, they should also periodically inspected and recertified to ensure long-term safety.

All these systems are fitted with pressure relief devices to prevent explosions in the event of overpressure or fire, they release gas in a controlled manner when pressure or temperature exceeds safe limits. – but where did the fire start??

Where the tanks are placed is important on trucks it is usually outside behind the cab they can be mounted on the roof or under the chassis of a bus,  they should be AWAY from passengers and in areas that are less likely to be affected in the event of a collision. Roof-mounting also helps in case of gas leaks,  CNG is lighter than air and will rise and dissipate.

All vehicles are fitted with gas leak detection systems - CNG-powered buses are/should be equipped with sensors to detect even small gas leaks. Sensors are installed in key areas such as the engine compartment, fuel storage areas, and the passenger cabin and are connected to alarm systems, which in the event of a leak, the system triggers an alarm to alert the driver AND automatically shuts off the fuel supply to prevent further gas leakage. Did this happen??

In the engine compartment design CNG-powered buses are designed with enhanced ventilation to allow any leaked gas to dissipate quickly and prevent the accumulation of gas that could lead to ignition. – did this happen??

Special care should have been taken to reduce the risk of sparks in the engine compartment. Electrical components are sealed or shielded, and potential sources of sparks are minimized to reduce the likelihood of ignition in the presence of a gas leak. Did this happen or was it some shabby, thrown together back street wiring loom?

In the event of a collision or severe mechanical failure, automatic shut-off valves will stop the flow of gas from the tank to the entire vehicle  - well this doesn’t seem to have happened at all!!

There will also have been a manual shut-off valves that can be operated by the driver or maintenance personnel in case of emergencies, allowing the isolation of the fuel system for added safety. Obviously they were inaccessible due to the heat.

What about the onboard fire suppression system? CNG-powered buses should be equipped with fire suppression systems that automatically activate if a fire is detected, particularly in the engine and passenger compartments. These systems are designed to help control or extinguish a fire before it spreads.

Thermal fuses are a worry as they are designed to vent gas safely if the tank becomes exposed to high heat from an external fire, reducing the risk of tank rupture. Where they part of the problem?

A universal problem in Thailand is that of driving education and training – there appears to be no comprehensive training: Drivers of CNG-powered buses should undergo specialized training to handle safety crises, such as identifying gas leaks, using emergency shut-off systems, and responding to fire alarms or other emergencies. I’d like to know if this company has a training program of any kind. Of course they cost money and you’d have to pay a “skilled” driver more money.

Obviously in this appalling case, evacuation procedures failed. Was the driver trained in proper evacuation procedures?

One of the 5 Es of road safety is “Engineering” – which covers both vehicles and the road themselves – under this category one had to include maintenance and service of the vehicle – without effective monitoring by the DLT this is a huge gap in Thai road safety. The system relies on the movement of brown envelopes rather than the mechanical health of vehicles.

CNG buses require more frequent inspections than their diesel counterparts, especially in areas like fuel storage, fuel lines, and engine compartments. Maintenance personnel need to be trained specifically to work with high-pressure gas systems. Does this happen??

There needs to be regular gas leak testing which should be mandatory to ensure that all seals, hoses, and connections are secure and functioning properly.

Tanks need to be inspected and re-certified regularly:

All CNG-powered buses are equipped with easily accessible emergency shut-down switches that allow for immediate deactivation of the fuel system in case of an accident or leak. Why did this not happen??

In extreme situations, emergency venting systems can release gas safely from the tanks to prevent pressure build up and potential explosions. – did this go wrong??

Many people have pointed to the “Merc” badge on the front of this vehicle – and that’s what it is – a badge on the front of the vehicle – almost certainly this bus was coach built of a second-hand or imported chassis – even the claim that was a Merc needs to be verified

There is virtually no vehicle construction and crash safety regulation enforced in Thailand.

Were the fuel systems on this bus crash-tested?: The entire fuel system, including the CNG tanks, lines, and connectors, should be designed to withstand impact forces from collisions. I very much doubt they would stand up to serious scrutiny.

So, what is the guarantee that they remain intact and do not rupture in accidents?

Did the areas housing CNG tanks have reinforcement with extra protection to minimize damage from external impacts during crashes?

We need to ask the coachbuilder!!

On all buses passenger awareness is crucial – in this case the adults should be informed of what to do – there should be clear signage and instructions on emergency evacuation and safety procedures need to be posted inside the coaches so that passengers are aware of what to do in case of an emergency. – were they???

It looks as if at least of the emergency exits were unavailable due to where the bus came to rest but buses are equipped with emergency exits and easy-to-use systems for passenger evacuation, on all sides – this is critical in case of a fire or gas leak so what went wrong there?

There are loads of questions as yet unanswered about this disaster but it is easy to get that sinking feeling when you realise the chances of them being comprehensively addressed and answers are incredible slim. Saving face will come first.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

There are eye witness reports of the tyre blowing out ya daft numptie !!!! 

I do agree with the rest of your well put together post - very clear.

But your second paragraph ignores stupidity instead citing ‘human error’ - but I’m sure if there were a metric by which to measure accidents vs type of accidents vs IQ there may be a correlation - stupid people just do more stupid stuff !!! 
…, call it ‘Dumb a$$es driving like d!cks’ if you like - but when I see people doing silly stuff on the roads its often shows that’s they’re just not very bright !!!  I’m guessing of course, but I’m guessing there is a correlation… 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I really don't thin I sould be giving your answer the time of day - it is so daft - I said its a red herring not that it din;'t happen - theree really are some dim comments on this thread

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Accidents will happen – they occur due to human error but most people don’t understand what human error actually is they mistakenly think it’s down to “stupidity” or “bad driving” – but theirs is the stupidity for not understanding the true nature of human error in road safety. …and that is what is happening in most of the comments on this tragedy.

What the crash reports never reveal in Thailand is an accurate picture of what went wrong – they will try to naively apportion blame and sweep the matter under the carpet ASAP.

The fact that it has laid bare one of the most critical issues in Thai road safety will be hurriedly ignored.

Road safety is a health issue and it is the responsibility of the government (successive governments in Thailand’s case), and the authorities don’t want to face this as it impinges of businesses and their economic plans of untrammelled development.

Thailand is not  an oil rich country, it depends on imports for its energy – so for years it has been encouraging the use on natural gas to power vehicles. …and this comes with a range of safety responsibilities that the Thai authorities need to enforce – sadly they fall short again and again. They should have been taking precautions to help mitigate the risks associated with the high volatility of CNG, making it a safe and viable fuel alternative for buses and coaches, especially in urban settings where environmental concerns are prioritized.

So how can CNG or LNG be used safely? – This is down to the government… here is an overview of the issues that need to be addressed concerning the bus (buses) involved in this incident……

First how is CNG stored on the vehicle? – In high-pressure tanks; it is stored in  tanks that are built to stringent safety standards. (reinforced steel, aluminium, or composite materials) designed to withstand high pressure and external impacts…and it looks as if the tanks on the bus retained their structural integrity. Probably imported from China or maybe Europe, they should also periodically inspected and recertified to ensure long-term safety.

All these systems are fitted with pressure relief devices to prevent explosions in the event of overpressure or fire, they release gas in a controlled manner when pressure or temperature exceeds safe limits. – but where did the fire start??

Where the tanks are placed is important on trucks it is usually outside behind the cab they can be mounted on the roof or under the chassis of a bus,  they should be AWAY from passengers and in areas that are less likely to be affected in the event of a collision. Roof-mounting also helps in case of gas leaks,  CNG is lighter than air and will rise and dissipate.

All vehicles are fitted with gas leak detection systems - CNG-powered buses are/should be equipped with sensors to detect even small gas leaks. Sensors are installed in key areas such as the engine compartment, fuel storage areas, and the passenger cabin and are connected to alarm systems, which in the event of a leak, the system triggers an alarm to alert the driver AND automatically shuts off the fuel supply to prevent further gas leakage. Did this happen??

In the engine compartment design CNG-powered buses are designed with enhanced ventilation to allow any leaked gas to dissipate quickly and prevent the accumulation of gas that could lead to ignition. – did this happen??

Special care should have been taken to reduce the risk of sparks in the engine compartment. Electrical components are sealed or shielded, and potential sources of sparks are minimized to reduce the likelihood of ignition in the presence of a gas leak. Did this happen or was it some shabby, thrown together back street wiring loom?

In the event of a collision or severe mechanical failure, automatic shut-off valves will stop the flow of gas from the tank to the entire vehicle  - well this doesn’t seem to have happened at all!!

There will also have been a manual shut-off valves that can be operated by the driver or maintenance personnel in case of emergencies, allowing the isolation of the fuel system for added safety. Obviously they were inaccessible due to the heat.

What about the onboard fire suppression system? CNG-powered buses should be equipped with fire suppression systems that automatically activate if a fire is detected, particularly in the engine and passenger compartments. These systems are designed to help control or extinguish a fire before it spreads.

Thermal fuses are a worry as they are designed to vent gas safely if the tank becomes exposed to high heat from an external fire, reducing the risk of tank rupture. Where they part of the problem?

A universal problem in Thailand is that of driving education and training – there appears to be no comprehensive training: Drivers of CNG-powered buses should undergo specialized training to handle safety crises, such as identifying gas leaks, using emergency shut-off systems, and responding to fire alarms or other emergencies. I’d like to know if this company has a training program of any kind. Of course they cost money and you’d have to pay a “skilled” driver more money.

Obviously in this appalling case, evacuation procedures failed. Was the driver trained in proper evacuation procedures?

One of the 5 Es of road safety is “Engineering” – which covers both vehicles and the road themselves – under this category one had to include maintenance and service of the vehicle – without effective monitoring by the DLT this is a huge gap in Thai road safety. The system relies on the movement of brown envelopes rather than the mechanical health of vehicles.

CNG buses require more frequent inspections than their diesel counterparts, especially in areas like fuel storage, fuel lines, and engine compartments. Maintenance personnel need to be trained specifically to work with high-pressure gas systems. Does this happen??

There needs to be regular gas leak testing which should be mandatory to ensure that all seals, hoses, and connections are secure and functioning properly.

Tanks need to be inspected and re-certified regularly:

All CNG-powered buses are equipped with easily accessible emergency shut-down switches that allow for immediate deactivation of the fuel system in case of an accident or leak. Why did this not happen??

In extreme situations, emergency venting systems can release gas safely from the tanks to prevent pressure build up and potential explosions. – did this go wrong??

Many people have pointed to the “Merc” badge on the front of this vehicle – and that’s what it is – a badge on the front of the vehicle – almost certainly this bus was coach built of a second-hand or imported chassis – even the claim that was a Merc needs to be verified

There is virtually no vehicle construction and crash safety regulation enforced in Thailand.

Were the fuel systems on this bus crash-tested?: The entire fuel system, including the CNG tanks, lines, and connectors, should be designed to withstand impact forces from collisions. I very much doubt they would stand up to serious scrutiny.

So, what is the guarantee that they remain intact and do not rupture in accidents?

Did the areas housing CNG tanks have reinforcement with extra protection to minimize damage from external impacts during crashes?

We need to ask the coachbuilder!!

On all buses passenger awareness is crucial – in this case the adults should be informed of what to do – there should be clear signage and instructions on emergency evacuation and safety procedures need to be posted inside the coaches so that passengers are aware of what to do in case of an emergency. – were they???

It looks as if at least of the emergency exits were unavailable due to where the bus came to rest but buses are equipped with emergency exits and easy-to-use systems for passenger evacuation, on all sides – this is critical in case of a fire or gas leak so what went wrong there?

There are loads of questions as yet unanswered about this disaster but it is easy to get that sinking feeling when you realise the chances of them being comprehensively addressed and answers are incredible slim. Saving face will come first.

ok mate. :coffee1:

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do agree with the rest of your well put together post - very clear.

But your second paragraph ignores stupidity instead citing ‘human error’ - but I’m sure if there were a metric by which to measure accidents vs type of accidents vs IQ there may be a correlation - stupid people just do more stupid stuff !!! 
…, call it ‘Dumb a$$es driving like d!cks’ if you like - but when I see people doing silly stuff on the roads its often shows that’s they’re just not very bright !!!  I’m guessing of course, but I’m guessing there is a correlation… 

Human error

In the context of road safety and the "Safe System," human error refers to mistakes, lapses, or incorrect actions made by individuals while driving or being involved in road traffic. These errors can occur due to various factors, such as lack of attention, distraction, fatigue, impairment (e.g., due to alcohol or drugs), inadequate driving skills, misjudgement of situations, microsleeps or simply making a wrong decision.

The Safe System approach recognizes that humans are fallible and prone to errors, and it aims to design and manage road transport systems in a way that considers human limitations and reduces the risk of serious injuries or fatalities resulting from those errors.

The Safe System acknowledges four main components:

1.         Safe Road Use: Encouraging drivers and road users to act responsibly, obey traffic rules, and avoid dangerous behaviours like distracted driving or speeding.

2.         Safe Roads: Designing roads and infrastructure to minimize the risk of crashes and reduce the severity of potential injuries when crashes occur. This may include measures like installing guardrails, improving visibility, and implementing traffic calming measures.

3.         Safe Vehicles: Promoting the use of vehicles equipped with advanced safety features that can mitigate the impact of collisions and protect occupants and other road users.

4.         Safe Speeds: Encouraging appropriate speed limits and enforcing them to reduce the likelihood and severity of crashes.

By acknowledging the inevitability of human errors and addressing the contributing factors through the Safe System approach, the goal is to create a more forgiving road transport system that minimizes the impact of those errors and ultimately reduces the number of road traffic injuries and fatalities.

Human error is considered to be inevitable. Humans are fallible creatures, and despite our best efforts, we are prone to making mistakes. This is a natural aspect of being human, and it applies to various aspects of life, including driving and road safety.

In the context of road safety, it is important to acknowledge that humans are not perfect drivers. We can be affected by factors such as fatigue, distraction, stress, and limitations in our attention and perception. These factors can lead to errors in judgment, lapses in concentration, or incorrect actions while driving.

The Safe System approach to road safety recognizes the inevitability of human error and aims to design and manage road transport systems in a way that considers these human limitations. Instead of blaming individuals for their mistakes, the focus shifts towards creating a forgiving road environment that reduces the severity of crashes and minimizes the consequences of human errors. Often these are just minor momentary relapses or mistakes it is the CONSEQUENCES that can be mitigated. The number of actual collisions in Thailand is the same as in UK – but it is the consequences that are so different.

By addressing the contributing factors and designing the road transport system to accommodate human fallibility, we can make significant progress in improving road safety and reducing the number of accidents and fatalities. This approach involves not only improving road infrastructure and vehicle safety but also promoting responsible road use and adherence to traffic rules to mitigate the impact of human errors on road safety.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

UPDATE
Rescue Team Claims Highly Unusual CNG Tank Placement in Tragic Bus Fire

IMG_6288.jpeg

A popular social media page has shared images from a rescue team revealing an unusually placed CNG tank in the bus involved in a devastating fire that claimed the lives of 23 students from Wat Khao Phraya Sangkharam School in Lan Sak District, Uthai Thani Province. The rescue team described the tank placement as unprecedented, leading to grim conclusions about the cause of the fire.

The page ‘Drama-addict’ posted a story from the rescue team on-site. They discovered that the gas tank, which they believed one of the primary causes of the fire, were installed in an abnormal location within the bus.

The post read: "The rescue team on the scene sent this to raise public awareness. You may have seen the CNG tank at the back of the bus, but I want to inform you that I am one of the firefighters who inspected all the heat sources. We found two additional tanks installed inside the lower deck of the bus."

The post explained that the tanks were located behind the driver’s seat on the right side and behind the front door on the left. These positions were highly unusual, as they had seen no other bus with CNG tanks installed in such spots.

The firefighter expressed concern, stating, "If there had been a gas leak, the gas would have had no way to escape. It would circulate within the lower deck and flow up the stairs to the second deck. Since CNG gas is lighter than LPG, it rises, unlike LPG, which stays near the ground."

The firefighter emphasised the dire consequences of the tank's improper placement and the difficulty in containing such a dangerous situation.

IMG_6289.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-4.png

image.png

AS I mntioed earlier - but that is not the point - the point is WHY? - how come the bus was permitted to be constructed like that (Mercedes, my Arrrrrse)

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, kwilco said:

AS I mntioed earlier - but that is not the point - the point is WHY? - how come the bus was permitted to be constructed like that (Mercedes, my Arrrrrse)

Rhetorical question or you have no experience of how things work in Thailand.

& the blow out was relevant as it is this which led to the damage to the LNG tanks.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Human error

In the context of road safety and the "Safe System," human error refers to mistakes, lapses, or incorrect actions made by individuals while driving or being involved in road traffic. These errors can occur due to various factors, such as lack of attention, distraction, fatigue, impairment (e.g., due to alcohol or drugs), inadequate driving skills, misjudgement of situations, microsleeps or simply making a wrong decision.

The Safe System approach recognizes that humans are fallible and prone to errors, and it aims to design and manage road transport systems in a way that considers human limitations and reduces the risk of serious injuries or fatalities resulting from those errors.

The Safe System acknowledges four main components:

1.         Safe Road Use: Encouraging drivers and road users to act responsibly, obey traffic rules, and avoid dangerous behaviours like distracted driving or speeding.

2.         Safe Roads: Designing roads and infrastructure to minimize the risk of crashes and reduce the severity of potential injuries when crashes occur. This may include measures like installing guardrails, improving visibility, and implementing traffic calming measures.

3.         Safe Vehicles: Promoting the use of vehicles equipped with advanced safety features that can mitigate the impact of collisions and protect occupants and other road users.

4.         Safe Speeds: Encouraging appropriate speed limits and enforcing them to reduce the likelihood and severity of crashes.

By acknowledging the inevitability of human errors and addressing the contributing factors through the Safe System approach, the goal is to create a more forgiving road transport system that minimizes the impact of those errors and ultimately reduces the number of road traffic injuries and fatalities.

Human error is considered to be inevitable. Humans are fallible creatures, and despite our best efforts, we are prone to making mistakes. This is a natural aspect of being human, and it applies to various aspects of life, including driving and road safety.

In the context of road safety, it is important to acknowledge that humans are not perfect drivers. We can be affected by factors such as fatigue, distraction, stress, and limitations in our attention and perception. These factors can lead to errors in judgment, lapses in concentration, or incorrect actions while driving.

The Safe System approach to road safety recognizes the inevitability of human error and aims to design and manage road transport systems in a way that considers these human limitations. Instead of blaming individuals for their mistakes, the focus shifts towards creating a forgiving road environment that reduces the severity of crashes and minimizes the consequences of human errors. Often these are just minor momentary relapses or mistakes it is the CONSEQUENCES that can be mitigated. The number of actual collisions in Thailand is the same as in UK – but it is the consequences that are so different.

By addressing the contributing factors and designing the road transport system to accommodate human fallibility, we can make significant progress in improving road safety and reducing the number of accidents and fatalities. This approach involves not only improving road infrastructure and vehicle safety but also promoting responsible road use and adherence to traffic rules to mitigate the impact of human errors on road safety.

inattentiveness, carelessness, negligence, dangerous and recklessness..then factor in intentional to each and you have a selfish, know-it-all driver = anything can happen at a moments notice.

7 minutes ago, tandor said:

inattentiveness, carelessness, negligence, dangerous and recklessness..then factor in intentional to each and you have a selfish, know-it-all driver = anything can happen at a moments notice.

to anyone not just Thai drivers.

Edited by kwilco
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

& the blow out was relevant as it is this which led to the damage to the LNG tanks.

Accidents happen - the blow out merely showed the the coach was improperly built - the build of the 

coach is the issue = it it had been built correctly then whatever the accident there should not have been a fire.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

School Bus Fire Victims Identified

1727857400_506580-tnamcot-1024x578.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 2 (TNA) – Relatives of the 23 victims killed in Tuesday’s school bus fire in central Thailand gathered at the Institute of Forensic Medicine on Wednesday morning to claim the bodies of their loved ones.

Forensic officials began preparing coffins early in the day, planning the transportation of the remains back to Uthai Thani province. On the third floor, designated as a waiting area, grieving parents and guardians arrived to provide DNA samples for identification.

Photo: Thai News Agency

Full story: Thai News Agency

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png