Is Thailand Value for money

Celsius

18 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Lucky you don't use the roads.

Fortunate for you they built government hospitals.

Immigration offices are only there for foreigners, (like you).

Guessing there are no street lights where you live?

And the list goes on..................

You forgot the air you breathe 

44 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You forgot the air you breathe 

And you seem to have forgotten everything that at the moment you don't pay tax for, why not be grateful instead of whinging?

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_millionaires

Most of the wealth of these millionaires is tied to their home, illiquid asset, so the majority of these millionaires need to stay where they are, and pay "millionaires" prices for everything.

For example if 5% of these millionaires try to sell their house and move somewhere else, they may find that they are not millionaires anymore, as the house prices will plummet, as there are not enough millionaires to buy them.

I would question your first sentence but I welcome any statistics you have to back up your claim.  I know about a dozen US millionaires, half of whom I am fairly familiar with their financials, and their homes make up about half of their million in assets, not 'most'.  The other half would be stocks, 401ks, mutual funds, cars, furnishings, etc., other investments, and, in 3 or 4 cases, gold.  

One example, of those I know.   School teacher, retired, age 74.  She has the two things I mentioned in my earlier post.  1.  Greatest Generation parents.  2.  Homeowner.  She inherited money in the form of stocks from her parents in 2019.  At the time the stocks were worth about $300,000.  They are now worth $428,000.  

Like many Americans, she purchased a home during her working years, which she now owns mortgage-free.  The home has increased in value over the last 35 or 40 years and is now worth about $500,000.   She and her husband, who did pool maintenance, own 2 cars with a combined value of about $50,000.  They also own a large boat.  I have no idea of the value but I have been on it and you can sleep aboard it.  Let's say $50,000. 

I think we are over 1 million already and I haven't figured in her husband's assets--he also inherited money from Greatest Generation parents.  He and I have talked stocks and I know he also has a stock portfolio, which likely has grown, along with his wife's.   

The key takeaway from my example is how ordinary these two are.  Neither had an exotic, super high-paying job.  Neither won the lottery.  Neither, as far as I know, bought Apple at $22 a share when it went public.   Neither did anything special except lucking out with GG parents and wisely buying a home.   I think a good chunk of America's millionaires would be variations of this example.

Your second sentence makes little sense.   Millionaires in the US are scattered all over, not lumped in one place.  If 5% chose to sell at one time, the 5% would also be scattered all over, with little, if any, impact on the market.  It could be that 5% of millionaires' homes are already on the market at any given time--I'm too lazy to check as it's not worth bothering with.  

I also don't think millionaires have any more trouble selling their homes than anyone else does, should they choose to--especially with the number of millionaires growing every year--500,000 in 2019, for example.  If a home is just half of someone's million in assets, as I think it is for many, the house selling would be in the 500,000 dollar range, a normal price in many places in the US and not a bridge too far for a lot of buyers.

24 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

And you seem to have forgotten everything that at the moment you don't pay tax for, why not be grateful instead of whinging?

Another massive bootlicker.

Actually everyone in Thailand pays tax, including tourists.

It is called VAT.